1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Tales 2016

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Previously on Christmas Tales:
    Christmas Tales: 2007
    Christmas Tales: 2008
    Christmas Tales: 2009
    Christmas Tales 2010
    Christmas Tales 2011
    Christmas Tales 2012
    Christmas Tales 2013
    Christmas Tales 2014
    Christmas Tales 2015

[​IMG]

Once again my family's Christmas fest was held at my cousin's awesome house. Dinner was ham, baked salmon and mashed potatoes, plus rolls. And once again the TNT Christmas Story marathon was the background noise.

I Learned Something Today: today I learned one of my cousins (who wasn't attending today) was hit by a car once. This happened all the way back when she was in high school and I never heard about it until now. She was riding her bike along 82nd Avenue, which is a dangerous street, but she was in the bike lane. And she had on fishnet stockings because she was on her way to perform in "Chicago." It turns out that when the cops arrive on 82nd Avenue and see a high schooler in fishnet stockings, they only assume one thing.

The story was brought up during the Leg Lamp scene.

[​IMG]

This was something new: my mother, my uncle and my cousin Alexa all playing the violin at the same time. Separately, they're pretty good at it. Simultaneously, they sounded horrid.

[​IMG]

Speaking of Alexa, if you look back at all nine Christmas Tales, you can see her grow before your eyes. And you're too lazy to do that, you can also see it on this family portrait on the wall. Today I Also Learned why she was named Alexa: the name means "Defender of Mankind." Badass.

[​IMG]
    My parents asked for a Christmas wish list from me. I had Gravity Falls Journal 3 on that list, so I wasn't surprised to get it, but they threw me for a loop by throwing in Final Fantasy XV. It was on the more expensive end of the list, the end they always ignore. The first thing I had to do when I got home was cancel my Amazon order for that game.

Now about Gravity Falls Journal 3: Let me tell you that this is one of the funniest darned books I've ever read. I almost never laugh out loud when I'm reading something, especially in social situations, but when I started flipping through this, I could not hold it back. Just look at this one page. Why were none of these seen on the show? Or were they?

The violin concert may have been a dud, but cousin Eli (now sporting a Mountain Man's Beard) came to the rescue with his electric guitar licks. I could have just shown another picture, but you really need to hear it for yourself. He's good.

Now tell your Christmas Tales. "I did nothing" also counts, so you have no excuse.

2. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

Thanks to recommendation from the "Best DVD Sets" article, I got the Freaks and Geeks Yearbook Edition DVD. I also got my own copy of a book about actors who died during production of their TV series (which I previously had to rent twice this year from a library well out of town), some Starbucks compilation CDs, and one of the two True Value holiday CDs that I was trying to get a hold of. Journal 3 never even crossed my mind though - maybe I'll find the special blacklight edition under the tree next year!

3. VanceTheVHSGuy

I got two movies from MST3K, Mitchell (the uncut version that Warner Archive released) and "Manos" the Hands of Fate (the remastered Blu-Ray). Not much happened, some family came over and it was very warm in my town (I doubt there's been snow on Christmas where I live).

Speaking of MST3K, RiffTrax sent me a $10 gift card, which was strange because I thought it was just for people who backed the MST3K kickstarter or has bought anything from RiffTrax before. I have never done both until now.

4. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I got Ancient Aliens DVD sets. Yes. Don't laugh. I also got a theremin. It's really groovy. My annual bacon calendar. Super Mario Maker for 3DS. The View-master VR headset with two packs. And a shirt that says "I pooped today!"