Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers CGI/live-action hybrid film in development

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by John Pannozzi, Jan 31, 2014.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi 30 Years of Turtle Power

2. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

This is a stupid idea. I don't see it working, but I could be wrong. But if you are going to take an old Disney cartoon into live action, they should do that with Gargoyles that could actully work, it a lot of elements from X-Men.

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

If it does well, t could lead to movies based on other Disney Afternoon shows. Maybe they'll even make a Darkwing Duck movie.

4. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Eh... I liked the show a lot when I was a kid, but I don't see it translating well to the live action/CGI arena.

5. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator Moderator

The original cartoon placed emphasis on scale though, since because they were so small, everything to them appeared quite large, so seeing the real world from such a perspective in a live-action film might actually work. I'm sure that when it was announced, there weren't many expecting great things from a 101 Dalmatians live-action movie either, but that apparently was successful for Disney, so I'll wait to hear more about this project before forming too much of an opinion. The original cartoon did have a 5-part origin story though IIRC. Also, IMO, this will probably guarantee the release of the 2 remakes of the Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers games from the NES, plus character releases for Disney Infinity, so consider that a positive if you're not thrilled about the live-action idea.

6. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

I like the Muppet movie a lot, but I never like the cartoons into live-action boom going on recently. Every one I've seen I couldn't stand, from Flintstones, to Scooby-Doo, to Chipmunks, to Smurfs. And if the cast is replaced with a bunch of celebrities, no thanks! The last thing I want is Katy Perry as Gadget.

7. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!" Moderator

This more than likely won't be very good. But if it gets the rest of the show out on DVD, more power to 'em.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator Moderator

Great. So the Rescue Rangers can share the spotlight with lame human actors like Neil Patrick Harris, Paul Rudd and Tina Fey, instead of getting to be the stars of their own movie.

9. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter! Moderator

The Rescue Rangers were a product of their time. They don't really fit in with today's post-millennial world.

Chip 'n Dale would be fine on their own, maybe including Donald as an antagonist. The other rangers... Eh...

10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

The good news is, they probably won't be quite as lowbrow and insufferable as the Chipmunks were.

Heck, just the fact that Disney remembers they still have an audience for their 80's properties is more than I expected.

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

Calling this early: no Tress MacNeille. Instead Gadget will be played by a pop star who becomes popular between now and the time this movie comes out.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

A live-action/CGI hybrid of the Rescue Rangers? That sounds, at worst, absolutely horrid.

13. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I've been thinking about this since hearing the news today and I'm warming up to the idea a little bit. I know they're going to over-emphasize the humans but the Rescue Rangers did help humans sometimes maybe the story wont be so bad.

If they do not cast Tress MacNeille, Corey Burton and Jim Cummings in their iconic roles they will be giving up any hope of good will for this film. They had better at least be in the cast in some capacity. I'd be willing to accept say Kristen Bell as Gadget she was Veronica Mars after all. Since Chip and Dale will be modified anyway no reason to get screen celebrities to voice them like in the Chipmunks movie but they probably will do it anyway. If Fat Cat is in this film and he's not voiced by Jim Cummings, there will be hell to pay and he should have Monte too unless by chance Peter Cullen would be up for it.

Hopefully this leads to the Disney Afternoon shows seeing the light of day in film and other media and finishing the DVD releases. How about some Darkwing Duck in Disney Infinity and/or Kingdom Hearts? I'm begging for it at this point.

14. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

I think this might work. Unlike the Smurfs and the Chipmunks, Chip'n Dale was an adventure series, so there's no need to 'modernize it' for the kids. No pop music, no awkward introductions to modern technology, no average joe human characters to supervise them and luckily, unlike the 'Munks, Chip'n'Dale were drawn to scale, so the realistic CGI remakes will make their realistic proportions less daunting. To be honest, a Chip'n'Dale remake should've been done awhile ago, because most old Skool remakes nowadays are from cartoons about childlike animals getting into mischief. This show actually has them DOING things and getting into peril by their OWN choices because they're rescue rangers. There's a multitude of stories that you could tell with an adventure series reboot than with the slice-of-life ones.

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

There will most likely still be humans, as much the humor in Chip 'N' Dale's Rescue Rangers was the main characters' small scale in comparison to our world. Also, one of the Rangers' recurring nemeses was Professor Nimnul (a human). Also, since the movie will be a live action/CGI hybrid, this most likely will mean that the main characters will be voiced by celebrities and not by professional voice actors. They'll probably cast Justin Long as Chip, Kevin Hart as Dale, Selena Gomez as Gadget, Hugh Jackman as Monterey Jack and Michael Winslow as Zipper.

16. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I am both excited and frighten by this.
    So what wrong with Monty and Gadget?

17. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Aren't we 2 months early for April Fools? Seriously who thought of this being a good idea had took too much on the old puff the magic dragon.

18. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi 30 Years of Turtle Power

I just started a Facbook group dedicated to making sure this movie is good, and even included a link to a form on another site where you can contact the President of Walt Disney Studios among other people. If enough people write in and say they want Tad Stones and Alan Zaslove to be consultants and Tress, Corey and Jim to reprise their roles from the original series, maybe Disney will get the message.

19. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

Not sure if I want.

I know it's Disney, but I'm still nervous that they'll pull an Alvin&TC on us and make a movie that's 50% toilet humor, 40% pointless pop culture references, 9% casting fails, and 1% what made said advertised characters enjoyable. I'm semi-confident Disney wouldn't resort to that, but I still have my worries.

20. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

I wish they would all just live my childhood memories alone. Soon they will be any thing left untainted of cartoons from my childhood.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014