1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charter acquires Time Warner Cable (Update)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Daikun, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I doubt it was specifically them. They also want my name and E-mail so they can spam me. There's gotta be a better petition site than this.

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It was them.

They have an Unsubscribe option.

There isn't.

Who else could there be, anyway? Petition Online? Change.org? We've seen how ineffectual they are. Free Press isn't just another petition site; they're an advocacy group that actually gets things done.

They do more than just put your name on a webpage. They also encourage phone calls, mail, and rallies. They've even sued the FCC when they were loosening their grip.

3. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I signed up for it. There's just no benefit for me or any consumers whatsoever if this merger goes through.

4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I signed - just because...

5. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Comcast customers have fun with the company's "customer service" over this news.

[video=youtube;gybYkzAipjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybYkzAipjs[/video]

6. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

The notion of competition in cable has always struck me as odd considering...well, there's only one cable company where I live so, yeah, no competition. And as weird as it may sound to praise Comcast for something (I really hate their service, 24hour help line my butt) the only reason there's any high speed internet options or competitive phone rates where I live is because of them.

7. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

I don't get what's the big deal about this? Comcast is a much bigger company than Time Warner, the latter is just losing subscribers and money. Both merging together could also means good things...more channels, cool features, more HD channels, wide availability, etc. I don't see nothing wrong with that.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've tried to get rid of cable and just keep the internet, but Comcast makes it so that having internet and cable is cheaper than just the internet alone. Fortunately, the neighborhood I moved into is getting Verizon FIOS installed, so I'm hoping they're service is better, but I'll pretty much go with whoever's the cheapest.

9. simpsonsfan

simpsonsfan Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm glad I live in an area without Time Warner Cable now. Most of Maine has TWC, and a few areas have Comcast. I have a small company called MetroCast for my phone and internet. Switched the tv portion to Directv. I do feel bad for the people who will get Comcast though. All I know is I never want an internet cap. For the $50 a month I pay for internet I expect to be able to use it as much as I want every day.

10. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

I'm not sure how to feel about this, I live in California and have TWC, but my question is, what is bad about Comcast?

11. I.R. Shokew

Everything - internet will be be capped and websites may be made impossible to get on. All to force more money out of you, outlaw and destroy innovation, and make us into a third world nation, just so they can rule over us, just like in the Hunger Games. You should NOT want that at all! I sure don't.

It may be up to us to break up companies like this - this screams Hunger Games level fascism - I looked at the map, and what they'll take over will make us all slaves.

Why Bad Internet means America CAN & WILL end up like The Hunger Games sooner than later:
    Do You Have Sucky Internet? This Map Shows It's About to Get Worse For Many Americans - PolicyMic

Why Big Cable needs to be taken down, like every corporation needs to be by us, now more than ever, and how they're making us into a third world trash-heap, unlike the rest of the world:
    Big Cable Wants to Outlaw Super Fast Broadband in Kansas - PolicyMic

Why This may be OUR ONLY HOPE: Time Warner Cable Shareholder Sues To Block Comcast Merger

12. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I'm sorry, let me get this straight: a cable company wants to take over the world and create a dictatorship? I didn't know NBCUniversal was run by a terrorist. And comparing a merger with two companies with slavery, a controversial topic based upon racism and hatred is pretty terrible.

And one more thing; STOP WITH THE HUNGER GAMES COMPARISONS! It's got old a LOOONG time ago, and the society in the story is ruled by a dictator, not a media and communications business, so your complaint makes no sense. Just saying.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

His nonsensical points aside, it does suck how cable companies basically have a monopoly in many areas, giving consumers no choice but to buy their packages. And when a company has a monopoly, it gets lazy (read: Bad customer service) and greedy (Read: Rising bills). That's a valid concern about this merger.

And holy cow, I had no idea the U.S.'s overall internet speeds were crappy compared to some other countries. We need to get with the program, especially if we're going to pay these high prices!

Also, I never thought I'd say this, but Fiber is one Google product that I'd love to see succeed, if nothing else to create some competition.

14. I.R. Shokew

I'm sorry if I'm being too passionate about this, but the ramifications of this are terrifying and leave nothing positive of note to be desired. At all. It's a stifling of innovation, it's an assault to our freedoms of speech, choice, and information, and it further enhances a dangerous precedent about the future of the internet in general - I cannot stand by and not call it out on what it truly is...

As a TWC customer who shares internet and TV with my family, I feel every reason to fear this merger - there are little to no alternatives for good internet due to municipalities in my state of South Carolina being corporately prevented from giving us good internet service in general, which is something this state could really use like FiOS or Google Fiber is capable of giving us - something these greedy companies don't want this struggling and failing state to have that it desperately needs, especially in today's technological world.

Without these things in general, like other nations have without much infighting to get them installed, we could be one step closer to becoming a third world country, due to a lack of resources to service the people who need them.

Internet access is a human right, according to the UN, and cheap and fast service is also such - the fact that the US doesn't understand that (same issue with healthcare, which needs to be cheap and accessible without complaint from the middleman, another thing I'm passionate about) speaks volumes for why I feel the way I feel about the sad state of our nation today!

Seriously, where is someone to break up these large companies when you need them - I miss the days when companies like Bell Atlantic getting broken up was the norm.

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

How about we look at a map of Panem instead?

[​IMG]

Do you see what's different? Large portions of Panem are under water. Other parts are uninhabited wilds. This is a society ravaged by some nearly apocalyptic event, plus a heaping helping of war. It's not the result of a bad cable merger, so let's cut out the hyperbole before Suzanne Collins starts asking for royalties, It is a bad thing for consumers, though, I agree. It'll hurt in terms of choice, in net neutrality. and with expanded bandwidth caps. Also, the stupid pissing matches that get networks pulled off cable providers effect more people the bigger the company is.

16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

...And their reasoning would be that all of these cool new features, channels and availability would cost money to initiate, thus giving both companies a perfectly good legal excuse to raise their rates, because they'd have very little direct competition. When you're a monopoly, you don't need to compete in order to stay on top, because you're the only game in town.

17. Beemo

Beemo Member

As far as The Hunger Games go, one of my favorite bloggers makes a good case of why it's totally unrealistic.

18. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I hear ya Dudley, I used to pay 80 bucks for just Comcast internet and nothing else and I always felt it was more than a little outrageous.

If current TWC subscribers get channels that Comcast doesn't offer in most areas (such as Boomerang) then that's gonna suck for that by itself but with more control of the market Comcast will be able to charge more because there is less competition.

19. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Your favorite blogger has never been to eastern Kentucky or West Virginia. The problems in District 12 are based on real ones. There's a lot of poverty here. Coal miners don't go to business or engineering school, and they are paid relatively little considering the danger of the job.

And the government in the Hunger Games controls the populace with starvation and everpresent threats of violence and death,North Korea style. I don't think deciding not to work at the mines one day is an option.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

But as brought up before, a cable provider usually has control over the area or neighborhood and there's nothing one can do about it. So Comcast's dominance is nothing new as far as I'm concerned. And I can't speak for anyone else but there's always satellite as an alternative. It's cheaper but it has drawbacks of its own
    So soon, I can choose between keeping Comcast or having Fios or satellite installed.