1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Charter acquires Time Warner Cable (Update)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Daikun, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

#1 Daikun, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Not sure what to say, but I remember Time Warner being the best cable service I subscribed to. Too bad I had to let it go cause I moved to a town where it doesn't exist, but I had fun with it.

3. Megumi

Megumi ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

This may be the only way Time Warner Cable can stop being bad in the New York City area.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

5. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

This is why we need fiber optics - better internet, better television as well (but not by much...).
    Seriously though - my internet service sucks - and I know it's going to get worse just so the NSA can spy on me for no good reason - that's what this is truly all about.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

You can discuss the political ramifications of said monopoly in this thread, I don't mind. Just heed the debate rules.

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I'm glad the infection called Comcast isn't in my area and I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with them and the doubling of rates that are bound to come post-merger.

8. Daikun

Does your area have TWC, though?

9. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

I'm not an American, but I'm aware on how large Comcast is, how is this allowed under competition rules? (unless it's crafty politicians again). Liberty Global aka UPC (The European equivalent to Comcast in terms of size and also my cable company) just brought Ziggo in the Netherlands and is planning to buy out ONO in Spain. Back in the 90's there were several local cable companies and now there is only one national cable company on the UK mainland (excluding IPTV).

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Boo to monopolies.
    They recently raised my cable bill by $5. No I'm not bitter.

11. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

More reasons for cord-cutting I guess. But how can this be allowed if the FCC struck down the AT&T/T-Mobile merger?

12. MDawg

Thankfully no. We have Cox.

13. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Is this even legal? I thought we had anti-monopoly laws in place to prevent such a merger.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

People whose best broadband option is cable are going to have a hard time cord cutting when Comcast brings it's bandwidth caps to town.

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

But this article says the two companies together cover approx. 30% of the pay TV market. What am I missing here?

16. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I think that article's a bit off. If this deal goes through, then Comcast will have about 30 million subscribers which is about 40% of the market. They can say that they'll try to keep it under 30%, but I don't buy it for a second.
    But what scares me the most about this is that Comcast now has internet speeds and cable prices for almost the entire Eastern Seaboard in the palm of their hands.

17. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

The say they will divest enough customers to keep it under 30 percent to appease the Department of Justice. Even then, allowing this would be a baldly anti-consumer move, proof the anti-trust regulators are working for the companies and the companies alone. There's no upside for cable customers here.

18. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

...All the more reason to keep the TV off. I personally just need the internet and I'll find my TV that way. This just reeks of something that's going to further encourage rebel behavior against the domestics of the country itself. And with the way things are between the rich, the middle, and the poor, it ain't happening fast enough, IMHO.

And my family has TWC - they aren't going to be pleased with higher prices and trashier service - I know I'm not. My dad always said fiber-optics rules, and I wholeheartedly agree - though I agree more, however, with al a carte services. That's the way to go.

19. MDawg

A noble claim, but fruitless considering the company that owns the cable also owns the data connections and they're not fans of net neutrality at all. Expect even more brazen moves towards a closed, tiered internet if this deal goes through.

If you really care about this, you'll be demanding that the internet services be declared as common carriers so all data can be considered equal. The internet should be treated like a water pipe or power line. What you do with it is up to you.

20. Daikun

Free Press has started a mass petition which will send tons of letters to the FCC and Department of Justice to block this merger.

If you're a customer of TWC or Comcast and you don't want this merger happening, please sign the petition. (Likewise, if you're not a customer, more signatures would still help.)

Please note that this is the same group that helped stop the AT&T/T-Mobile merger. They can do the same again.