1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Channel Awesome" Talkback, Part 21 (Warning: Strong Language Throughout)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This still comes off as incredibly insulting and offensive. The reason why it isn't tactful or popular is simply because of how this is rude to those who do change their gender identity, especially when it is difficult for people to do this and even harder for them to be accepted in society because of this kind of mindset

If you're so focused on not being truthful to science and biology to the point where that outweighs a person's own desire and preference to their gender identity, then you just end up looking extremely close minded. If a person is born as a woman and prefers to be identified as a man, then their personal preference and comfort should matter more than what biology says. Saying otherwise is just plain horrible.

#581 Light Lucario, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Yeah, I probably will look like a fool or worse to some. But Thats a price I must pay, losing my image for the sake of the truth. I can not let truth be buried under political correctness.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It doesn't come from nowhere, or from trying to be perfectly inoffensive to everyone. There have been studies done that prove some people have male brains but female bodies, or vice-versa. It's a real condition.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Please don't act like you're making a noble sacrifice for the truth. What you are doing is being downright offensive.

This isn't even a matter of being politically correct, although anyone who complains about that is usually trying to say that they don't want to hide how terrible they are in my experience at least. It's called being a decent human being by respecting other people's gender identity. I'm not all that familiar with how transgender is myself, but I do know that it is an actual condition and changing pronouns if people would prefer something else is really not hard. If you can't even do that, then you can't say that you care about that person, or at least not all that much, since you're refusing to understand that a person's feelings and gender identity matters more than what biology says.

Also, I've had family members with mental breakdowns. Changing gender identity is nothing like that and to suggest otherwise enrages me. I can't believe that you're being so insensitive and cruel. Like I said, you're not standing up for the truth.

#584 Light Lucario, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  5. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Maybe you're right in pointing out that calling this a breakdown is wrong. I have been through a few myself, and with others. I tend to project my own experiences onto others. During such crisises, it's hard to tell what is and what isn't real.

For that I apologize. On that matter, I was being too hasty and jumping to conclusions.

But it is not bigotry to be logical. How am I hateful? Not once did I speak anger or spite, not once did Seek offense. And even so, calling someone "hateful" is irrelevant in a discussion - ad hominem is not something relevant.

Identity can not ignore facts, otherwise it is no more real than saying 2+2=5, or saying that the Earth is flat. To live a false identity is not healthy. It might bring temporary Pleasure, but in the long run it will not help them. If one cares about someone, one does the best thing.

6. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

So, are you saying that a person that is transgender is living a false identity? And that, it's not healthy?

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You don't have to speak out of anger or spite or seek out to be offensive on purpose in order to be hateful. Simply refusing to respect someone's gender identity or compare it to a mental breakdown is hateful. Saying that being transgender is living a false identity that will hurt them in the long run is being a bigot, or at the very least extremely offensive and insensitive.

You keep thinking that gender identity is a fact, but that isn't the case for everyone. For many people, including myself, you do identify as the gender you were born as without ever really feeling the need to question it, but there are many people who do identify as a different gender than they were born as or are gender fluid. This is something that they deal with as they get older and as Peter mentioned, there are cases where it is an actual physical condition. It isn't set it stone the moment you're born. I'm no expert on the subject, but I do know that people coming out as transgender is important and it does help people out emotionally and psychologically to be identified as their preferred gender. Saying that being transgender is only going to hurt them in the long run is just insulting and rude.

I double checked his twitter and JO does prefer to be identified as man with him/his pronouns. Being so adamant about it at this point would go against JO's wishes and come off as pretty insulting to him as well. You may not agree or understand with why he came to this conclusion, but having the respect to call JO by the preferred pronouns would be good instead of acting like you're so noble for going against the political correctness.

8. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I would say a moderator needs to step in because nothing is going to get resolved on a controversial subject and this line of conversation will result in nothing more then hurt feelings especially when personal attacks against a board member have been used; but it would seem one of the participants is a moderator.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not a moderator for this section, so there's not much I can do beyond reporting posts officially. Since we aren't going to go anywhere and this conversation has already gotten out of hand, it probably would be best to drop it. If any of the moderators of this section want to take further action, that would be up to them and not me.

While I still stand by that transgender should be respected instead of looked down upon, I apologize for getting too heated up with the conversation. Dealing with other matters on other sites and especially the comparison to mental breakdowns push me off the edge and my anger flared up. I'm not trying to excuse my tone, but to explain what happened since I try to be more calm and respectful than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #589 Light Lucario, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  10. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

The Nostalgia Critic reviews Labyrinth.

The fire dancers scene actually used a black screen process and not a blue screen: this has been your pointlessly nerdy technical nit-pick of the day.

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Doug has had enough.

I said it before and I'll say it again: we need a new Blip. We need a video site dedicated to these kinds of reviews so they won't be constantly lumped in with piracy and censored.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Even though I haven't watched any of the NC videos for quite some time, it is sad that being stuck on YouTube has hurt a lot of people, including Doug. I think I heard that they aren't even making money off of the reviews they've been doing lately, although I don't know if that has changed at this point since that was a couple of weeks ago.

It seems rough for a lot of the reviewers on YouTube, so hopefully something can change either with YouTube or we do get a new Blip. Something does need to change so that people who depend on revenue to live off of can actually get the money they need.

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

All right! The inevitable day has arrived!

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually never saw the music video for this song before, but I was never really into music videos or MTV even when it was about music for that matter. I'm more used to associating this song with Mickey Mouse than anything else. Learning more about how successful the singer was in so many other areas was pretty interesting though.

15. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

That Shopping A-Z song,,it's like it was DESIGNED to kill her career.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope I'm not out of place of saying this, but Blip shutting down has hurt virtually everyone on the site. Not only do we have to deal with YouTube bots flagging down our work, YouTube doesn't pay out as much as Blip did.
    Some have found stability through Patreon, but not all of us are that lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That is quite sad. I thought that YouTube would pay more than Blip, especially when I heard about a lot of problems people were having with Blip during its last couple of years. That would further explain why a lot of the producers are grateful for Patreon, but it is sad that people have to struggle so much and that not everyone can get enough Patreon support.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Blip USED to pay more than YouTube, but ever since the buyout occurred by Maker and Disney, it got less and less, especially at the start of Janurary 2015

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Again I don't have a blip or youtube account where I make content so I could be a 100% wrong but I do know that at first you had to become a partner to even be able to monetize your videos to even get paid for your work on youtube and it was a longer process back in the day. And though it's different now I imagine even a few years back you could technically make more money on youtube... if you were one of those most popular "pulling over a million subscribers easy" channels over being paid on blip. Since I'm fairly sure youtube pays the more success you get thus why the largest channels and partners and can afford their own studios and staff to work with and such. But the problem is actually getting to that rare bit of success few did and blip paying generally a lot better for those who only had hundreds to hundreds of thousands views per video.

And yeah this whole situation especially for those like Dudley who are going through it (even though he really shouldn't but if Brad Jones got copyright claimed for his midnight screenings videos, then really who is safe at this point?) is really painful just hearing what you guys have to put up with. So I'm sure dealing with directly would be much more obnoxious and grating and something I hope you find a way fight back more on. Honestly maybe this is my own limited thinking but quite honestly what really should be implimented is a system where if someone files a copyright strike that winds up being over turned because they had no reason to do it and the person who got the strike wasn't breaking any sort of law, the person who filed it should not only be penalized but fined. Since honestly only the actual companies it seems can really issue these and actually have them take effect so if they foul up they should be charged by youtube and be the ones forced to give a fee to the person for their illegal claim. Seems like that would not only help re-pocket some of the content creator's money but also either force them to stop using copyright bots or program them more accuratley so they don't wind up wasting so much money because of their follies.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I don't deal with copyright strikes, since I don't use footage like the others.
    But I do have to deal with YouTube and its lousy CPM, and its insistence of having people upload videos weekly and with longer running times. The site now favors LPs, Reaction videos, and other series that can be done with minimal effort.
    Many animators resort to relying on Patreon to further their creative endeavors, and I'm constantly reevaluating and changing what I have in production to find what works best.

• Informative Informative x 1