1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Channel Awesome" Talkback, Part 21 (Warning: Strong Language Throughout)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Antiyonder, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

He's The Nostalgia Critic: He remembers it so we don't have to!
    He does it all. Reviews crappy movies, shows and specials (even if they're good, decent, so-so) usually from the 80's/90's, dresses up like a bum to talk about the latest movies, puts on a fancy robe and gives perverted answers to various questions, reveals the secret life of famous video game characters, reveals pirate tips and many many more things.

Then of course we have other entertainers such as The Nostalgia Chick who reviews bad shows/movies for the female demograph since the Critic is well a man. Trying to give more information and style over just snarkiness, The Chick (usually joined by BFF Nella) dosen't put out as much content as the critic but it stiil knows how to get people talking.

There are various other contributors worth paying attention to, like:
    CR: A geek gives info on quite obscure shows/movies characters that you may or may not of ever heard of, even if they were in one of your favorite franchises.

Film Brain: A British fellow (not to be confused with the host of Shameful Sequals MikeJ) that also goes over movies, that aren't nostalgiac but still crap filled heaps he gives the old Bad Movie Beatdown to.

Paw: One of the various music critics on the cite. After coming Full Circle he went on to talk about other music games, and now talks about music movies and the history of a King's Quest.

Phelous: The Sarcastic Monotone Canadian who goes over the worst horror flicks imaginable. Had a tendencey to die at the end of every review but he's better now, or is he?

Brad Jones: As the Cinema Snob he goves over Exploitaion and Z-Grade flicks you've probably never heard of. His other shows include him trying weird foods and drinks, how to execute moves seen in various kung fu movies, going over the filmography of Bruno Mattei, and even covering the history of VHS "Big Boxes" with a busty assistant.

Obscurus Lupa: A female critic chick who goves over Z+ Grade Movies, terrible episodes of good shows and dubbing over cheesy trailers.

Todd In The Shadows: A shadowed figure who takes a look at the current pop songs on the radio and breaks down how horrible they are.

Nash: Host of What The *uck Is Frong With You, that goes over idiotic people involved in actual recent news.

Marzgurl: A runner up for the Nostalgia Chick who mostly looks at the latest anime news from the overseas or just over here.

JesuOtaku: A young lass who goes over various anime and grades them by various criteria to see how they fare.

And of course many many more.

Disclaimer: It's important to note that the videos are for satire purpose thus not a full out complaint.

Those videos and more can be found on thatguywiththeglasses.com. You may also go to blisteredthumbs.net (a spinoff site of thatguywiththeglasses made up of various contributors from TGWTG and new fresh faces) which features the latest news on video games, as well as various reviews of the newest, oldest, most popular and even most obscure games and gaming devices around."

Related Threads:
    - Previous Talkback

- Linkara's Atop The Fourth Wall Talkback

Credit for show summaries provided by Neo Ultra Mike.

#1 Antiyonder, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

#3 Peter Paltridge, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  4. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

^^^I just copied this from the last time, but I'm going to remove it now. Apology for the oversight.

If there's any other modifications I need to make, some imput would be appreciated.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The comparison he makes to Arvil Lavigne still feels so fitting, especially when I think of how some of their earlier songs were compared to their more recent songs. I haven't heard the song itself prior to the review, but I think that I did read or heard about the music video, which doesn't really help the song at all.

6. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't say that I hate Taylor Swift, even if her music does little for me. She seems lie a sweetheart, and the criticism that she only writes love or break-up songs is ridiculous. I mean, besides pretty much every other pop artist having tons of songs about their beaus or exes, that's all that The Beatles wrote before they started doing drugs, and they're still being worshiped today.

But "Shake It Off", wow. I really do not like that song. At all. Todd did a great job on the video.

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

So usually when I pick TGWTG for videos I'm looking for something I can have on in the background while I'm drawing. Brad's Midnight Movies are good for this sort of thing.
    Then I found this podcast, which was in the "other videos" screen once it ended.

Watch Snobcast: Wizard Word Chicago | The Cinema Snob Episodes | Entertainment Videos | Blip

I know this is very long, and you'll probably have to find something to do yourself while you're listening to it, but I would not be linking this if it hadn't been so great. It's Brad and Jake's true tale of their many adventures at Wizard World. I enjoyed this like I have enjoyed no other TGWTG offering all year. This whole story is so hysterical that towards the end, I was crying from laughing so hard. I had to quit working.

8. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I am excited about next week's Top 11 Avatar episodes. Any chance "Boiling Rock part 2" makes the list, while "Boiling Rock part 1" is on the worst list. Speaking of which, Doug never mentioned one of the more brillent parts of that episode was after Azula and Ty Lee retreated from the gondola in which they were fighting, Ty Lee had this look of remource and sadness, which is an example of show don't tell, give audaince credit from getting suttle things that you see much in western animation.

Two things I hope to see next week, both of which are long shots, which is one is more of a long shot I don't, first of a American Dragon: Jake Long shout out, and Gray DeLisle to call in.

9. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

10. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

11. zoombie

The Top 11 Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes with guest star Dante Basco is up.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...ic/44818-top-11-best-avatars-with-dante-basco

Bravo Nostalgia Critic bravo, before I give my thoughts on the sketches, let me talk about the list.

First of all I agree with him about "Ember Island Players", though he could have mention some of the casting, like actor Zuko is voiced by Dante's brother, or actress Azula is voiced by Tara Strong who is Grey DeLisle best friend if not at least very close friend, why Grey hasn't guest voiced on My Little Pony yet is beyond me, I am waiting for that. Plesent surprise that "The Chase" I always felt is a very underrated episode, Doug thinks like me when it comes to that. Though it didn't mention the funniest part when Ty Lee broke her nail fighting Sokka, that was hillarous. Speaking of underrated or underused oh Ty Lee how awesome you are. He also didn't mention Katara go over the line with making fun of the blind. At least she appologied or recongnised her errors later on, unlike another episode I will talk about that later. I love you Katara but sometimes you can be as mean as Azula.

While not on my list, "Zuko Alone" another excellent episode, if you love to see Zuko, this is the episode. It is scarry Azula was that way even as a little girl, was she ever innocent. But the ingrate villagers at the end, dam I wanted to pop them one, but Zuko has no one to blame but himself, I think if Zuko was just revealed as a fire bender I think maybe just maybe they would have overlooked that, but who told Zuko to announce he was the Fire Naton prince.

If he was going to have the finale take up one slot, than "The Guru / Crossroad Of Destiny" should have counted as one episode. They both great episode, Toph inventing metal bending. The Day Of Black Sun he does count as one episode, it is awesome episode, the Critic nailed Azula perfectly, she is someone you just love to hate. You have to appreciate her art of villany.
    I find the lack of "The Blind Bandit" distirbing, that is one my list and one of the most awesome episodes ever. I love Fire Naton man.

"The Southern Raiders" great episode, I sympatise with Katara's plight, but just like in "The Chase" when she yelled Sokka and said Sokka didn't love their mother enough. I know it is heat of the moment and she is real emotional, and I am not even mad for her saying it, but no appology, that is messed up. Like I said Katara she can be mean as Azula, just she is on our side and controls her self most of the time.

I thought the Critic was going to have no Book 1 episodes, I was going to be so mad, because when I put my list, I try to keep ibe balence with every episode in every season, so many episodes in Book 2 and 3 I left off my list ot make room for Book 1 episodes, and yes "The Storm is top notch. No Zhao episodes on the list, Zhao I always is very underrated character. Yes he is a one dimentional cliche villain, but he is so awesome at being cliche. I love his villan rants like at the end of "Avatar Roku". I memorised that rant, the same way I do some of Azula's best lines. No prince, no avatar, all I do have are 5 trators, tell your stories to the fire lord as far I'm concerned you are all guilty, take them to the prison hole. That is awesome, Zhao even more so than Ty Lee gets so little love, so let me give him some props.

And the finale, defentely should be number one, and be on everyone's list. It lived up the hype, and had some funny moments to, like the Ember Island Player Aang cameo, or Sokka thinking Appa ate Momo, or Suki's failed attempt to give Ozai a nickname. Yes we get the Zuko's mother tease, and Dante's right The Search is a good read, though personally I was more interested in Azula than Ursa. And I still want to know what will happen to Azula, and Dante said all the characters got finaled, the epiloque we got no information on Azula. Could have at least mentioned what happened to her, I had to find out in the Sozin's Commet of what happened to her.

Great list, now for the episode itself in the sketches.

You know it is going to be great when Dante's is keep saying honor, honor honor and cos playing as Zuko. I wonder if Dante is on the Honora bandwagon for the name of Zuko's daughter. We will find out soon enough in Book 4 of Korra. If this is like a sequel to the Last Airbender review, I think Tamara's not knowing how to dress up as a Avatar character shows some continuity and acknowledge she wasn't aroudn in the Last Airbender review. And her mistake costumes are references to Hook I think Captain Hook, the second one was American Dragon: Jake Long reference I wonder if Dante's reaction to that was kind of a Zutara reference I heard he is a Zutarian. And the third one was Toph when it the moment passed, I would have laughed out loud if they did a Zevo - 3 reference. If you don't know what Zevo - 3 you are not alone that is a very obcure reference.

Now did they shoot this in New York? The Barnes & Noble looks exactly the one in New York on 45th street and 5th avenue, which I shop at it regularly, dam it would be cool if I was there. I love the promotion for The Search, has Doug read that yet, I love to see a vlog on the comics. And getting Dante confused with the actor from the Last Airbender hillarous. And the flame war gag. I was glad in the end, they found pease perhaps in the future Dante can be an allie of Nostalgia Critic.

And LOL at the Jake Long cosplay, omg Dante looks just like him. It brings back memories to another cartoon show, Captain N, in the opening that had the live action Captain N, if they wanted to Disney could have done that with Dante. BTW, Doug should check that show that out it is pretty good, not only does it have Dante in it (as well as Mae Whitman), but it has John Dimaggio vocing a talking dog, so it something from each of his vlog series. Scary ain't it. Another thing I want to mention, American Dragon: Jake Long is the show responsible for me hearing about Avatar: The Last Airbender, it was because of some AmDrag related message boards I heard about the show, I checked it out, the rest of is history. So I owe that show for introducing me to Avatar, I just wanted to share that with you, just like Doug owes The Last Airbender live action movie from introducing him to Avatar. Don't forget this all started with people reguesting Doug to review the Last Airbender, which lead to the vlogs, so M. Night actually did some good unintentionally of course.

12. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Do yourself a favor and Google "Epic Rage Time: The Incredible Derp".

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that the new Nostalgia Critic video was really entertaining. The list was pretty solid and contained some of my favorite episodes of the series. The main issue I have is that I think Zuko Alone should have been at least in the top five, if not top three, episodes of the list. It is one of the best episodes of the series I think being put at number seven was a tad too low. Other than that, it was a great list and I agreed with most of the other choices he made.

I got so many laughs from the bits with Dante Basco. They were clearly having so much fun with the Zuko cosplay and the firebending. The flame war was a cute gag too and I liked how they were eventually able to talk about the finale, which definitely deserved the number one spot on the list. I wasn't expecting the American Dragon: Jake Long reference at the end. That was a nice surprise.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

No Tales of Ba Sing Se, huh? Thought for sure it would have turned up.

15. zoombie

I don't know if Doug has ever seen American Dragon: Jake Long, if he had or sees it in the future, based on what he has said in the vlogs which shows you the way he thinks, I think at first he is going to think or theorise the Jake's dad is the Huntsmaster. Doug was totally off on the Blue Spirit identity, he thought it was a old lady medicine maker when the answer was so obvious, and he thought it would be a great twist if Korra's dad was the one responsible for the SWT culture center bombing. I could totaly see Doug over analyse things or at least say "wouldn't it be a great twist if it was the father."

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well wasn't that the best episode in a long time!
    This is the first time when the skits were genuinely enjoyable! Dante Basco as Zuko fighting NC was fun, especially since I wasn't expecting the fights to lead to a bookstore (I gotta get that "The Search" book!) but heading into the YouTube comments was hilarious! And the effects were pretty nice, too! I especially love the callback to Jake Long. That was a nice surprise. I wonder if Doug ever heard of the show before he filmed this.

As for the list itself, it's close to perfect. However I'd trade The Ember Island Players and The Puppetmaster with The Western Air Temple and The Blind Bandit (Toph's debut), respectively.

17. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, I was surprised that wasn't on the list, too. Otherwise, that was an excellent video. By far my favorite part is the fight between him and Dante inside a YouTube comment box. Now that's creative!

Also Tamara's Toph costume is so beautifully made! I want one!

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

20. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well supposedly she's going to make a video tommorrow which will explain more but it's obvious she's done making videos. She's spent months working on various other projects (written reviews and trying to get a visual novel romance game off the ground she actually created) and never really updated anyone about videos. She went on big long twitter rants about... lots of things but none of it was about videos so kind of obvious she was not only done with them but done with the site in general based on her feelings of at the very least TGWTG commentors and a lot of commentors on her stuff in general. Which is kind of sad as honestly I really did like her vids and honestly for at least a couple of years she was my favorite female producers on the site and like... 4th in general actually just behind Linkara, Todd and the Critic. But yeah this isn't like a new development she was terrible at actually updating videos and keeping constant content going. Since at least like late 2012 when she gave up on her regular series and kept flapping around to various other shows and series to try and start and then kept dropping or and fidgeting and altering before pretty much doing nothing whatsoever. It's obvious her interest have waned for awhile and even though it seemed like she would try again after almost being cancelled off blip... nope she just gave up cold turkey. I won't pretend to know what's it like having a job as a video producer or making content and the like but seems like she wasn't really cut out for it doing it as a living and soon started getting quickly bored and easily distracted after awhile.

Still a shame to have her go as she did a lot of great work and I wish her the best in the future to hopefully pursue something she can make more of a living on without having so many issues in doing it. And sadly she joins the list of the TGWTG talent I liked giving up on the site to pursue their own thing. Kind of sucks good people are leaving while some still stay on (like Lotus Prince but I won't rant about that) but eh I appreciate at least someone being upfront about why they were leaving and not going out in a whole mess of contversery like say Spoony or going a lot further back Distressed Watcher and Aussie Guy.