Censored Pokemon cards?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Umino, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Umino

Umino Honey Flash?

Here's something I've been meaning to ask for awhile. Does anyone have a list of Pokemon cards that were "censored" or "changed" for the American release? I know there was the infamous Kasumi/Misty's Tears, which originally had a picture of Misty nude. I remeber there were some others, but I can't remeber.

Can anyone help?

2. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

Wait, what? Nude Misty?!? o_O?

3. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

http://www.theescapist.com/pokemon5.htm

4. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

The card in question, Kasumi is completely nude, which you can see here (nsfw, moderator may wish to remove link). However, when you compare the card with how Kasumi was portrayed in the Manga, this one's more innocent and harmless, more so a piece of art. Something I think is lost in the US card. The censorship is understandable (due to cultural differences), but I think it's a shame the original design was completely changed.

5. VenerableViper

VenerableViper New Member

6. King

King I'M GOING TO JAPAN!

Oh, “THAT” card. I got tons of that card back then.

7. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh! cards tend to be pretty edited. Lots of religion, nudity, and gruesome images. But my favorite edit has to be this:

:D

8. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Water Omotics, the Harpy family, Thunder Nyan Nyan, Gemini Elf, Dark Magician Girl, Dian Keto (good thing on that one) etc etc. plenty of 'em.

9. Tash

Tash New Member

Team Rocket edition Grimer was censored, too. The original version's eyes were peeping up the the girl's skirt, but the US edition has him looking forward.

10. sdp

sdp God

Team Rocket set Grimer was looking at a girls skirt and one of his eyeballs was changed in direction and makes him look crosseyed.

Gym Heroes Misty's Tear had completely different artwork.

Gym Challenges Koga's ummm something has a right faced swastika which they didn't want the american public to confuse it with the counter-clockwise Nazi swastika so changed to a generic symbol.

Neo Genesis Moo-Moo milk also had different artwork, the original had a pokemon drinking from utters while the american just showed two glass cases of milk.

I'm pretty sure thats all of the edits up to the current set, so either they have more restrictions to be America friendly or just plan things out better. And yes the game is still going with new sets since I know someone is going to ask.

I think there was also a muk that was changed since it seemed like he was flipping you off but that might have been from another Pokemon thing and not the TCG.

11. Tash

Tash New Member

A few of the Jynx cards were edited for obvious reasons, too. (it's most noticeable on Base 2 Jynx)

12. sdp

sdp God

No the base set/2 Jynx was always purpleish in Japan, just an art choice. Other Jynx's after that one were black like they were supposed to, it wasn't until much later that the whole Jynx/racism lawsuit happened and was officially changed to purple.

13. Pokefan

Pokefan Guest

There is a particular card that sparked plenty of controversy. It's called Koga's Ninja Trick, or in Japanese Koga no ninja torikku, that had an image of a swastika, a symbol of Nazi Germany. It was changed to a different symbol when released in America.