1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Category:Animation studios

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by MonkeyFunk, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

Discussion thread for Category:Animation studios. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Okay, since the subject of adding more articles about creators came up in the Cadpig topic, I figured it might be an idea to talk about what studios we could add.

Right now, we have Aardman, DIC, Hanna-Barbera, Studio Ghibli, Toei, Walt Disney Television Animation and Warner Bros.

Notable ommissions so far: Disney proper, Pixar, Sunrise (since there's a bunch of their series in the wiki already), MGM...

anyone got any more?

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Hmm, there are quite a few Japanese animation studios, in time I will add them. My faithful Newtype USA collecting will pay off there, as the magazine did in-depth looks at the history most anime studios worth knowing about before they finally stopped printing. In time, some fantastic articles can be developed from all of that.

For the near future though, the giants of animation should probably get special attention.

3. MonkeyFunk

Gainax and BONES both have a couple of series each listed. They'd be good places to start, Japan-wise.

Oh yeah, forgot a big one: The National Film Board of Canada.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Stupid question, maybe: How do you edit a Category page? I clicked the Edit button and only got a generic message that it's a page for animation studios, with nothing listed, despite that it shows seven studios right now.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Open the article for what you want to include in a category. On the edit screen, scroll to the bottom and type the following:

[[Category:Sample Category Name]]

Hope this helps!

6. MonkeyFunk

Well, I tried to start an article on Disney today, but had to give up because I didn't know what arm of the coporation I should be writing about. I mean, here's what threw me:

Walt Disney Productions
    Walt Disney Pictures

...what's going on here?

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

What, indeed...I'll research this when I have some free time.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Okay. Sounds as though the original label was Walt Disney Productions, and then in 1983 Walt Disney Pictures was established and feature films have been released under that since then. That would explain why recent feature films are listed under Walt Disney Pictures while classics like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Peter Pan are listed under Walt Disney Productions.

I'm thinking the baseline article should be Walt Disney Company, as that would be inclusive to all the different arms of the company that are involved in animation. Looks as though the counterpart to the Walt Disney Television Animation article would be Walt Disney Animation Studios (aka Walt Disney Feature Animation before 2007). I think that's what produces Disney's theatrical animation. Walt Disney Pictures is basically a distributor label; when Pixar makes a movie it's Walt Disney Pictures that's distributing it.

9. MonkeyFunk

I'm still thrown, to be honest. I looked up Walt Disney Feature Animation on IMDB, and their credits only go back to The Great Mouse Detective :confused:

EDIT: Ah, I looked on Wikipedia, i's because before then it was part of Walt Disney Productions. Good enough for me, so up goes the article.

10. MonkeyFunk

These are the five most wanted studios:

The Walt Disney Company (16)
    Sunrise (9)
    National Film Board of Canada (7)
    UPA (6)
    MGM (6)

I've been scraping together info on the NFBC. Any takers for the rest?

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'll probably get to Sunrise. Maybe Disney too, but I'd rather deal with Walt himself and Mickey Mouse first. So, if anyone wants to take it...