Casshern Sins Question

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Gold Guy, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

FUNimation lists Casshern Sins as a TV-MA on the DVD and on their website/Hulu.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, weren't all the episodes on Toonami TV-PG and TV-14?

If so, were they edited in any way (bleeped words), or did FUNi just make a mistake in this case?

2. Zipp_Rezzeppa

Zipp_Rezzeppa No dice, Cowboy!

It's been a while since its tv run or my last viewing of the BD's (which I've actually been meaning to re-watch) so I honestly can't recall if there's a difference between the two. I don't THINK there's any foul language that needed to be bleeped out but I could be wrong. If it was edited and re-rated for its broadcast run maybe it was to remove some or parts of some graphic scenes? It's hard to know at this point. Maybe this could be a question for a future Toonami Q&A.

3. Evo

Evo Agent of Providence

There were no edits that I know of, and I've watched on TV and Funimation.com. I have noticed the MA rating and I'm pretty sure it's a mistake.

4. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

As we discussed in a top a few months ago (or probably almost a year ago; time flies), anime ratings tend to be pretty arbitrary. Fullmetal Alchemist had TV-MA with the "American Cowboys" thing back when they had almost never done that, but the completely uncensored DVDs are TV-PG. I don't know if anything was altered for Casshern Sins on Toonami, but I wouldn't put much stock in those ratings.

5. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

Heh, I remember how my OnDemand listing for Oblivion Island gave it as "TV-MA". Please note that Oblivion Island is a children's film.

6. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

From what I understand, the only thing censored in the dub was the S-Bomb and "God Damn", which they just bleeped. As to why the DVD and Blu-rays are rated TV-MA... I really don't know. There isn't really anything terribly objectionable in the series outside of usual violence and just being in general a dark series. I remember FUNimation rated Fullmetal Alchemist TV-14 (or was it TV-PG?) on the DVD release, but they had to censor some episodes when they originally aired back in the day. Brotherhood was the same way, except instead of censoring the episodes, a couple episodes scored a TV-MA, due to gore and decapitation, even though the video release is rated lower. It's also how FUNimation's release of Fairy Tail is rated TV-14, but the dub is as clean as they can get (except for content that was originally there), with almost no swearing. Toriko's the same way too, yet it's rated higher.

Honestly, the only one's who know would be FUNimation. They have different rating standards than the network. That being said, the rating system can also vary from network to network to, even with something getting a lower rating on one network, the standards and practices might rate it higher on another. It happens and will probably continue to happen unless there's some universal standard that every network and video company follows, and even then, there'll probably still be inconsistencies.

7. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

I have the first one-cour releases, and they're all TV-PG.