Cartoons with banned episodes

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Cartoon Ruler, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

There's a lot of banned episodes from cartoons. So that's why I made this thread.

There's some I can name that are banned:
    • Cow and Chicken: "No Smoking" - Banned because of smoking.
    • Pokemon: "Beauty and the Beach" - A disgusting episode that was banned because of James being dressed as a girl and...well...you do not want to know. :shrug:
    • Tiny Toon Adventures: "One Beer" - Banned because of drinking beer.
    • Ren and Stimpy: "Man's Best Friend" - Ren spanking recurring character George Liquor with an oar is what caused the episode to be banned in the U.S.
    • Looney Tunes: "Southern Fried Rabbit" - Banned bacause of Bugs Bunny making a 'blackface' in a scene.
    • Dexter's Laboratory: "Dexter's Rude Removal" - Banned on TV because of lots of swearing in it. The episode wasn't actually made for television, it was made for private conversations.
    • Regular Show: "Ello Gov'nor" - Banned in Austraila, because of its horror themes.

2. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

To be honest, it was not disgusting. American cartoons, for instance, have always done the cross dressing aspect in the past. It's just that Kojiro took it a step further than most characters would've done in an animated series aimed at kids. I realize this is your opinion, but I wouldn't go as far as labeling it as such.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Supposedly this episode was heavily edited and was played only once or twice. There are more Pokemon episode that were banned. There was the infamous Porygon episode that caused seizures and an episode that took place in the safari zone that was filled with guns.

4. Raguoc

Raguoc Gettin' Motivational

Cow and Chicken- Buffalo Gals: Banned due to having lesbians, and stereotypes of ones at that.
    Fairly Odd Parents- Twistory/Hail To The Chief: These episodes were banned because some people felt they poked too much fun at the presidency. Honestly, Twistory should be looked at in a bad way because of its insults to the British. It implies that without America winning the Revolutionary War, the entire world would be stick in the late 18th century. Things like light bulbs and vacuums could clearly have been invented by someone other than their respected creators, American or not.

5. Butterstar

Butterstar Bring Sakura back to the US!

Powerpuff Girls: See Me, Feel Me, Gnomey: You know, I really don't know on this one, but I think it was due to strobe lights. It's on the DVD set, though.

Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi: Tsunami AmiYumi: Banned due to a tsunami recently happening in either China or Japan. Don't remember. Never aired in the US, but other countries aired a heavily edited version entitled Surf's Up, with the whole tsunami plotline removed.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

There's no "supposedly" about it -- I've got the tape that proves it aired (minus James). I had a feeling they weren't going to add it to the rotation and made sure to save it.

The Porygon episode though is gone forever. Only aired once in Japan, and gave anime as a whole an epileptic bad rap for a while.

There's actually a Pokemon episode even more lost than that one -- it didn't air in Japan because a natural disaster happened that mirrored the one in the episode, and it never aired anywhere else. It'll just be on a shelf somewhere forever.

7. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

Family Guy - "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein": Banned because of heavy Jewish themes some may find offensive. The ban was lifted in 2003/2004.

Family Guy - "Partial Terms Of Endearment": Banned because it dealt with abortion. Available exclusively on DVD.

Bonkers -
    "Fall Apart Bomb Squad" & "New Partners On The Block":
    Banned due to the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. Both episodes had terrorists/bombers as villains.

The Simpsons -
    "The Cartridge Family":
    Banned in the UK due to it's plot about guns (and possiblt the soccer riot at the beginning).

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Another banned TTA episode: the Toons from the Crypt episode, which was banned from Fox due it possibly being too scary for children (the episode finally aired when the show moved to Nickelodeon in 1995).

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I'm pretty sure that it was only aired once. I don't know why the edited version was never release on DVD though. Like ChibiGoku mentioned, I wouldn't say that the episode is disgusting. The cross-dressing gag went a bit too far for the standards of a kids show in the U.S.

I remember hearing about that episode. It was an episode in AG where there were there were earthquakes and this was shortly after Japan had suffered from a series of earthquakes. It was probably a filler episode and it didn't have anything significantly different about it like the three banned episodes from Kanto, so it isn't really remembered as much.

The only other banned Pokemon episode I can think of was an episode from Johto where Brock was sick in the Ice Cave. I believe it was banned because of Jynx as its design was described as racist due to the similarities between the design and the racist depictions of African Americans. Though, Jynx's face was eventually changed from black to purple somewhere in AG so that people wouldn't be offended by it and they wouldn't have to worry about banning an episode where Jynx plays a significant role.

10. Fanaticalbutbusy

Fanaticalbutbusy New Member

Rumor has it, it was canceled because of the capitalist vs. communist themes.

11. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"

The Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode "Boston". It was supposedly done in reaction to the Mooninite Bomb Scare of 2007.

Unlike most of the other banned episodes listed here, this one is really banned. We know absolutely nothing about the plot, it has never been run anywhere or shown at conventions, and it wasn't even released on DVD.

12. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I don't find crossdressing disgusting in the least. You could stand to be less prudish. On the subject of banned Pokemon episodes, in addition to the Advanced Generation episode that didn't air due to earthquakes, there's that big Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma episode from Best Wishes. Oh, and another banned in the US one is The Legend of Dratini which had a lot of guns and one of my favorite Pokemon. Also, Ash catches all of those Tauros which just appear out of nowhere in the US version...

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Despite the amount of time that has pass since those episodes were originally meant to air, I don't think I would say that the Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma episodes are banned. TV Tokyo said that they would air those episodes at a later date and they did alter that Fishing episodes that was also skipped, so I don't see why they wouldn't do that for the Team Plasma episodes, especially when they've already spent the time animating both episodes and unlike most of the other banned episodes, there was something really important happening in those two episodes. They probably haven't aired the episodes yet because they're trying to figure out how to re-insert that two-parter back into the series. The Fishing episode was relatively easy, but they'll have to figure out a way to do that with Team Rocket being in the Desert Resort with Ash and his friends following them. My guess is that they'll appear at some point during the new season for Best Wishes, but I don't know if I would say that they're banned just yet.

I remember being so confused about Ash suddenly having a bunch of Tauros in the later parts of Kanto. I can understand why they would ban that episode when guns were heavily featured and used, but it did end up being kind of confusing for the kids watching the series and questioning when Ash caught so many Tauros.

14. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Not 9000! It Burns!

Rugrats "The Banister": Banned after Chuckie's head got caught in the banister. I think I saw that episode once when I was little, but Klasky-Csupo had a reason why it was banned. Can't remember. They might've received complaints from parents.

15. GolfDude

GolfDude New Member

as long as any pokemon used in team rocket vs team plasma doesnt evolve in the show before it airs, they could still fit in in during BW2.. it still possible for them to tweak it to fit in in, so its not fully banned yet.. note that team plasma has been MIA since the non airing, so its still possible for it to air.. of coruse if you saw the episode preview that aired for the episode, youd know why it was "postponed" as they put it in japan..

16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Maybe I am getting mixed up, but I thought that episode never left the drawing board because Nick thought that little kids will try to put their heads in banisters. It was never made.

17. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

There's another episode that Nick refused to air originally: "Sammy and Me". However, according to Speedy, there was nothing redeeming about the episode (I wouldn't know because I never saw it), so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. He even said it was "insulting" in the review he wrote of it and the other R&S episodes that were on the last DVD set (before he changed it for some reason, anyway; maybe review policy changes or him deciding that the episodes weren't as bad as he originally thought, I don't know).

18. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

There was a Superman Elseworlds annual DC published in the 90s with pretty much the same premise (An ancestor of Superman's flees a destroyed Kypton and lands in 18th century Earth, joins up with the British, and quells the American Revolution) and had the modern-day still somewhat stuck in a 18th-19th century rut, but it was lampshaded as being that the world was held back technologically and scientifically by Kyptonian/British rule.

19. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

For the record, this was aired twice on Kids' WB! (June 24, 2000 and August 19, 2000).

This was aired on TNN in 2003.

"Elephant Issues" was aired multiple times in syndication and on Cartoon Network. It was also aired on Fox Kids a few times before it was "banned" by Fox.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I think it's pretty unlikely that any Pokemon evolved in the Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma two-parter. It would have been too difficult to cover that up if anyone from the main cast had an evolved Pokemon, but they weren't able to explain how they suddenly evolved. Even without seeing the episode preview, it was because the events in those episodes involved images of buildings being destroyed and given the earthquake disaster that had hit Japan not too long before the episodes were going to air, it's completely understandable why those episodes were postponed. It's also possible that they knew about this season two for Best Wishes by that point and decided to try and work those two episodes in there instead of doing it earlier.

I thought that it only aired once. Though, it could be that I only remember watching it on Kids' WB once.

I do know that Cartoon Network banned a couple of Pokemon episodes from airing on their channel. I believe that they were the Holiday Hi-Jynx and The Tower of Terror. They didn't air either one of them due to the racial issues with Jynx's design and the title for the other episode really wouldn't work for post-9/11. I don't think that the Kids' WB aired the episode Tentacool and Tentacruel more than once or twice due to the use of guns and tanks. It wasn't at the level of that Dratini episode, but they were used probably a bit too much for their tastes. Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure that Cartoon Network aired it when they started airing reruns of the first season.