1. Enter for a chance to win "Digimon Adventure tri.: Reunion" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  3. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Cartoons That Would Be Hated If They Came Out Today

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by CNFan996, Mar 20, 2017.

1. CNFan996

CNFan996 Banned

What cartoon that was popular back in the day would be hated if they came out today?

Ren and Stimpy and Cow and Chicken come to mind especially after shows like Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners being hated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler The Ruler of the Watchdogs

I think CatDog would be hated more if it came out today. The writing was poor, the characters were all unlikable and the humor ranges from unfunny to just plain cruel. Catchy theme song aside, this is one of the Nicktoons that hasn't aged well IMO (I can't even believe I grew up liking it too. What the heck was I thinking?).

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Rolling Bubbles!

I know CatDog and Rocket Power were hated by older fans when they actually were new, so I have a feeling they would still be hated if they came out today.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. CNFan996

CNFan996 Banned

CatDog was hated back then, but nowadays people raise it calling it a classic, when in reality it's really not.

Rocket Power would newver work in this day and age, it was clearly a 90s/early 00s show as it focused a lot on extreme sports

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler The Ruler of the Watchdogs

Also, if we're counting adult cartoons, then Drawn Together would be one. It had a really good concept, but instead came off as a typical adult cartoon, with a high value of shock humor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Many of the shows made in the 70's that dealt with teenagers solving mysteries everywhere they travel.

Also, Heathcliff, The Critic, Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983 series), The New Woody Woodpecker Show, U.S Acres (Garfield And Friends) and My Pet Monster.

Animated cartoons based off of popular video games can also count, mostly the ones made by DIC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #6 ZanyLogic5, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
  7. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Johnny Bravo definitely comes to mind. The title character's personality simply wouldn't fly with American audiences today. Similarly, Catdog was probably fine for the somewhat lighter mindset of the 90s, but today you have a lot of people looking very deeply into shows that were never intended to be seen that way, something a show like that would suffer greatly with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The Little Mermaid Series. What a terribly bland and boring cartoon.

Why are the villains doing this, exactly? Oh, right, cause they're evil, not because they actually gain something from doing so. They're just supposed to do bad things. And other characters are supposed to whine about it.

Disney used to be so good at milking things :sweat: They just KEEP making new sequels and TV series until one of them is awful and doesn't even remotely feel like the first movie. Only then they stop.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be interesting if Ren & Stimpy came out today. What it brought to the table was so bold and innovative (the art is bad, ON PURPOSE!!) at the time. Culturally, we were coming off a repressive decade of sanitized cutesy-toons and John K was a blast of fresh air. People would be less forgiving of the show's flaws now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Air Commander

G.I. Joe would never gotten off the ground today.

I sometimes wonder if Gargoyles, Avatar, or any other serious action property not based on a recognizable IP could succeed in today's market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PiotrGT

PiotrGT Member

Don't get me wrong but Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers propably wouldn't be recevied as good today, mainly due to it's predictable writing (you know, it was basically good vs evil all the time and you knew how it will end unless you were a kid, there were barely any plot twists, some episodes were better though). I still like this cartoon, and it's not even because of nostalgia as I didn't watch it as a kid. I have discovered it just few years ago. I like the main characters and overall ( I don't know how to say it) charm (?) of it. I would show it to my kids because it teaches good lessons too, a lot better than those preschool shows. It wouldn't really be hated but I don't think it would be a success. If they properly rebooted it then it would be pretty good though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I know that feeling. Cannot believe I tolerated such an ugly and pathetic excuse of a show as a kid, Ren & Stimpy. Same with CatDog. Hell, for me, Sanjay & Craig has better material than both when it isn't being grossout humor central (unpopular opinion, I know. Who cares?!).

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is one I'm not sure of. Something that I've been thinking about for a while is that Batman: The Animated Series' influence is slowly starting to become irrelevant with this generation, as the action cartoon is changing to the point of unrecognizability.

I kind of doubt that these or other shows of their kind would be as successful today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

With the internet making people more aware of a cartoon's source material, I wonder how the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would have been seen if juxtaposed against the comics.

15. 90'sKid

90'sKid Active Member

As others have mentioned, grossout cartoons like Ren and Stimpy and Cow and Chicken probably wouldn't fly with today's audiences, the animation landscape has changed, while grossout is (Unfortunatly) far from dead, it's not nearly as big as it was in the early 90's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

The first things that popped in my head was Catdog. I love the show for childhood nostalgia, but I know I would hate it if I only saw it as an adult. I agree with most of the answers people are giving.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I still personally tend to enjoy Ren and Stimpy, but yeah much of its charm really has to do with just how incredibly different it was compared to all other animated series of that time. That, and before the 90s it was very rare that TV animation was ever as loose and unrestricted as R&S was.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Well-Known Member

How about the OP's avatar?

I don't think SpongeBob would succeed if it was created in this decade!

Why?

Because it was a unique concept & networks don't want that nowadays plus it's a product of it's time

(this is probably why most people prefer the 90's & early 2000's episodes to the new ones)

The show was created back when networks were more willing to take risks so there is absolutely NO way it would have gotten off the ground today!

19. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Cow and Chicken doesn't have any gross out humor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. 90'sKid

90'sKid Active Member

I'd count the characters eating butts as grossout of a kind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk