Cartoons that involve shrinking/growing

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by veemonjosh, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Inspired by Hellcat, what cartoons have had an episode/had the series centered around shrinking and/or growing?

I can think of a few:

Fairly OddParents (one of the first episodes)
    Jimmy Neutron (the Germ episode)
    Spongebob Squarepants ("Mermaidman and Barnicleboy 4")
    George Shrinks (the entire SERIES is about his life after he shrunk)
    Classic TMNT (It was mentioned in that TMNT thread.)
    Xiaolin Showdown ("Sizing Up Omi" had BOTH shrinking and growing)
    Magic Schoolbus (Ralphie's body episode and the episode where they went inside the nerdy guy.)

Can you think of some more?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  2. straw_hat

straw_hat New Member

Not even Godzilla is safe from those stupid shrinking plots.

3. HellCat

HellCat Administrator Staff Member

NOOOOOOOO!! I'll be damned if I'm paying child support.

Oh well, since I'm unintentionally responsible I might as well weigh in.

Not really shrinking or growing but SD Gundam Force has an ep where a robot statue of Neotopia's female mayor goes on a rampage.
    Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog did an ep where Tails gets turned into a giant and goes on an eating rampage.

4. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

Powerpuff Girls: The (really lame) episode "Nano of the North" had the girls shrunk to tiny size to fight tiny robots.

THere's various shrinking superheroes, including the Atom.

5. Umino

Umino Honey Flash?

There was an episode of Devilman that delt with shrinking. Demon Miniyon went around shrinking the people of Tokyo. (Including Akira, and Miyo-chan)

6. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

I forgot to add this. There was an episode of Astro Boy (2003) where Astro had to shrink down to save Uran/Zoran (but it was a trap).

And there's BOUND to be a Dr. Slump episode that had shrinking or growing involved.

Edit: Rugrats also had an episode where they pretended that they shrank and went inside Chuckie.

Edit 2: In Invader Zim, Zim once went inside Dib.

7. Slane

Slane New Member

At the risk of beating Delia to the post: Men in Black had an episode where J was shrunk...then they grew him back to normal size.

I think this was one of the few TV series to actually not have the clothes change shape with the character...:evil:. Inspector Gadget also avoided this suspension of disbelief.

8. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

2 episodes of Totally Spies, one who get Clover shrinked and a 2nd one we saw Mandy turned into a 50ft giant.

9. creativerealms

creativerealms New Member

Simpsons had a Holloween short where the Simpsons Shrunk to go inside Mr. Burns. Also in another episode a race Liza created Shrunk Liza to their size.

Futurama when Fry eat the worm egg sandwitch that made him smart. Though they really did not shrink just controled miniture versions of themselves.

Invader ZiM episode Nano Zim.

10. PhotonPhoenix

PhotonPhoenix You Vill Help Us Find It.

Danny Phantom: Micro management

11. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

There was a Johnny Test ep which took the idea in a new direction and had johnny shrink down so far that he ended up in an alternate universe.

12. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

Tiny Toon Adventures: "Starting From Scratch". Buster, Babs, and Plucky all shrunk themselves....

Buster: Cartoon cliche number one: "shrink your heroes". Of course!

Babs: That's so crazy, it just might work!

Buster: That's cartoon cliche number two.

Yeah, I just had to steal that line again..... :p

13. Wussycat

Wussycat New Member

There's an episode of Archie's Weird Mysteries in which Veronica becomes a giant.

14. oofadoofa

oofadoofa New Member

The Magic Schoolbus gang ALWAYS shrank or grew. And just to add some more growing instances to the list. In Jackie Chan Adventures. Both Jade and Toru grew into giants, each in a different episode. And in the episode "Shrink Wrap" both Jackie and Hack Foo shrunk to the size of ants.

15. The Weed Of Cri

The Weed Of Cri Smarter than you

Here's a blast from the past: back in the '60's, there was a series of cartoon shorts called "Tom of T.H.U.M.B.", a James Bond parody about a secret agent and his politically-incorrect ethnic stereotype sidekick, who got shrunk to height of two inches by an experimental weapon. They then went to work for the Tiny Human Underground Military Bureau (THUMB). I think it was the companion feature to Rankin-Bass' King Kong cartoon, but my memory isn't too clear on that point.

16. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

There was a 1963 "Krazy Kat" cartoon where Ignatz became a giant by "thinking big". Krazy got him to shrink (to a size of flea) by getting him to smoke cigars (because they "stunts your growth"). But that turned out to be a dream, so I don't know if it will count.

17. Uncle_Lina

Uncle_Lina Rubba chicken

Dexter shrunk to the size of an action figure to see what DeeDee was saying about him, but he ended up going crazy and thinking DeeDee's doll was his wife.

In the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror 15, the whole family shrunk down and went inside Mr. Burns.

In the I Am Weasel episode named "The Incredible Shrinking Weasel", when Weasel and Baboon had to get injected into the Red Guy to fix his "broken butt".

In the Ren and Stimpy episode "Blazing Entrails", Stimpy was blown up like a balloon so Ren could fix his brain, as he was acting Stupider than usual.

Another Futurama episode entitled "Anothology of Interest", Zoidberg was grown to Godzilla height to fight the giant Bender.

18. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Correct. Tom of T.H.U.M.B. was the backup to King Kong.

Here's a few more:

Fantastic Voyage: Filmation produced this animated sci-fi/spy series which shares the title with a Raquel Welch movie. Fox owns the rights to the series, so I think CMDF might've been introduced in the movie.

Superstretch & Microwoman: Part of Tarzan & the Super 7 (Filmation again), this featured a husband & wife team of African-American superheroes. I think 'Stretch might've been the inspiration for Rubberband Man on Static Shock a few years later.

Super Friends: In the original series, the team was shrunken down by a demented Dr. Gulliver (Casey Kasem doing a killer Peter Lorre impersonation), leaving Wendy & Marvin to recruit Green Arrow to help. In one of the later series, I believe they paid homage to Fantastic Voyage by shrinking down Wonder Woman and Superman (the Supermobile was also shrunk for this story in order to save I believe Batman. Don't remember the exact ep, and may have the details wrong.

19. Kaoru

Kaoru She is a girl

And there is an episode when the girls get younger (because someone is turing he world back to the 80's :anime: ), if you count that.

Not to forget the giant Irma from TMNT, which we're reminiscing to in another thread.

20. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

Did he actually shrink? I thought the idea was that he was just extremely small. Although it would make sense as far as a pun goes, since the title could be interpreted two ways: "George shrinks" (the actual act of shrinking) and "George Shrinks" (which is his name).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.