Cartoons produced in NYC?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Cartoons90, May 1, 2012.

1. Cartoons90

Cartoons90 Member

I have always heard of most of the major productions studios being located in Los Angeles, but have a good amount also been produced in NYC? Because so much goes on there you'd have to think so. Which famous/historic studios/cartoons have been produced in New York City over the years?

2. Reserved Nutcase

Reserved Nutcase Too Nutty For the Nuthouse

Paramount's Famous Studios is one that had their stay in New York starting 1944ish. This is the studio that continued the Popeye cartoons, Noveltoons, Herman and Katnip (before this duo split into their own series in the 50s) and Casper the Friendly Ghost.

3. bluenowait

bluenowait Hootenanny

I know that during its original run, Beavis and Butt-Head was primarily produced in MTV's New York offices. The only major New York-based animation studio operating today, that I know of, is Augenblick Studios (Superjail!, Ugly Americans). I should also note that Blue Sky Studios (Ice Age, Rio) is based in Greenwich, CT, which is fairly close to New York.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  4. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

Superjail! is now produced by Titmouse's NYC facility.

Robotomy was made in NYC as well.

Going back several decades, Terrytoons was located in New Rochelle, NY.

Total TeleVision, which made Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, and others, was an NYC outfit, although animation production occurred in Mexico.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Don't forget Titmouse is doing Motorcity in New York as well.

I think a lot of the preschool shows are done in New York. I know WonderPets were.

6. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I remember reading in Hoawrd Stern's book Private Parts that his dad worked at the recording studio that did the voices for the characters in those shows, so as a kid he got to see Don Adams and Wally Cox record.

7. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

Yeah, Ben Stern. There's a bit about him in "Created and Produced by Total TeleVision", as remembered by voice actor Bradley Bolke (Chumley) and producer Tread Covington.