Cartoon Research just posted the complete article

Discussion in 'The Termite Terrace Trading Post' started by Argus Sventon, May 4, 2001.

1. Argus Sventon

Argus Sventon Monster Bird

Or at least more than I though.

http://www.cartoonresearch.com/toonheads.html

I don't think anyone on this board had anything to do with what happened. Now, there's still quite some time left, for a little prodding and some campaigning.

I would like to know how this story made the front page of the WSJ. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2001
  2. grundle

grundle New Member

What exactly are the 12 cartoons?

What exactly are the 12 cartoons that they won't play?

Also, I guess this means that the cartoons that do get played will be censored. So things like Southern Fried Rabbit and Hare Ribbin' will probably air in their censored versions, just like they always do.

Thanks in advance to whoever lists the 12 cartoons!

3. barnyarddawg

barnyarddawg Whatever it is, I'm against it

I'm so disgusted after reading that :mad: !!!!!! How can they justify holding back any piece of film, the greatest art form of the 20th century, from the public! It's like putting a fig leaf on Michelangelo's David! It's time to take action! We need a plan. I don't think bombarding WB with e-mail would work, because those will just go in the trash folder. But we need to think of a protest, that is within our means, and can get our point across. Who's with me?!!!

4. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

I'll be with you. But how do we go about doing that? Most people aren't going to know about what CN is doing, and some most likely won't care.

Jack:(

5. barnyarddawg

barnyarddawg Whatever it is, I'm against it

Re: What exactly are the 12 cartoons?

All this and Rabbit Stew, Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt, Any Bonds Today, Fresh Hare, Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips, Herr Meets Hare, A Feather in His Hare, Mississippi Hare, Which is Witch, Frigid Hare, Bushy Hare, Southern Fried Rabbit. Correct me if I'm wrong

6. lislebartman

lislebartman "Cement? Fill the holes?"

Censored JUNE BUGS

Just finished reading the article on the JUNE BUGS event. WHAT A COPOUT!! All of this political correctness is driving me crazy!! Are people just so touch and easily offended these days that they cannot watch these cartoons in their historical context?

Warners should be ashamed of themselves for ignoring this part of their animation legacy. Look at Disney - they don't even acknowledge "Song of the South" as even existing, although it won an Academy Award for best song that year! WHEN WILL THIS MADNESS END?!?

7. laugh4me

laugh4me Animated individual

Re: Re: What exactly are the 12 cartoons?

FWIW, Fresh Hare, Frigid Hare and Southern Fried Rabbit have all been shown (with scenes cut) in past June Bugs'.
    "Mississippi Hare" was shown a couple of weeks ago on the LT Theater.

8. ChrisWinston

ChrisWinston I will walk alone...

>>I would like to know how this story made the front page of the WSJ

I think if you read the Wall Street Journal each and every day you'd be surprised by the number of occasional articles that have little or nothing to do with Wall Street. My dad used to give me articles he thought i'd like that he clipped from the Journal and i'd always be surprised where they came from.

----It's time to take action! We need a plan. I don't think bombarding WB with e-mail would work, because those will just go in the trash folder. But we need to think of a protest, that is within our means, and can get our point across.----

Emailing rarely does anything as far as getting a point across to someone in a matter like this. What works better is the good old fashioned method of mailing a letter with a real stamp. Hey - have any Looney Tunes stamps? Use those! You can still get 'em from the USPS, even Bugs Bunny, in mass quantities at regular cost (not a plug, i'm just letting you know in case you think they're only collector's items these days.)

My point is the best thing to do is write a heartfelt letter and mail it. The organization i work with doesn't discourage emailing but it encourages more actually sending a letter to who you want to read it 'cause it's more likely they'll read it that way.

I don't think they'll change their minds to show the 12 cartoons which does suck. I think people concerned just have to say Oh well, that's the way it is, they have the right to do that.

DVD recorders are now being sold (2500+ bucks but that price will slowly come down just as it did with players) and DVD is going to be taking over VHS within years. Methinks what really needs to be done is to convince WB to release all the cartoons, all Looney Tunes including the contoversial Bugs Bunny, on DVD. Would cost big bucks to get 'em all but it would be well worth the purchase but that, my cartoon loving friends, is a whole 'nother topic altogether.

Have a nice day :)

9. laugh4me

laugh4me Animated individual

So, considering the reasons given to nix these cartoons, should we get worried about the upcoming Toonheads special? :confused:

10. ChrisWinston

P.S.

Oh, yeah, P.S.... just to see what connection there might be, think of any ways Bugs Bunny can be tied in to Wall Street... War Bonds, merchandising... that's all i can think for now.

11. billyjoelfan

billyjoelfan A BILLY JOEL FAN!

Re: Re: Cartoon Research just posted the complete article

it's just BS i mean thay show all in the family uncut (my fav show)

and you see archie in black face and here him saying a hole bunch of things but nobody pulls that off the air

also the jeffersons we here the main caritor say honkey

the pepole at cartoon network are jerks in my option

just show it late night with a disclamer

hell i was looking foward to seeing some long lost cartoons

thanks alot cartoon network!

billy joel please come back to atlanta fan

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2001
  12. snowpeck

snowpeck New Member

Don't worry about the Toonheads special. At the bottom of the page it says they are planning a special featuring wartime cartoons. So that is definite.

gcb

13. Joe Tully

Joe Tully I want the toilet seat.

If the Journal prints any letters in response to the article during the next few days, would someone give us either a copy or synopsis? I don't have easy access to the paper, but would really like to know what the public thinks about the censoring. It would be really nice if non-cartoon fans also let CN know that this is a stupid move. If anyone has any idea what we can do to try to change CN's mind, let me know, but like someone else said, I think that this is the way that June Bugs will be. There is still hope that they might include those 12 cartoons in next year's, though, if lots of people complain.

They'd get such high ratings for those 12, even though they would be at 3 AM, you'd think they'd run the risk of showing them just once.

14. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

LISTEN CN,DO YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD UP TED TURNER'S POLITICALLY CORRECT @$$?I THOUGHT SO.AIR THESE CARTOONS!I DON'T GIVE A F^%& IF THAT @$$ JESSE JACKSON COMES AND PROTEST ABOUT THESE CARTOONS.REMEMBER YOU DO HAVE "ALL THE LOONEY TUNES"!SO F^&*%^ PLAY THEM.I DON'T GIVE A $%^& IF YOU PLAY THE AT 4 F&^%$& 'O' CLOCK!JUST AIR THE GOD DAMN THINGS!
    - Peter "Pissed off" Melnick

Sorry if I offended anybody....I'M JUST PISSED!

15. PorkyandDaffy

PorkyandDaffy The zaniest half-pig half-duck

This is very disappointing news. I've been looking forward to this year's June Bugs for a long time, only to find out almost at the last minute that they're NOT going to air the un-PC Bugs cartoons. I don't see why they couldn't have just aired the un-PC Bugs cartoons late at night. WHO would be up that late other than us cartoon buffs?

Paranoia. That's what it is. Paranoia. They're so afraid people will complain when it's less likely to happen if they would show those cartoons late at night, and to be double safe, run a disclaimer (I don't like that "scroll the message on the bottom of the screen" thing, it distracts attention from the cartoon) before the cartoon stars.

Let's just hope the Wartime Cartoons special won't get pulled by the tightwads at WB, too.

I was afraid this would happen. I couldn't even imagine a Censored 11 showing up on CN, anyway.

-PorkyandDaffy "Very disappointed"

16. ChrisWinston

----There is still hope that they might include those 12 cartoons in next year's, though, if lots of people complain.----

While it would be cool if those 12 cartoons appear in June Bugs '02, what would be even even even better better better would be if in the next 13 months WB releases the ENTIRE Bugs Bunny collection on DVD. Maybe a whole box set, around 100-150 bucks. I think attention needs to be focused towards letting WB know that this is what the fans want. Start with Bugs then go on to Daffy and the entire Looney Tunes catalog from start to finish. I'm sick of waiting for Twin Peaks on DVD, wondering when many old movies will be released, quite possibly what i would like the most on DVD is Bugs and Looney Tunes! More needs to be done to get the wheels spinning on this and right here with everyone who posts here is a great place to start!

Bricka bracka firecracka, sis boom ba, Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny DVD!

17. J Lee

J Lee New Member

The Wall Street Journal's Friday edition tends to be more "user freidnly" -- i.e. non Wall-Street related articles -- than the Monday-Thursday editions.

Aside from the Page 1 center column story on Bugs, they also had one on the new Billy Crystal movie about Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle, and a feature on repo men in Silicon Valley (financially-related to the dot-com failures, but not really about business as much as about how to take back people's vehicles in a high-tech area using high-tech equipment)

18. happyheathen

happyheathen Guest

economic reality

just for reference - the laserdisc box sets (approx. 70 toons each)
    sold for around $100 each.

how many bugs 'toons are there? what has the cost of living done since the days of laserdiscs?

than again, how many people would pay $100.00 - $150.00 for a bunch of CARTOONS?

remember, most people think these are for kids (the ld's didn't sell well, either)

maybe time to find a dvd player that can do japanese...

19. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Obviously the LD's sold well enough for MGM/UA to produce five volumes of GAOLT over the course of a few years in addition to 5 MGM cartoon sets. I don't have any sales figures handy, but I'm sure if the stuff didn't sell they wouldn't have continued releasing them.

-Jon