1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cartoon of the Week - "Red Hot Riding Hood"

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Jave, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This week's discussion will go to a Tex Avery masterpiece he did at MGM.

What seems to be another generic storytelling of "Little Red Riding Hood", is quickly changed to an extremely hip, hot version of it. The wolf is now a slick gentleman that goes to a nightclub to watch Red Hot Riding Hood's dance number. After the Wolf tries to woo Red but fails and she escapes, the Wolf ends up at Grandma's house, who turns out to be an old woman that wants the Wolf for herself. The Wolf escapes Grandma's apartment the hard way, and after that, bows to kill himself if he ever looks at another babe. That instant, Red shows up again and the Wolf shoots himself, only for his soul to appear to woo Red!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This cartoon is billed as one of the best cartoons ever made and it's not hard to figure out why. As a Tex Avery MGM cartoon the animation is brilliant and works perfectly for such a fast-paced short. The gags are all dead-on, the opening scene with all the characters scolding the narrator is hilarious, so is pretty much all of the scenes that take place at Grandma's house. A highly recommended cartoon, as it fits for any kind of audience.

2. Merilee

Merilee Member

I don't think so!!

THIS cartoon I do NOT like and I wouldn't want MY kids to watch it. To begin with this seems like all the women are used for here is as sexual objects. ( I know I sound like a feminist, but I fell it;s true) They took a perfectly nice fairy tale with a good lesson and they sexualized it with absolutely no point. Note the wolf rejects grandma simply because she' not attractive. I mean, what would have happened if she turned out to be as sexy as her grandaughter?

I have seen this episode and found it so messed up. This isn't a "modern retelling', it;s disgraceful and it was probably the forst cartoons generally aimed at purely adults, cause that's what it really looks like.
    I know you're all gonna hate me for this, but I have to rate this a 3. Nice animation, I'll give them that, but that's all it has going for it.

3. Natey

Natey blank

i didnt really think it was that bad

but i liked it! very good

4. ThePeterNetwork

ThePeterNetwork Smurf Life!

I'm not too crazy about this cartoon either, but not for all the reasons Merilee stated. I find the cartoon rather, how shall I put this, "dated"? The '40s swing number that Red performs wouldn't fly in this contemporary time. I know I can't stand it. Whenever I hear Red sing, I put the TV on mute and play a Bliss Blood CD.

5. ToOn~g@l

ToOn~g@l Just singin' the blues

oh I love this one, Tex Avery at his finest. Some of the best gags out there including the wolf going crazy for red and hitting himself a few times and the beginning when it starts out all cute and suddenly turns into hollywood kind of movie. Man they really need to come out with a Tex Avery box set.

6. candy17

candy17 Black, White, and Amorous

Seeing Red

Sexism aside, I love this cartoon and agree with the person who said it sucked that it was made for adults and not children...because cartoons back in the 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's were NOT for children.

Quick Note: Believe it or not, this was the cartoon that was almost banned because the Hayes Office thought some of the Wolf's reactions to Red were sexually suggestive and balked at the original ending where
    instead of the one shown where
    . There was a version of this cartoon sent to troops fighting overseas during WWII that had racier scenes.

Also: The picture of Red dressed in white was actually from Swing Shift Cinderella, not Red Hot Riding Hood.