1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Cartoon of the Week" #3: Eek! the Cat

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by wonderfly, Feb 17, 2015.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Cartoon of the Week #3:

"Eek! the Cat"

[video=youtube;2-e5R9bJZwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-e5R9bJZwk[/video]​

Originally Broadcast: 1992-1997.

A big part of the Fox Kids line-up in the 90's.

Thoughts?

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One of my fav shows from Fox Kids that still holds up. I even enjoyed The Terrible Thunder Lizards and amputee segments!

3. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

The only other segment is Klutter.

4. wonderfly

Yeah, but back in 1992, when it was JUST "Eek the Cat", that's when it was special, for me. When it became "Eekstravaganza" (or whatever it was called) that's when it lost some of it's luster. But then again, I think all of Fox Kids was losing it's luster by that time (1995-1996).

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Created by "Savage" Steve Holland (the designer of the Whammy from the CBS game show Press Your Luck), Eek! the Cat always came off to me as sort of a Looney Tunes Lite. I can't say that the writing was on par with Looney Tunes, or even Tiny Toon Adventures, but Eek! was still good for some laughs. Heck any cartoon that can boast a guest appearance by Soul Train's Don Cornelius playing an animated version of himself is OK in my book.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Fun Trivia Fact: The show was originally supposed to be Eek!Stravaganza featuring The Terrible Thunderlizards from the get-go, but TTL's debut had to be delayed due to budget constraints.

Anyways, I thought Eek! the Cat was OK. They seemed to be trying to bring back the Looney Tunes style of zany humor, which is always cool by me. Its' universe was a tad confusing, though, what with Eek! himself being a conventional pet who never spoke around his masters yet there were plenty of anthropomorphic animals walking around, such as Incredible Elmo the Elk and Jacques LeDuck (voiced by Dan Castelanetta); heck, even Eek!'s rotund girlfriend Annabelle (voiced by Tawny Kitaen) eventually became independent of humans (in later shorts it was stated that Sharkey the Sharkdog was Annabelle's dog!) while Eek! himself remained a pet, adding a curious tone to the their relationship. Still, the rapid-fire gags and pop-culture references (such as the Squishy Bearz, spoofs of the Care Bears and their ilk) and celebrity cameos (most notably Heather Locklear and Dee Snider) were fun. The show boasted an impressive array of vocal talent, sort of a who's-who's of 80's and 90's cartoons and television, including Brad Garrett, Cam Clarke, Charlie Adler, Curtis Armstrong and Eddie Deezen. Gary Owens did some narration for some episodes too. I'm down with any cartoon that gives us a full-on parody of The Who's Quadrophenia.

7. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Huh? That's not true. What really happened was that the creators wanted Thunderlizards to be its own 30 minute show. The network didn't go for it.

8. Silverstar

Yet Thunderlizards did air as its' own show for a brief period on Fox Kids.

9. wonderfly

My memory says the timeline went like this: 1992: It was just Eek the Cat. 1993 or 1994: Terrible Thunderlizards was added as it's own show, airing right after Eek the Cat aired (so it became kind of an hour long block). 1995 or 1996: It all became "Eek!Stravaganza"...but my memory may be wrong.

10. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Three weeks. Not the same thing as a separate episode order as a spin-off.

Here's the basic version. It was always 30 minutes.

09/11/92-11/13/93; 01/08/94-01/29/94- Eek! the Cat
    11/20/93-01/01/94; 02/05/94-09/03/94- Eek! & the Terrible Thunderlizards (Season 1 repeats still aired with the original opening until fall 1995.)
    01/08/94-01/22/94- The Terrible Thunderlizards (It had a separate time slot for three Saturdays only. It did not air directly after Eek.)
    09/10/94 onward- Eek!Stravaganza (Promos with this name first appeared in July 94, though.)

11. Silverstar

I never said it was a separate episode order as a spin-off, just pointing out that it happened, albeit only for less than a month. But yeah, my memory's a tad hazy on the details, but I'm guessing it was just a limited run to fill air space left by another show that had recently been canned, or to fill out the wait time for another replacement show that was about to premiere.

-Oh, I forgot to mention that Eek! also featured the vocal talents of Jason Priestly (still riding that Beverly Hills 90210 heat), E.G. Daily and Eleanor Donahue (the latter was also appearing on FOX's sitcom Get A Life starring Chris Elliott around the same time.

The title character was voiced by Bill Kopp, who also voiced Day Z. Cutter on Thunderlizards. Kopp would later go on to create another Fox Kids show, Mad Jack the Pirate.

#11 Silverstar, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. That's what I thought I wrote.
    My bad!

13. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Actually, Savage and Bill created The Terrible Thunderlizards to run after Eek! and then spin it off as its own series.

Droopy, Master Detective (spin-off of Tom and Jerry Kids) was the show that was canned/replaced by Thunderlizards I believe.

14. doglover44

doglover44 New Member

I enjoy the show very much Did Eeek ever get a DVD release ?

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Nope. It didn't even get much on VHS- just one tape with two episodes. Very strange.

Anyone know which company currently has the home video rights to Eek?

16. doglover44

doglover44 New Member

Eeek deserves better

17. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Disney

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Well we can kiss a DVD release goodbye then. They can't even fully release their own stuff.

19. Kirben

Kirben Member

There were 12 DVD releases in the Czech Republic, which included the English version. Unfortunately they all all out of print now.

20. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think I may have seen this show when I was really little, but I was too young to pay attention to what I was watching. In any case it was nothing I watched on a regular basis.