Cartoon Network's new programming announcement (2014-2015)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by adyniz, Mar 10, 2014.

1. adyniz

adyniz Surgeon of Death

* Over The Garden Wall
    * Clarence
    * We Bare Bears
    * The Tom and Jerry Show
    * Be Cool Scooby-Doo!
    * Wabbit - A Looney Tunes Production
    * LEGO® NINJAGO: Masters of Spinjitzu
    * Sonic Boom
    * Total Drama: Pahkitew Island
    * Numb Chucks
    * Beyraiderz

Full press release:

2. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

I'm sorry, but we need descriptions of each one.

3. adyniz

adyniz Surgeon of Death

Click on the spoiler tag for the details. Since the press release was very lengthy, I had to use the spoiler tag for it.

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Wow. Outside of Ninjago and returning toyetic anime, there's no new action cartoons. That's going to upset a lot of people.

I can only hope that Be Cool, Scooby Doo! is just as good as the previous series, and Wabbit stays truer and funnier to the Looney Tunes than The Looney Tunes Show was.
    Good to see Detentionaire coming to the States. Those that enjoyed 6teen and Stoked will likely enjoy it.

5. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

Was I Heart Tuesdays scrapped? Haven't heard anything about that show for a while.

I'm looking forward to the new Scooby show. The line where it says high school is over makes me think sequel, but more than likely it isn't.

And I wonder if we'll see any other familiar characters on Bugs' new show?

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I know Wabbit is going to make a lot of people happy; WB seems to be going back to the basics Looney Tunes-wise, and good thing too, I say.

Down side: very little action cartoons (I myself prefer comedies, but I know a lot of folks have been Jonesin' for some action toons), no new DC Comics projects and no new shows based on Hanna-Barbera properties aside from Scooby and Tom & Jerry, and those guys get new shows every couple of years. Still, all things considered, not a bad rollout, CN. Could be much, much worse.

We haven't gotten any new info on that show in literally years. I wrote that show off a looong time ago.

7. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I don't like this. Not... one... bit.

8. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Tough as talons! Ca-caw!

Not a bad assortment of upcoming shows. No sign of live-action content anywhere. That'll be sure to please people.

I'm not all that upset about the lack of action cartoons. Video games can give me my action fix while I wait.

I'm also glad Grojband is returning. That show was pretty good. I heard that legal issues was the cause of the hiatus.

The miniseries Over the Garden Wall quite interests me because I haven't seen a miniseries on Cartoon Network in a long time. I wouldn't mind more miniseries down the road.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Just to ask, what specifically don't you like about it? Yeah, the lineup could be a little more diverse, but given that boys' shows and comedies are all CN cares about right now, this lineup is as much as we can expect from Toon.

10. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

I'm just glad Toonami is around to fill the action cartoon void for me, but it sucks that kids can't have any decent action cartoons to watch on CN. :\

I am very curious to see what We Bare Bears will end up looking like. Also, is the "Always On" programming going to only be on digital devices? That's what it sounds like.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I'm pleasantly surprised to read about Wabbit! I figured that there would be a new Looney Tunes series somewhere down the line, but I didn't expect an announcement of a new LT series so soon after The Looney Tunes Show ended. Here's hoping that this new series will actually be loony and have cartoon physics and slapstick and also that we'll see Daffy on the show.

I'm somewhat disappointed that there are no new DC animated shows announced. Not surprised, but disappointed. I guess that the DC Nation block is just going to continue being all Teen titans GO! Disappointing.

Only 1 new action themed show announced? Wow. Cartoon Network is really serious about pushing the comedy series.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

It's more likely DC Nation is gone.

Keep in mind this is the last gasp of Stuart Snyder. The new guy might be more open to action.

13. McRowdy

McRowdy New Member

Over the Garden Wall and Sonic Boom are the only things that really catch my eye from this. Maybe Be Cool Scooby Doo since I liked the last series with it but the description sounds kind of generic.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Toonzone News has posted Cartoon Network's 2014-2015 programming slate with images for some of the upcoming cartoons: Over The Garden Wall, Clarence, We Bare Bears, The Tom and Jerry Show, Be Cool Scooby-Doo! and Wabbit.

Some reactions to what stands out to me the most so far.....

1. DC Nation Is Officially Stagnant - For Now

So Teen Titans Go gets listed as a "returning series", Beware the Batman does not. Also no new action series is listed here, which means that it sure looks like the status quo is going to continue to dominate on the DC Nation block for the near future. I don't doubt that Beware will finish its run, but between the long hiatus and this exclusion it's all too apparent how much of a priority it is. They'll run it off at their leisure and call it a day.

I'm super annoyed by this state of affairs. Even if Cartoon Network is reluctant to bank on new action animation and favor comedy instead, there have been multiple DC Nation shorts that were lighter and funny that could have been developed into full animated series to run along side TTG, most notably to my mind Super Best Friends Forever and Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. But nope! Reruns of Teen Titans. This is just wasteful.

On twitter I made this lamentation that with the situation like this, Cartoon Network may as well do away with pretense and get rid of the block. In hindsight I think this was too hasty though. The short program isn't done just yet, and DC animation fans should keep this in mind: about a year ago, word got around from "Super PR Guy" Gary Miereanu that Bruce Timm would be back "in a very big way" in the aftermath of his stepping down from working on DCU DTV movies. Since then Timm was integral in the creation of the fabulous Superman 75th short, and was confirmed to be involved in a black & white Batman short for DC Nation. Far from nothing, to be sure. But how likely is it that's really all he's working on?

2. The Legacy of Adventure Time

Just as Rebecca Sugar moved on from Adventure Time to create her own show, the endearing and funny Steven Universe, Over The Garden Wall and Clarence are from Pat McHale (also an alumnus of Flapjack) and storyboard artist Skyler Page (Secret Mountain Fort Awesome) respectively. All young folks. Over The Garden Wall, I have to say, seems awesome. That background & art design looks really good, as a miniseries it should be tightly plotted, it's got this archtypical journey through a fantasy world, and music being an important part of it is an encouraging thing considering that McHale did some songs for Adventure Time (Oh Marceline, Dream of Love and Something Special). I'm hyped and you should be too.

3. Classic Toons, Back Again

Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes, and at last Tom & Jerry Show 1+ year after it was listed in last year's upfront. I worry if Be Cool Scooby-Doo can hope to live up to the enjoyable and surprisingly well-plotted Mystery Inc, while on the other hand Wabbit really comes off as something much closer to the tradition of Looney Tunes than LT show. The promise here is more of Bugs Bunny doing what he always did best. If they do it well and this succeeds, this just might be the creative shot in the arm that this property needs. As for Tom & Jerry, this was one cartoon that never made a big mark on my childhood, so I have no real expectations for what this ought to be going in. I do hope it'll have something for everyone and more attuned to its legacy, after the very mixed results of LT Show.

15. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

Can we just take a moment to acknowledge that we got a second Looney Tunes revival show...and not too long after TLTS' cancellation? Who honestly expected that? Judging from the description, it sounds like it's going to be much more slapstick based than the former show, so that's a plus.

So to recap all of the stuff we didn't already know, we got a new CN original about bears, yet another Scooby spinoff (and judging by that promo piece a very demented looking one at that), and a handful of acquisitions (which I can honestly take or leave) that will be televised and distributed on multiple platforms. And not a trace of live action in sight.

I...am actually okay with this. I honestly don't care if CN doesn't have any original action series, I'll watch Toonami if I'm that desperate. Definitely checking out Over The Garden Wall, Clarence, Wabbit, Sonic Boom, and probably the Tom and Jerry/Scooby shows out of curiosity. Same goes for We Bare Bears.

Just remember guys...there's no live action. At all. Given CN's track record over the past 3-4 years, that is a victory in itself. Did I mention Hall of Game wasn't mentioned in the press release? Because that wasn't either.

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Very disappointing. No Batman? No new action cartoons? My gosh. I'm also annoyed at how they canned the good Scooby-Doo show, and are replacing it with a, you guessed, comedy version! I guess I'll watch Sonic Boom.

17. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    They need more action show eventually, but there seems to be hope for CN, knowing that both Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe are sticking around for awhile... I don't expect a lot of the new stuff to be as well received, despite some good sounding decisions here, but oh well - better than more live - action, right?

CN still has a lot of work to do to stand out in a positive light... And I don't see all comedy shows completely helping their case, what with the loss of essential competing prime-time hours.

18. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

To be fair Scooby Doo MI did have a ending so it got off well compared to other shows with a overarcing plot

Yeah no new action shows that was to be expected but I am looking forward to Tome of the unknown( I find that name to be cooler okay), Clarence

19. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Over the Garden Wall & Sonic Boom definitely grab my attention, so that's good. I'm a little bit worried though that there's only 4 cartoons in that list that can be considered new IPs.

DC Nation is still a shambling zombie though, what a surprise. I just hope that whoever fills in for Snyder can turn that ship around.

20. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The lack of action is disappointing, but equally surprising his how Tom and Jerry seems to be a show of no confidence between a non-US network premiering it first and the weekday afternoon deathslot it finally gets when it is announced.

Scooby Doo's new design is a bit...creepy.

I'm guessing it'll be extremely comedy-heavy compared to it's predecessor, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I am stunned Detentionaire finally found a US home. Jeff Harris has been gushing about it forever and I just figured it would be passed over like most of the good Canadian content in favor of dreck like Johnny Test or Total Drama.

I do hope they release some preview videos or something in the meantime for all the new content. I've been wanting to see more footage of Over the Garden Wall for a while now.

As Stu Snyder's final act, it isn't the biggest waves, but there's some stuff in here that has potential and the fact that there is no live-action anywhere on the slate is a feat.