Cartoon Network Pilots/Shorts that have the biggest chances of being greenlit, sooner or later

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by element, Oct 29, 2017.

1. element

element Member

Feel free tho say which pilots/shorts you think have the biggest chances of getting greenlit.

Infinity Train

Why does this have a great chance of getting greenlit? Well, first things first, it has a massive online following on the official uploads on Cartoon Network's social media, making it the most successful pilot CN has released online. CN also aired it on TV, which they don't seem to bother with lately when it comes to their new pilots.
    (2,886,427 views on Youtube, 359 k views on Facebook (over 3 million in total, not bad))

Now, there have been some hints that the series has been greenlit already, but it isn't really anything set in concrete. We know Owen Dennis stopped working on Close Enough, we know he's asked people not to send him fan ideas in case the show does happen. (both of these things happened recently) - sources in the spoiler

Infinity Train is very popular, shockingly so for a pilot, I think it would would be amazing as a full TV series and not a miniseries because it opens up a huge amount of possibilities with its format and brilliant idea and it can have an episodic format with continuous story bits thrown in there, to keep the story going + episodes that fully concentrate on the story as well. I can easily see it having 20-40 episodes(depends how long the episodes will be).

The whole mini series idea seems ridiculous to me, can't you say the same thing about stuff like Regular Show and Adventure time, that they would get boring quick and be too linear, well, they don't because they're episodic cartoons, like pretty much almost every other cartoon out there.
    Heck, if you really sit down and think about it, even a cartoon like Avatar the Last Airbender is mostly episodic.
    Infinity Train basically sets itself up to be an episodic series with the impossibly huge train cart idea, like hello, how can you not get it? The carts defy logic, making it interesting and mysterious, who knows what the next train cart will be like, one could literally be a huge tower that goes up, one could have some totally crazy creatures in it, because logic doesn't apply there.

It hasn't even been a year since the pilot was released, so I don't think people need to panic or lose hope when it comes to IT, animation is a very time consuming and lengthy process and there isn't a rule when it comes to how fast a cartoon can be greenlit. Just look at stuff like OK K.O, it took like what, 3 years to become a thing, while something like Onion and Apple didn't even take an entire year to get greenlit.

In terms of marketability, I think IT has potential, so far the 3 main positive characters we've been introduced to can all make good figurines and plushies and then you have other kinds of merch like shirts and whatever. And who knows what other characters will pop up along the way and potentially even join the squad.
    CN also seem to love to make video games for their new stuff, IT would be fantastic for video games, just think of all the interesting puzzle, adventure and mystery games it could generate.

The target audience for the show would probably be kids aged from 8+

And the pilot itself if you haven't seen it already.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Victor and Valentino

While this one doesn't have the same amount of support as IT, it still has over 500k views on Youtube, which is pretty decent and I feel like the target audience for the show is lower than the one for IT, despite both series having similar Gravity Falls inspired vibes to them. This also aired on TV.

This one has better proof that it might've been greenlit, because one of the main characters from the show was featured on a tote bag for CN for Summer 2017. While this isn't any solid proof that it's greenlit either, it's something.

With Infinity Train and this, CN clearly want the Gravity Falls audience.

www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/new-cartoon-network-pilots.5569672/page-9#post-85672502

Target audience for this show would probably be something like the 6-12 year old audience

In terms of marketability, it has a lot to offer, the whole skeleton theme would be great for merchandise of all kinds.
    In terms of video games, it has tons of possibilities, action focused ones would be more likely.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Villainous

Now things are a little bit different for this one, since it's produced by Cartoon Network Latin America, but it was produced with English voice acting initially and then dubbed into Spanish and Portuguese, so it definitely has chances of coming over to the US and other sides of the world.
    Villainous started out as a series of shorts with a maximum length of 1 minute, the episodes were aired as bumpers.
    When a compilation of all the shorts was uploaded, it instantly blew up online, even more than Infinity Train and it was only uploaded on the LA and Brazillian CN channels officially.

The view count for the official upload is massive,
    3,402,623 views(LA version) + 940,318 views (BR version), rounding up at 4,342,941 million views and keep in mind that this was specifically made for the Latin American audiences to an extent, so it's doing unbelievably well.

Unofficial views for the English versions also have millions of views in total, but those probably don't matter since they aren't official.

Villainous is already getting more shorts, starting this October, it's getting an 11 minute pilot and it has 5 comic strips as well. Some of the new shorts consist of Black Hat critiquing other CN villains, now that's a promising sign for the series.

So things are looking very good for this franchise, even if the NA side of CN ignores it completely, which would be very very questionable, it will still probably get greenlit for the Latin American audiences, in a similar fashion to Jorel's Brother.

According to Wikipedia, the target audience for this would be the 6-11 year old demographic, but it definitely seems to be very popular with the older crowd as well.

In terms of marketability, it's a gold mine, every character is perfect for merchandise.
    In terms of video games, it also has endless possibilities, to be honest.

Welcome to my Life

Now, I've seen a lot of people say that this isn't suited for CN, but why would have they even bothered to make the pilot in the first place if they didn't believe it fit their network? These pilots are very expensive to make. They clearly put a lot of extra care and polish into this one, since the art style is very unique and it's an interesting blend of techniques and styles.

Obviously, this would be for the older demographic CN has, the 12-17 crowd, which they obviously don't want to ignore since they made this pilot.

In terms of official views, it's doing progressively better, it currently has 2,229,023 on youtube, it's on a journey to catch up to Infinity Train it seems, despite it not being an exciting mystery adventure show.

This would definitely work out as a series, even if I've seen some people consider it too normal or simple or boring.
    The charm of the series is that it manages to be a calm slice of life that shows the difficulties one can face in society, these issues can be big or small. The main character is someone a lot of people can easily relate to, despite the fact that he's monster, it sort of has the same concept as We Bare Bears, 3 bears trying to fit in in society, except this show isn't a wacky comedy. It's meant to be a down to earth, relatable show that makes you feel better because it shows you that the world can be sort of unforgiving at moments, but also really cool as well.

In terms of marketability, I think the fact that the main character and his family are monsters does help a bit, they could come up with something. In terms of video games, I guess they could also come up with something in that department. Like an American Football game since it ties to Douglas's hobby.

Now, this one is actually a pilot from the 2015 batch of CN pilots, but the reason why I think it has greater chances than some of the things I listed below is well, because CN decided to upload it in 2017, 6 months ago on their official Youtube channel. And well, it just has so much more attention to detail in terms of production values in comparison to any other CN pilots, it doesn't just feel like a one time project, they could've easily gone with a regular 2d animation style, like the original short from 10 years ago.

I guess from here on, we have honorable mentions. We simply haven't had any hints that these could be greenlit or even continue to come out as shorts.

Twelve Forever

This one has 1,345,901 views on the YT channel. It's from the 2015 batch of pilots.

It does have potential as a series, it would appeal to the 8-12 year old crowd.

It is marketable, but mostly to girls from what I would think. It can also work when it comes to video games.

The thing is, It feels like CN wanted a female main character for the somewhat older demographics 12+. They wanted the female MC to have some very specific traits, in terms of age and appearance. Is it a coincidence that Back to Backspace, Twelve Forever and Infinity Train all share similar main characters, I don't think so. All 3 of the pilots I mentioned came out in close proximity to each other. Infinity Train seems to be the clear winner out of the bunch.

I've edited out quite a few typos

• Useful Useful x 1
    #1 element, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  2. element

element Member

Funny enough, I was talking about Villainous and video games, well, I had forgotten about a retweet from Alan Ituriel that says:

"Spoiler from the upcoming #villainous game."

The tweet is from October 16th, I can't link it because I'm a new member, I'll link it when I have the permissions, I also pointed this out in the Villainous topic from the forums.

I'd say it's very promising news to know it's getting a game.

3. Commander Beeper

Commander Beeper Watchdog

Pretty good, except for two things:

1. Villainous is produced by Cartoon Network Latin America, and not by CNS, and is currently airing as a series of shorts on CN's LatAm feed, but that does not rule out the possibility of CN U.S. importing the series later on.
    2. Elizabeth Ito, creator of Welcome to My Life, is no longer working at CNS and is currently independent. However, she has expressed interest in making a similar-natured show, while noting she won't have the rights to her pilot until 2020 or unless she buys the rights back.

4. element

element Member

1.But I did say Villainous is produced by CN LA. And I did say it's a series of shorts. I didn't rule it out from coming to the US, I said that even if it never came to the US, it still has strong chances of being greenlit for CN LA.

2. I guess that makes things less promising, but you never know, CN could call her back if they decide to further develop the project.

5. Commander Beeper

Also, I should add that Apple & Onion was shown on TV last year, and was officially greenlit at this year's upfronts. This is in pertinence to:

• Like Like x 2
  6. element

element Member

I did mention that Apple and Onion was greenlit here, but I didn't know they aired the pilot on TV. But they still haven't exactly been airing most of the pilots from the 2013-2015 period, or am I wrong about that?

7. Commander Beeper

They haven't been airing very many of their pilots on TV. Just Apple & Onion and Infinity Train as far as I'm concerned.

Also, CN announced on their Twitter that Victor and Valentino will be airing on TV tomorrow early morning.

8. saltoon

saltoon New Member

Things are definitely looking good for Victor and Valentino then!

9. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

Didn't that pilot air on TV a while back? I remember seeing seeing it on my TV.

10. element

element Member

I think this is the second time they've aired the VV pilot.

This is a big potential hint that it might have been greenlit after all.

#10 element, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  11. Anonymoususer2004

Anonymoususer2004 Excelsior!

I think V&V and IT have likely chances of getting greenlit sometime near 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  12. element

element Member

Seems about right, if things go really well, best case scenario at least one of these 2 will drop in in 2019.

13. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Victor and Valentino is the only pilot that's aired on TV twice. Last year, and today. I hope this means it got greenlit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. element

element Member

It definitely is a promising sign for the series, that's for sure.

15. element

element Member

New content is out for Villainous.

Official upload (please consider liking the video and maybe leaving a comment, if you want to help support Villainous)

Fansubbed version:

16. element

element Member

Has Twelve Forever been greenlit? Julia Vickerman tweeted this.

OK, so I checked /co/ and the people there also noticed this, way earlier and they did some interesting detective work.

There's these chained tweets.

And then you have this...

Shadi Petosky is one of the co-owners of PUNY animation studio. The studio recently did a show for Amazon, called Danger & Eggs and it has a fairly similar style to Twelve Forever.

Studio's website:
    http://punyentertainment.com/

The recent Amazon show they did
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_&_Eggs

So, did Netflix decide to get the rights for Twelve Forever from CN or is this a completely new show? What do you think? Another thing to note, Clark Snyder worked on Infinity Train's pilot(he did the backgrounds), so if he potentially leaves for whatever this Netflix production is, he clearly won't be working on Infinity Train if it gets greenlit.

• Informative Informative x 3
    #16 element, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  17. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I know eventually, the rights for pilots go back to the creator if the network doesn't do anything with it after a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure how long that would be exactly. Honestly, it's probably more likely that it's a completely new show. Ah well. Twelve Forever is my favorite CN pilot in recent years and I really wanted it to be greenlit, but I'll just have to accept that it might not happen at this point since it looks like Vickerman is no longer at CN. I have other stuff to look forward to, at least. I'll probably check out the show she's working on when it does come out.

EDIT: The trademark for Twelve Forever hasn't expired, so I don't think that's what she's doing for Netflix.
    https://www.trademarkia.com/twelve-forever-86293179.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    #17 PinkiePie97, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  18. element

element Member

Yeah, if this Netflix thing doesn't end up being Twelve Forever then it will probably never end up happening. It could be that it just doesn't have the Twelve Forever name any longer, but that might be a stretch, it would explain why CN still have the trademark.

#18 element, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  19. Commander Beeper

From what I just read up on, Clarke Snyder is available for freelance, and his personal blog (csnyde.tumblr.com) says he's at CNS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. element

element Member

He could just be a guest for this, I suppose, or he hasn't updated his info?