1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Cars 3" Talkback

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by SB20xx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It came out today (well, if you don't count that special screening in Kannapolis, NC). Who's seen it/planning on seeing it?

I just got back from it, and for those of you who were let down by "Cars 2": Fear not. It's WAY better.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I saw it today and it was a solid sequel. I liked the demolition derby scene. I'm just going to pretend that Cars 2 was Mater's dream. Side note: Jackson Storm has a verrrrry similar name to a student at my school. That was endlessly amusing to me.

3. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Saw it last friday night and it was excellent. And I saw it in 3D for the very first time. I have to admit, this one is better than the second Cars movie.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

I think it's damning with faint praise to say that this is probably the best of the "Cars" movies, but then again I wasn't one of the detractors who considers them the worst things the studio has put out (and yes, that includes "Cars 2"). But I do think that this movie is the "Cars" movie that's the most Pixar-ian of the three, only because it's About something more than what the story is about. The first Cars is mostly a trite morality play where Lightning McQueen learns how to not be a jerk. Cars 2 is just a big, dumb spy show (that was still better than the James Bond movie that came out more-or-less at the same time). This movie is actually talking about something deeper, and which feels like something that's probably resonating in the halls of Pixar now.

Look at those Toy Story and Bug's Life BTS featurettes and you'll see a bunch of guys who are a lot younger, skinnier, and less gray than they are now, while the latest Pixar applicants are probably telling them things like, "Toy Story was my favorite when I was growing up" (if not "Cars was my favorite movie growing up"). I can't help but think that Lightning's journey is one that a lot of the veterans at Pixar are having now, where they all want to feel like they have so much more to give and so much more to do, but if they're realistic then it's time to begin the process of passing the torch and training the next generation to do bigger and better things than they had ever dreamed of. That's a bittersweet pill to swallow, and I think it colors this entire movie.

Which is not to say that I didn't find the movie was a little too predictable at times, or that the introduction of Smokey felt like it came WAY too late, or that the nice, pat ending just felt a lot more convenient than it should have. But it's still a really good movie that my son and I enjoyed sharing on a Father's Day Sunday.

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Good analysis. There are definitely some real life parallels in this movie. That's one of many things that elevates it above Cars 2.

It's also extremely telling that Mater is barely in this movie. He has, maybe, twenty lines (an approximation). That's not to say he was the problem in Cars 2, but he was never the main character of the first movie, and I think it was wise to put the focus back on McQueen.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't say things like "Cars was my favorite movie growing up". I saw the original Toy Story in theaters, and was 18 when Cars 1 came out. I want to pretend the people making these things are at least as old as me... XD It's bad enough I'm getting the "parent jokes" instead of the "kid jokes" nowadays. :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1