1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Cars 3 is coming.

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Daikun, Oct 15, 2013.

1. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

As much as it irks me that this movie is getting a(nother) sequel before The Incredibles, the plot of this upcoming movie doesn't sound as horrible as "Mater is a secret agent for some reason". If anything it sounds like it's going back to the basics, which was what prevented the first one from being a total drag.

Not that I feel compelled to watch this the day it comes out, but even so.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

The animation tells me that they might be going for a different approach.

3. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

Looking at the plot. It's just seems okay. At least the focus won't be on Mater.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Despite all of the hate for the Cars series, the plot actually sounds pretty interesting. It sounds like it would actually focus on the racing instead of throwing in spy stuff out of nowhere in the middle of a race. Although, I actually did enjoy Cars 2 in spite of the focus Mater had. It would rank high among my favorite Pixar movies, but it was much more enjoyable than the first movie. The first movie wasn't absolutely terrible, but it was pretty predictable. Usually the weaker Pixar movies for me are too predictable and safe rather than flat out bad.

I'm still not eagerly awaiting for this movie to come out. I probably should work on seeing Pixar movies sooner than I normally due after enjoying both Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur so much, but this is one of the movies that I'd be pretty fine with just waiting until it airs on TV or rent it at the most. It does still sound potentially interesting though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Honestly maybe the new technology that Mater has to get used to could be interesting but... most of this sounds like Rocky III. You have Lightning at the top of his game but one of the older competitiors in a younger man's game and being upstaged by a new hot talent and having to retrain in order to get back to his peak. Except instead of Apollo Creed it's some hot new female car who... I guess is there to have a main female race car in this movie instead of just a love interest car but this still does not look like an especially solid movie. Also I kind of thought the reason Cars was still a film franchise was due to how much love John Lassester had for the project so weird he won't be directing this one honestly.

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I am so sick of Pixar

None of the concepts for any of their movies are truly "original" yet people pride them on originality

I think Disney should disband from them!

#46 Mikurotoro92, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You can't find something truly "original" because pretty much everything has been done by someone else now. Besides that, people praise Pixar for their animation and writing qualities of their movies more than simply originality. And why would Disney separate themselves from Pixar? Their movies are still pretty well received critically and financially for the most part. That's like saying that they should sell off Star Wars because you didn't like the new Star Wars movie. It's just ridiculous to think that they shouldn't have Pixar anymore just because of how you feel about the animation studio.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. blak89

blak89 Member

Well, the plot of this third chapter sure seems to make more sense and sounds like a trilogy going "full circle" for the big finale.
    I personally enjoyed the first Cars movie: it was cute, harmless.
    The second one was a mess, far from being the worst thing ever, but for being a Pixar film, it's quite bad.

9. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

Why would they get rid of a succesful studio?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. blak89

blak89 Member

It's not about their ideas being original or not: it's about how they tell those stories.

Basically, it's what Dreamworks became in the last few years.
    They ditched the pop-culture-reference movies and started to make some actual family films with compelling characters and stories.

How To Train Your Dragon's plot has been done hundred of times; but since they put some actual effort into it, it turned out to be a really fun/deep movie, despite the well-known "a boy and his X" plot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

They haven't ditched it completely though. Still yeah, Dreamworks has stepped up their game recently with How to Train Your Dragon, Kung fu Panda, and (up for debate) Rise of the Guardians.

• Like Like x 1
  12. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

They should have gone the Rocky III route with Cars 2. Chick Hicks would have been ideal in the Apollo role and there would have been more heft if Doc Hudson died during a race a la Mickey. They missed their window for that but it looks like they're trying to correct their mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Well, that was much darker than I thought.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

...Well I can't say I was expecting that from a Cars 3 trailer

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

What a depressing teaser.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to think about this.

17. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

[​IMG] ...Ssoooooo... Cars 3... Where do I start?! [​IMG]

Well first I'll be one to say, indeed I'm in the majority of people who aren't fans of the Pixar's Cars films. I liked the first one as a kid, and I honestly didn't hate the sequel as much as others have (though I still agree it's not a real good film) but yeah not Pixar's best work; so when I heard there was a Cars 3 coming, my response was pretty much the same as most others, "Oi!" so yeah I was kinda expecting just another Cars 2 or Planes... but BOY HOWDY, Disney and Pixar took quite a twist, just from this single teaser.

As you may notice, the cars and background we see is not quite as cartoony as the traditional Pixar style is, it's notably more real-looking, semi-realistic or stark realism if you will; and for the most part we don't really see the cars' faces, though we do get hints to what sort of character they could be based on their logos and overall color scheme.

Then there's those last 18 seconds, the scene with Lightning McQueen gaining, his wheels failing, then the money shot being McQueen spiraling uncontrollably from his crash as we hear him barely breathing; and the only hint of his face we see, is a slight profile of his eyes closed; then there's the slogan: "From this moment on... everything will change!"

So-- yeah, this definitely looks to be a much... MUCH darker film; but does that make it too dark?!

Well, for the sake of clarity, I will say no! Bare in mind, we haven't gotten a full premise for this film yet as we still got less than a year until it's release; I mean it could still be dark, but not THAT dark. Calling the shots, the film is mostly likely about a new lead character taking over from Lightning, now retired since his recent "incident" so to say; He/She will look to Lightning as a mentor when the new car decides to enter compete with these newer, faster cars.

Or alternatively, it could be about Lightning himself, learning to redeem himself after his crash and retraining to compete with newer, faster cars that he may have trouble keeping up with.

But back to the dark tone of this teaser, it seems really Dark now, but the film itself won't be AS dark as we already think it is. It might still be goofy and lighthearted for the most part, but yeah it might have more of a dramatic or compelling hook to it, likely in response to the criticisms from Cars 2. Kids films CAN be dark, and they CAN be taken seriously, but not in the way we automatically (no pun intended) think. So while I think this film may be more compelling and complex, telling a more innovative story (as is the norm of Pixar for the most part) I wouldn't say it would be on par with The Killing Joke or The Dark Knight Returns in terms of tone or stigma.

Now, bare in mind though, that just because something is darker, that still doesn't automatically make it better or generally good. (BvS anyone?) Adding a dark tone alone doesn't automatically make something good or even bad, if you want to tell a good story, there has to be a hook; you have to do something clever with the characters and the story you put them in and the obstacles they must overcome, and pick up from the morals the story expresses to the audience. For a more recent example, Kubo and the Two Strings is a good movie not because it was dark, but because it told a compelling and sophisticated story about family, death, and moving on in life, which starred complex, interesting, and likable characters, and an intricate compromise at the end I dare not spoil for those who haven't seen it yet.

So, quite possibly, Cars 3 might similar in tone to Kubo, but nowhere near as dour or grim as Flashpoint or whatever.

Although this does raise some pretty interesting theories like: What if the characters in Cars were in fact human the whole time?! What if the characters had human souls implanted into some form of car matrix? Now THAT would be mind trip!

#57 Troy Troodon, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  18. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

That was weird hope it doesn't really go for the dark and edgy route, because they tend to be hit or miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I gotta say, the graphics have improved. Those looked like genuine live-action footage at some points.
    As for the atmosphere, it does seem darker, but I don't think it's going to be TOO dark, just not be more like the first movie and explore what it's like to be past one's prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I am guessing he wakes up and discovers there is a human living inside him and the Very idea torture him to learn the meaning of life and his existence