"Captain Earth" Prerelease Discussion Thread (New Mecha Anime From BONES)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by GWOtaku, Sep 6, 2013.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Via Good Haro. This is really fresh and so not much is known yet, but going on chatter based on the below magazine scan (presumed to be from the new issue of Newtype) there's a new mecha anime in the works from Studio BONES called Captain Earth - yes, really. Purportedly leading staff include Takuya Igarashi and Yoji Enokido, who worked together as director and scriptwriter respectively on Star Driver and Ouran High School Host Club.

With any luck we'll know more in the coming hours or days. In the meantime, hey, that giant robot is pretty cool.....

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

So the immediate question is, will it be a Super Robot series, a "Real" Robot series or that fuzzy place in between the two types of series like Evangelion and Eureka Seven?

3. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

Is Captain Earth going to bring pollution down to zero?

4. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

BONES mecha original with a silly-sounding title, directed by Takuya Igarashi and written by Yoji Enokido? Sounds like another Star Driver. BONES and both announced staff members have all worked on some of my favorites, but Star Driver, while fun enough in its own way, was certainly not one of them, so I'm not getting any hopes up for this, although I'm sure I'll watch it.

5. River26

River26 Active Member

Captain Earth - New Mech Anime by Bones (Spoilers)

Those that like Gundam, FAFNER and other related mech animes may like this one as well. By the same studio that brought Fullmetal Alchemist & FMA: Brotherhood.

[​IMG]

Here's a PV of the anime, which's set to launch in April.
    [video=youtube;yPIXwYtfVGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPIXwYtfVGs[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

That thing is built like a tank. Anyone else getting Gunbuster vibes from the arms and shoulders?

[​IMG]

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Is this a potential copyright infringement case? Can Ted Turner sue over that title?

8. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

If there's any concerns, I'm sure they could change the title in America like they did with Case Closed.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

I don't think that will be a problem as though it's similiar sounding it's not the exact words. From what I heard, Conan is an officially copyrighted word to use in media (similiar to Avatar now because... sadly people can away with that sort of crap now) but neither Captain nor Earth are really copyrighted, even by AOL Time Warner and Ted Turner. Plus I think there's more forward momentum with at least more Conan material, unlike Captain Planet who at best has a movie that's been "in development talks" for years without any progress made on that, so it shouldn't be as much of a problem. Still you never can be too careful with these kind of things and I really hope they don't have to change the name. This looks more deserving of something like Captain Earth/Planet then that other series ever did.

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

What we need is someone to license this series for North America and let the old Captain Planet cast provide the dub voices.