"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by dmxx116, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I have no ideas on this other than the thought that they should bring in The Falcon and Sharon Carter (that was her at the end of the first movie, right?). I'm kinda divided on bringing Red Skull back vs. introducing Baron Zemo or Baron von Strucker. Probably one of the latter two since to me Skull was OK but not super awesome, and for all we know he's dead or will be gone for good after "Avengers".

But uh, is a sequel even greenlighted?

3. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

sin the red skulls daughter and maybe the winter soldier

4. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

Depends on what era they set it in. If it takes place during WWII, then either Baron Zemo or Strucker would be good. The latter would probably be easier to translate into live action than the former, but I'm also curious to see how they could make ol' purple-sock work in that format. However, if it's set in modern times, than Winter Soldier should get top billing over anyone else.

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

The writers have mentioned that the first film's timeline allows them to flashback to WWII if they need to.

I imagine Cap will earn around the same amount as Thor did, so a sequel should be coming. Hugo Weaving wasn't signed to a multi-picture deal, but Sebastian Shaw was, so The Winter Soldier is a possibility.

If they do flashbacks in the sequel, I would like to see how America reacted following the supposed loss of Captain America.

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I definitely want to see Red Skull come back. Hugo Weaving was fantastic and the filmmakers finally got Red Skull right, so I hope we get more than one film with him. I found his fate rather ambiguous, so I think they could easily bring him back and not have it be a stretch. Perhaps have another villain in the second film, but set up Red Skull's return at the end and then have him back full-bore in a third film.

As for setting, I lean heavily towards keeping him in WWII, but if they could do them properly, I wouldn't mind seeing at least some flashbacks. I just tend to prefer WWII era Cap adventures over contemporary ones.

7. ToonsLover

ToonsLover Lover of Toons

I think the sequel is to be set in modern times now (probably continued off the ending of the first movie).

8. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

That'd be Sebastian Stan, actually. Shaw, being a fictional X-Men foe, can't be hired.

I think Winter Soldier might be my preference, something that's highly wanted by fans and needed before the series runs out of steam. I'm not quite sure how we can bring Red Skull back to fit into this storyline, (depends if Avengers reveals his fate), and I do want Hugo back badly! So perhaps instead, we can see if Prof. Zola managed to bring some tricks and robots into the modern age (eg. Awesome Android, Doughboys)

As for the main character story, it also depends on Cap's story in The Avengers. We may not know for sure if he's fully adapted to modern life yet by the end of the film.

9. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

Fact is, Zemo or Strucker could be brought up in a sequel if they concentrate on the rise of Hydra. Hydra could easily have both in some kinda cryogenic stasis or simply flashback to the Howling Commandos fighting the old Zemo then we meet his son in the present. They could easily introduce Strucker the same and we could see them transform Armin Zola. Somehow, though, I think they will use most of these Hydra guys for the S.H.I.E.L.D. film.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Funny, when I was reviewing the film on some forums, I also kept calling him Sebastian Shaw instead of Stan. LOL! Although Sebastian Shaw is also the actor who played Anakin in Return of the Jedi. :D

11. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I'd imagine the film will be about Cap being a man out of time and adjusting to the modern era. Avengers will cover some of that I'd imagine, but since it's a team film it won't cover as much as a solo one can so there'll be story points Cap 2 could use afterwards.

Zemo or Strucker would work as villains, or their descendants at least and we could have flashbacks to Cap fighting their father in WWII. I'd say they should set up Winter Soldier in Cap 2 but save his story for Cap 3 as it probably won't mesh well with the man out of time aspects.

Sharon Carter is a must. There should be a SHIELD presence in this as Cap should be relying on their help to get him acclimated to the new century.

12. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I would totally like to see Baron Zemo in the sequel, just saw the movie and would be cool to see some flashbacks where Captain America was also taking out other foes like Zemo and see if how he fits in the present also Armin Zola should show up but looking like his comic book counterpart.

I think Bucky AKA Winter Soldier might show up in the third movie, would be cool to see 2 friends fight each other and see how it will end.

13. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

At this point, I don't care what the plotline is or who will be in it. We have the Avengers before we can truly speculate. I just have to say this: Claim Fourth of July weekend 2014, Marvel! It was a shock the first one didn't open then, and the weekend is perfect for the series, for obvious reasons.

14. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I'd love it if they did a reemergence of Hydra story with either Zemo or Strucker as the head, and Viper as second in command. They could probably drop hints about Bucky's fate and and go for a dark Empire Strikes Back feel with a full reveal in the last third of the movie, leading to a third movie fully geared around the Winter Soldier.

Captain America has been the first Marvel Studios movie where I felt really confident about the possible sequels they could make.

16. Superpan

Superpan New Member

Now...I'm not saying that recasting should be done constantly...but if you can recast Rhodey and THE INCREDIBLE HULK, I would say it's acceptable that if Weaving decides not to come back, another actor could take the rein, what with it being a mask and all.

That said, he said he wasn't going to make a lot more, so maybe he'd be up to returning for one more or so.

17. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

Well, Weaving has done about six major blockbusters in the past decade including the Matrix and Lord the Rings films. I think he may be back for Hobbit too, not sure.

18. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

You know, I've been thinking it over, and I've decided that I really don't want to see another Captain America sequel set in the past. While it was nice to have a period piece to stand out from the other Marvel flicks, now that the Cap' is canonically in the present, his future adventures should be focused mainly on the present as well. In fact, the only reason I see for keeping CA 2 set between the events of the first film is to give more focus and character development to some of the supporting characters from the first. However, I personally feel that's too limiting, and I really want to see Winter Soldier.

However, since many of us do want to see some more of Captain America's Nazi villians on screen as well, here's an idea: what if a potential sequel rewrote Bucky's backstory slightly so, somehow, someone like Baron Strucker or Zemo would be involved in his rebirth as Winter Soldier? This doesn't necessarily mean completely removing the Soviets from the equation - perhaps one of those villians could be the one that found Bucky's frozen body, and partnered with the USSR on the Winter Soldier project in order to further his own goals. I'm not a comic expert though, so I don't know if the staple versions of these characters would do such a thing. What do you guys think?

19. Death by BB Gun

Death by BB Gun New Member

I've seen people mentioning possibly putting Sharon Carter in the sequel. If that happens, who do you see playing her?

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I would be OK with flashback sequences. But ultimately if you do sequels they should be set in the present and the here and now. I sort of want to see Captain America struggling to fit into the modern day and searching for his place in the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.