1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Captain America: The First Avenger" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Overlord, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

It's to tie this movie with the success of Iron Man. Some people will associate the Stark of Tony Stark with Howard Stark of this trailer.

2. ktk

ktk Member

Obviously. That's why I said it felt gratuitous. I mean come on, they made it a point to say a minor character's name in a trailer. They namedropped him simply for the sake of namedropping him.

Though like I said, not that it's a bad thing.

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Looking pretty good. The only thing that kinda looks off is Chris' head on the small body looks really off at times and other times looks alright. But that's pretty minor as the rest of it looks great.

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Actually, if you keep in mind Iron Man 2, having Howard Stark involved in the Captain America project does make sense given how

After seeing the trailer, I think I kinda preferred the Captain America footage that appeared on Conan last night, :p

5. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

6. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Member

Well the Captain America old tv show I grew up with in the 1970s-1980s. Hope that this movie will be a hit. And see that for new generations. As the comics are still popular. Chris Evans is a hunk, speaking from a woman's POV!;)

7. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Some of the period detail was sort of fun, and a few of the bits of production design look cool, but generally a bit underwhelming and looking like fan service. Looks a bit like a placeholder rather than a full-fledged movie, the same problem I thought afflicted Iron Man 2. Still, judging a whole movie based on a little trailer, maybe it'll be lots of fun.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Do you mean the two 1979 TV films starring Reb Brown? The only 1970s/80s TV appearances I could find for Cap were those two films and a couple guest appearances on the 1981 Spider-Man and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.

I was hoping Cap would get his own series this year to tie-in with the film. :( It amazes me that as famous and iconic a character as Captain America has never gotten his very own series, though it almost happened in the 90s.

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

It might be difficult getting Captain America off the ground when it may only get released domestically in The States. I don't think too many international televion stations would want to air a series about a patriotic character so specifically named America. And most American animation studios, including Marvel, may find it better to just go with another more profitable character altogether.

10. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I can understand what you're saying. Given how I wasn't really impressed by the film's trailer, it does feel as if the film is pretty much done as a "set-up" for next year's Avengers film (so that way, the Avengers fiilm doesn't to focus too much time on setting up Captain America's origins, with his focus in the title instead being geared towards

11. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Marvel has name-brand recognition around the world, so I don't think it'd be a problem if the show was simply well-written and well-made. But even if it was only released in the US, it'd at least be worth a shot given how many other Marvel characters have gotten to have their time in animation.

12. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

This was a great first full-length trailer. Unlike the Thor trailers so far, which I thought were a bit too short and underwheming, this one really conveyed an epic feel. The special effects and acting look about as good as any other recent superhero movie, and if the plot isn't too convolted and gives a decent amount of spotlight to all the characters, I think Marvel could really have a hit on their hands. :)

13. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

Seriously? Wow, this EASILY the one movie I'm looking forward to this movie than any other movie this Summer.
    Even more so? I'd compare my excitement to Batman Begins, and I don't even like Cap' that much.

14. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Man-o-man! the Captain America trailer is awsome you have whimpy Steve Rogers transformed into Captain America, Bucky Barnes, The Howling Commandos with Dum Dum Dugan, Hydra and The Red Skull in WW2. This looks like a Jack Kirby dream movie!

15. dmxx116

16. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

That interview was worth it just for the M.O.D.O.K TV show comment. "Heeeere's MODOK!" indeed. :D

On a more serious note, it's good to see the screenwriters on Cap recognize the dangers of using too many villians. So many superhero movies have been messed up thanks to a literal mess of antagonists crowding the spotlight, and not just third installments. I'm glad to know The First Avenger won't suffer from the same problem - Red Skull should be plenty big enough to carry the first film on his own. ;)

17. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

Them saying "we're not going to crowd the movie with too many villains" is a good thing to hear. When I heard HYDRA was going to be involved in the movie, I figured we'd see some trace of Baron Strucker, but it sounds like he'll only appear in the movie tie-in video game, which is okay.

18. dmxx116

19. dmxx116

20. dmxx116

Captain America movie news.

Chris Evans of the hotly anticipated film talks about being skinny Steve Rogers (and the underdog of the film), as well as touching on the story of the film:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/04/16/captain-america-chris-evans-wimpy-alter-ego/

After almost a year, Chris Evans finally expands on his initial reluctance to take the role of a lifetime as Captain America:The First Avenger . Anxiety was a factor:

http://whosnews.usaweekend.com/2011...e-star-spangled-superhero-of-captain-america/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.