1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Captain America: The First Avenger" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Overlord, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Overlord

The Overlord Active Member

Since Marvel plans on making a Captain America movie, what do you hope to see in this movie?

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For starters, I suppose using Red Skull is inevitable. I definitely want some WWII era backstory, maybe devote almost as much time to that as Iron Man spent up to the end of Tony's time in the cave.

One big aspect of Cap is that he's the embodiment of patriotism, and he also follows his own integrity. Perhaps the movie should do what's sort of happening in the comics right now, where there's some nasty conspiracy to undermine the Government and destroy the country from the inside out. Naturally Cap is the only one who can stop it, but it means fighting against some nasty elements of the Government as well as the bad guys. He would have good allies in the Government supporting him of course, as well as support from S.H.I.E.L.D. Samuel Jackson should get some face time as Nick Fury.

Aside from that, open season. Cap's a fantastic character, so as long as the characterization is on the level of the Iron Man or Spider Man films it should be terrific.

3. The Overlord

The Overlord Active Member

I heard the whole movie will be set in WWII.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Ah, looks like you're right.

Hmm, well then...I suppose some updated takes on some of the classic comic stories will do. I suppose it should go up to when he gets trapped in ice, and then the Avengers Movie can get him out.

Perhaps they can drop some hints about Winter Soldier, that would be a good idea for a Captain America 2 if the film does well enough.

5. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

The title, "The First Avenger: Captain America" definitely implies that an Avengers movie is on the way.

This is unreal. The Marvel movies are turning into their own universe! I wonder if we'll be seeing Toby Macguire again as Spidey in another Marvel movie?

If they do New Avengers, Toby Macguire and Hugh Jackman are a must. Yeah, I know ... I'm not taking any bets on it happening either.

6. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I just have to say that I'm thrilled to death that it will be set during WWII, as a Captain America film should be. I'm assuming they'll use Red Skull as the villain, which is cool with me.

7. Russkafin

Russkafin Bringer of Darkness

That would be freaking awesome!

I don't know if anyone remembers this... there was a time in the 1990's when The Fantastic Four was replaced by Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Hulk. How about an "FF" movie with Maguire, Jackman, Cage, and Norton?? :)

8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

first, i don't want it to be called the first avenger: captain america. the title itself implies that it's nothing more than a spin off/tie in to the avengers movie. we don't need to see the word avenger in the captain america title. secondly, open the movie on the 4th of july. it's the captain america movie, opening on the 4th of july!!! how is that not bad marketing???!!

my idea was/is to make 2 movies at the same time part one is set in world war ii and ends with cap missing in action/getting frozen. in part two he gets defrosted and tries to adjust to the new time period we live in today. part two would focus on what exactly being american means to captain america since the times have changed and the enemies we face today (namely terrorism) are different then the enemies of world war ii. i don't know if i'd actually want to see cap fight terrorists in the film, but at the same time it seems like he should be fighting terrorists and it would be logical while dealing with terrorism as the subject matter.

if that rumor is right about the movie taking place in world war ii, then i can't see how the sequel won't be some kind of variation of my idea for the sequel. unless captain america 2 will be the avengers :sad:.

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yep, that's confirmed. In fact Captain America is tentatively set for May of 2011 with Avengers coming in July, just a couple of months later.

I'm not worried about it coming off as a tie-in. If its written like the best of the Marvel movies, it'll hold up, and the two films will end up hyping each other.

10. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I'm extremely concerned about how long it'll take before the tides turn on these comic book movies. That is, I'm glad that Marvel is really starting to take the situation into their own hands, but it seems like there's already a bit of a glut as far as these superhero films are concerned and they're just really going to be flooding the market in the next few years. It will be really interesting to see where this goes.

11. Bones Justice

Bones Justice Bring on the noise!

I hope they will keep his costume like in the comic books. I guess it's okay if they have the wings flat on the sides of his hood but he needs to have the wings. He looks odd in the Ultimate Avengers DVD's; he looks much better in the movie with Matt Salinger since he has the wings. I'd also like to see the original design for Nick Fury but if they could get Samuel L. Jackson as Fury, I'd be okay with that.

12. The Weed Of Cri

The Weed Of Cri Smarter than you

I'd like to see Captain America be what he was created to be: a patriotic hero that celebrated America. It's no secret that film community has an open contempt for the country that made them all wealthy, and they are more concerned these days with placement in foreign theaters than domestic ticket sales. I have reservations about this film, because Cap is a "super-soldier", and soldier means military, which Hollywood doesn't like to glorify (those of you remember the last Captain America movie may recall that the Red Skull had recruited a corrupt Army General to help him take over America).

There is still a possibility that the movie can be done properly, if it is indeed set entirely in World War 2. The Nazi are the only film villains specifically associated with a particular national/ethnic identity that Hollywood will still use without fears of looking bigoted.

Of course, if we are getting a World War II Cap, the movie should have a cameo by Hugh Jackman as Logan. That would be cool.

13. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Who is now rrreeeeallllyy outdated, and possible offensive his original context :p?

You remind me so much of my father. Especially given that most Jerry Bruckheimer-produced extravaganzas and blockbusters in recent memory glorify America and our military and manufacturing might (National Treasure, Pearl Harbor, Top Gun, The Fast and the Furious, I could go on forever) as the absolute ideal :p.

Excuse me? Maybe you'd like to run that by me again?

Thus essentially making a Captain America movie into Raiders of the Lost Ark Part II :p?

My sentiments exactly.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The sort of people that would consider it "offensive" would never go and see a movie called "Captain America" in the first place. Part of Cap's character is being a man living out of his time. His context will and should be left as-is.

15. Aizen

Aizen Former 5th Squad Captain.

Yay, another good superhero movie to look forward to.

16. Damien

Damien Watching

I love how people are afraid to offend or be offended by anyone trying to take pride in their own country.

Bottom line, answering the question, I want to see the Red Skull with a red skull throughout the entire film, once his origin is shown, of course. No skin mask stupidness afterwards.

17. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

That's true, but that won't stop them from torturing the rest of us with misguided accusations and assumptions regarding said movie.

I would think no one on this board would be a stranger to the concept of judging a movie sight unseen.... :p

For the record, I would want to see a movie that is true to what Captain America is about and not some weak-kneed liberal aberration like, oh say, the upcoming G.I. Joe movie.

18. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

While it's obviously not what they will do with the movie (nor am I necessarily saying that they should), there some great ideological exploration that could be done with the Captain America character.

19. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

my greatest fear is they rush the captain America movie to get to the avengers
    captain America is to big a charter too make a bad movie
    he's to marvel what batman is to dc

20. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

Too late for that, there's already made a bad live action adaptation of him. But since this is the here and now, I get what you mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.