1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Captain America: Civil War" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I could go for that instead of another movie where we're wondering if she knows or waiting 50 years to tell her in an issue in the comics.

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If it's this early in Peter's career, and considering the comics they're trying to emulate, I doubt they'll have Aunt May know or at least explicitly know. Every movie Aunt May so far has shown signs that they knew Peter was Spider-Man, but I'm not sure if they'll go for that so early with the MCU Spider-Man :eek:.

3. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I see Marisa Tomei as a hip aunt who helps Peter, not a clueless patsy. Peter will have to talk to somebody about being Spider-Man. Aunt May sounds like a good fit for that role. She could be an Alfred type for Peter.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I could also see them using MJ in that role ala Ultimate :).

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I doubt that, remember they want to play up the H.S. drama. Yeah, her knowing later on will eventually happen, but I don't think Peter will have a main squeeze this quick. I think he'll have multilpe love interests, as in the comics.

The reason I think May knows Peter is Spidey, because it's the closest reveal we could get to the Civil War comic. Her finding out in the film, or already having prior knowledge, could also work into the plot perfectly.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well supposedly the newest Spider-Man movie isn't suppose to focus as much on the romance as the last spider man movies have so even if we have either Gwen or Mary Jane in that movie they won't have the prominence they did in other films.

More on topic with this one. You think since we know the teams, there's going to be clashes where we get to see the various members squarring off? I hope so and if that's the case here's how I imagine it breakng down.

Naturally the big battle will be Captain America vs Iron Man with Steve and Tony fighting and likely arguing politics at the same time.

Then I imagine a battle between Falcon and War Machine.... yeah I know it's sort of cliched to have both "supportive black best friends" fight one another but come on, it'd still be a good fight as I'm imagine this aerial military dogfight between Wilson and Rhodes.

Then you'd have Agent 13 vs Black Widow... yeah okay obviously the "chick battle" but eh could still be awesome. Plus hey sure we'll see Scarlet Witch doing something else.... still don't know why her role hasn't been spelled out any but eh what can you do about that?

Then I'd imagine Hawkeye vs Vision. If only because seems like it'd be an interesting match up that likely be a cat and mouse came of hawkeye trying to run around and snap at the machine but Vision antipcating all of Clint's tricks and what not.

Then the Winter Soldier vs Black Panther. I don't know why they'd fight or how it'd go but can't think of anyone else for those to really battle with.

Also I want Peter to be on Tony's side, so we can see Ant-Man take on Spider-Man. Come on who doesn't want that match up? I'd imagine if there was a super inventive and ultra creative fight in this movie it would be that one with how Scott and Petey would try taking the other down.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, isn't it already confirmed that Widow and Hawkeye have a fight?

8. the greenman

That's correct. No idea how any of the others will break down. I personally would love Panther vs. Falcon, cat and canary so to speak. I think Sharon against Vision would be interesting, if only to see what she's capable of.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure they'll fight others on the opposing team... It won't be just Hawkeye vs Black Widow for 2 hours.

Also some of the D23 footage was leaked in low res. Nothing major really - a little of what Crossbones looks like and a little of a/the Iron Man suit used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

A lot more of it leaked in gif form but then got immediately taken down by the lightning speed of Disney's lawyers.

Among other things:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

There's a rumour floating around that Scarlet Witch was a late addition to the film (sorry if someone has already mentioned this), thus explaining her absence from the promo art, but I don't buy it. All the other Avengers from the end of Age of Ultron are pictured, plus Black Panther. So there must be a (spoilerish) reason for her absence... I'm guessing that she will inadvertently cause some kind of catastrophe early on in the film which will result in the big stand-off between former friends later on, and that Wanda may be locked up or otherwise out of action for most of the film because of this. Whether I'm right or wrong, I hope she'll have an important role to play and that that'll she'll get her fair share of big action moments.

• Like Like x 1
  12. reflection01

That makes sense, Shadowstar.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/30: That's been rumored to happen.

8/31: <checks watch> So the latest Spider-Man and Tony rumor is
    That's a bit more palpable than the last rumors...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As far as that rumor:

15. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I always hated the web shooters. I never bought the idea that they show Peter as a smart kid. If he, as a teenager could develop web shooters that no scientist could ever even dream of, then I have no idea why he isn't the head of NASA by the time he's 21. Even Tony couldn't do that as a teenager. They always seemed dumb to me, and open the door to lazy plot devices ("Oh no, my web shooters are empty!") It's not about realism, it's about what makes more sense. What makes sense, that this teenager could develop devices that we could never even dream of, or that the spider bite gave him webs? So to sum up, I'm 100% fine if Tony makes the web shooters, and disappointed in Marvel if Peter builds them. Or better yet, just go for what makes more sense and bring back the organic web shooters.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  17. reflection01

That makes sense, Yojimbo. Introducing yet another genius inventor to the MCU will be a challenge they have to overcome.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
    #478 Frontier, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  19. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

According to Mark Ruffalo, Banner was supposed to appear and was present in earlier drafts of the screenplay, but it was decided that they wanted to keep what happened to him before Infinity War a secret.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. the greenman

That is interesting. I wonder if they are not going to have him show up until then. Has Universal become the new FOX for Marvel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.