1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Captain America: Civil War" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

First Press Release 5/7/15

A third Captain America movie is in the works. First reported on January 28, 2014
    Today (3/11), the Russo Brothers have been confirmed as the directors of the third movie.
    Release Date: May 6, 2016

Related Threads

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Because I flat out refuse to see an Avengers movie (or ANY movie with Iron Man it - First Avenger doesn't count because it was a teaser sequence), did they do a "Cap adjusting to the present day" story yet? This is what I want to see most.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, they did that type of story in Avengers and deleted scenes of Avengers. It's been said that won't be the case in The Winter Soldier. It's (I think) 1 year after the Battle of New York and he's settled in. No more "What's Internet?" kind of lines. True, he's got a checklist of things to do to 'catch up' to the present. But it doesn't look like 3 will return to the "man out of time" aspect of Captain America.

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just read somewhere last week, I think in an interview or set visit with the directors of Winter Soldier, and they seemed to suggest the film would be further showing Cap adjusting to the present day. They said with The Avengers, he's kind of quickly thrown into things and not given much of a chance to show his adjustment, so that TWS would show him finally coming to terms with the fact he's in the present and everybody (or most) he knew were long gone.

5. rggkjg1

Even more bigger/important to the "man out of time" (at least how I see and feel about it), what we believe in today, what it means to be an American today, might differ from what Cap felt back in the 40s. Does he have to change his mentality/philosophy? Or does his mentality/philosophy still hold true or even more today? That's an aspect I want explored.

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My understanding is that Cap's morality, and how it fits in present day America, is one of the main focuses of Winter Soldier :).

7. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Uh pardon me if this sounds mean or anything, but.... exactly what is stopping you from seeing a movie with Iron Man in it? Is it hatred of Robert Downy Jr's portrayal of the character, or a dislike of him in general? Because honestly that really shouldn't stop you from seeing The Avengers if you're a fan of Captain America. Really to me it feels kind of essential to at least see the Avengers before checking out the movies that come next in the Marvel Movie universe Not seeing it just seems ridiculous if you're a fan of at least one of the characters of the team.

8. rggkjg1

The only Avenger I care for is Captain America. I have a mild/semi interest in Black Widow and Nick Fury (their comic counterparts) and no interest in the rest of the cinematic or comic Avengers (and by default no interest in their solo movies). Since I didn't see and literally have no intention to see The Avengers for the rest of my life, I have no idea what so ever if "the man out of time" aspect was touched on or to what extent in The Avengers.

9. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

You are missing out on great films, for silly reasons from the sounds of it. How do you know you won't like something until you give them a fair try.

There are a few man out of time scenes in The Avengers deleted scenes, which were deleted as they intended to explore this story in the Captain America sequel.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Eh, he's not really missing out, IMO. I didn't think the first Iron Man was all that good and watching the second one last year just about put me into a coma. I can't remember the last time I saw an "action movie" that was that utterly slow and boring. Thor had too much fish-out-water slapstick, although I did like Hemsworth and thought the scenes on Asgard were fascinating and the best parts. And The Avengers was essentially just two hours of annoying Buffy-esque bickering, followed by a 15-minute or so action scene. I did like whenever Cap was on screen, though. So I know where rggkjg1 is coming from, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Unless it's Captain America, I just don't care for the MCU.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

According to New York Post writer Reed Tucker, directors Anthony & Joe Russo suggested today that the third installment is "slated to begin shooting in 2015" and it would "pick up where story left off in Captain America: The Winter Soldier." So looks like it could be made in time for the May 6, 2016 slot.

12. rggkjg1

I've been able to live my life just fine without seeing any of these movies and have had no second thoughts at all about caving in and seeing them. If these movies are in fact the greatest things ever, yet I still refuse to see them and truly am missing out, well that's my fault and only my fault. I didn't want to bring it up because I knew we would go here, but I also figured if I mentioned I have no interest in these movies it would save someone the trouble of just saying "they did it in so and so" or "see so and so". This way I know going in that it's been touched on so I'm not asking later on "did they do this?". I might as well put this on the record as well so I'm not picking on Iron Man and the rest of the Avengers. Just as I do with The Avengers films, I refuse to ever see Rise Of The Silver Surfer. I like the first film and would have seen a sequel, but upon hearing about their take on Galactus I wanted nothing to and still want nothing to do with that movie.

I just hope the same people (in general, not here) who are quick to dismiss, disregard, roll their eyes, sigh, etc at my reasons for not seeing these movies (or why I have no interested in the characters) will be just as quick to do the same thing to people who wont see a future solo DC movie only because (god forbid) Batman isn't in it, or wont see an Aquaman movie because of his bad rep in countless jokes/parodies in other media (and because Batman isn't in the Aquaman movie either).

And once again, if they are aiming for a May 2016 release, why cant they just have it out on the fourth of July (or that weekend)??!! It's Captain AMERICA! Captain America, July 4 opening day (or weekend) .The marketing speaks for itself and will no doubt be brilliant.

13. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Why are you posting so much about movies you do not plan to watch?

14. Neo Ultra Mike

I guess that's a fair enough point. I can understand being a fan of something in a group and not caring for the rest. Personally though I'm enough of a fan that I'd check out at least everything connected to the character even if I didn't the related characters but again different tastes.

It is also weird because Marvel booked a date on July 8th. They didn't book July 1st because that's when Independance Day 2 is suppose to come out and well the marketing of that even kind of trumps Captain America. Plus ID was technically a bigger franchise so guess Marvel felt it'd be better to claim the week after. Though as even the article noted we don't know for sure yet as even the insiders could be wrong and really CA3 is being talked about more because of the second movie coming out in a month. It could be something else for all we know now but since attention is on the Cap for the moment might as well try hinting more at his next move.

Still if this is the case and Cap really does throw down with the "Batman vs Superman" film then yeah, this is going to be DC's loss. And I don't mean they're going to loose at the box office to the film, but they're going to loose enough money here for it to be considered much more of a failure. Because even though Batman vs Superman is a bigger name, Cap is still a pretty high attraction. And if The Winter Solider goes over well that's two really good movies that did at least fairly well (have to assume on the later at least) so there will be a strong following for it, especially with Avengers 2 giving Cap even more of a boost. So it will still be an actual box office battle and considering for all we know this could be the end of Cap's solo films (I don't know the exact plans for the franchises besides Iron Man's having ended for the moment but I can't imagine they're going to go ahead with a Thor or Cap 4 even after the third Avengers) and the true start of the DC Cinematic Universe, that again is going to look far more down on DC then Marvel. Of course maybe the two won't compete directly but again I have a feeling that DC will blink first over Marvel as they have far more to loose.

15. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

16. rggkjg1

Assuming the second Avengers movie is just as big of a hit as the first one, and if this third Captain America movie is the first of the solo Avengers films to come out after, I'd say go for it and compete against Superman/Batman.

#16 rggkjg1, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  17. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

WB/DC really shot themselves in the foot. Not just by delaying the movie to the same date as an unannounced Marvel movie. They are so late to the party that their first movie featuring the two most iconic comic book characters, heck two of the most iconic fictional characters in general comes out at the same time as the third Captain America movie and fifth movie overall featuring Captain America.

18. Neo Ultra Mike

Actually to be fair it isn't the first Solo Avengers film to come out After Age of Ultron. In late July 2015 we'll have the Ant Man film finally coming out. Technically Ant Man will make his first appearance in that film but he is obviously a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and pretty sure he's a shoe in for Avengers 3. Technically Cap 3 will be the first of the Solo films after Age of Ultron to star a character we know about so may be the first to truly deal with the fallout of Age of Ultron as Ant Man is suppose to be more stand alone. Again though this is a bad move on DC's part especially since again Marvel has dominated that specific spot for a decade and fairly sure Amazing Spider Man 2 and Age of Ultron will continue that trend.

19. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.