1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't say "kill"

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Maxie Zeus, May 22, 2001.

1. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

And you thought Kid's WB was tough on letting the word "kill" through. From the Asbury Park Press:

-----
    Fifth-grader Derrick Cowit was joking with fellow students recently about the strict Manalapan Englishtown Regional School District policy requiring automatic suspensions when students use words that could constitute a threat -- such as "kill."

On the bus, the 11-year-old wondered aloud what would happen if the word "doughnut" were to be substituted for the word "kill." Once at school, he was swiftly suspended after the overheard conversation was reported by another student.

The comments that got him suspended for three weeks were, "I'll give you a doughnut. It will be so big and I'll put sprinkles on it," said Derrick, who attends Lafayette Mills Elementary School.
    -----

Maybe starting next season Kid's WB will start requiring all the action shows to replace "kill" with "doughnut"....:rolleyes:

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

It gets worse. Two kids were suspended for playing"Cowboys and Indians" on the playground. They were suspended becuase their hands were pointed at each other like a gun. Pretty sad.

3. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

opinionjournal.com has a running feature under its "Best of the Web Today" banner, called "Zero Tolerance Watch." Everyday there's at least one new horror story about "zero tolerance" idiocies. That's where I found the link to the "doughnut" story; cowboys and indians was also there.

4. Fish

Fish Danish Dynamite

*LAUGHS OUT VERY LOUD!*
    ..now excuse me for laughing and being rather ignorant about the issue, but what did they excpect?
    I mean...As far as I know, everyone can get a gun when they just have waited for 14 days for the permit. (ok, I know there are rules I just don't know them)
    My point is, that people do have guns! Children die because they find their dady's gun and blast their own heads off or join gangs and the gangs have guns and every one has a ******* GUN!
    Why? because you are allowed to have a gun cuz of some constition that was made back when England ruled...( hey I'm not good at american history either!)
    Here where I live you can only get a gun permit if you are a hunter. So there are not many guns here ( except for the ones Hells Angels bring in!!! so there are illigal guns)
    I don't get the point about free speech in the US...they say you are allowed to say enything cuz it's a free country, but they bleep out half you say and you can't even say kill on your way to school - as the example said. That is not freedom! he..here in DK ...well if I wanted to say all the cursewords I knew on national TV, no one would even blink! They air Ricky Lake and Jerry Springer here and gawd! Ask me how stupid I find it!!!!!
    ARGH!! I get sick when I watch it and hope that it must be actors who are up there cuz there is NO WAY that people can be that stupid!
    Sorry...I'm just venting.
    I see that you guys also find the Cowboy and Indians story stupid so there must be reasonable people around!
    And what's the stuff about censoring cartoons? To me it's a piece of history being denied. I do see how the bad treatment of various races were in the old cartoons, but people should be educated enough to know the difference! It's ok that they air edit cartoons when the kids are watching but they should not keep them hid for those who want to see it.

ahh...I knew I would get offtopic and of structure in this post, but I don't understand how the system works and how people think. Please let me know and answer my question and in case I said something stupid, correct me

Thanks for reading!

<>< F I S H ><>

5. optimal321

optimal321 The Manhunter from Mars

Now, i'm not 100% positive on this, but i think i know why we can censor cartoons and the like here in the US. We still have our First Amendment right of freedom of speech. We can make movies and cartoons w/ any obscenity, profanity, you name it. We just can't air it because the networks are watching their backs. Someone would get mad about the dirty TV and would either boycott or sue (not sure how they could win. Let me take this moment to remind you about the "not 100% positive" part) so the networks would loose viewers and thus money. That's why they send out censors to make sure everything is nice and clean for all age groups. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

6. Huntress

Huntress Guest

It's totally crazy!! And there's a rumour that the UK version of ROTJ had seatbelts added in the Batmobile - all in the name of political correctness :p ... but I have to say I've noticed belts in the episodes so maybe that's not true :rolleyes:

The best one over here is that the name 'Batman Beyond' was thought to be too ambiguous/dark for UK kiddies so it goes under the name of 'Batman of the Future' ... :confused: which is rather strange .... personally I think Batman belongs in the adult genre and so should be rated much higher so as to allow for the more 'gritty' stuff and thus avoid annoying edits/cuts .... but this has all been said before so apologies for rubbing salt in old wounds :rolleyes:

7. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

How we do it over here

Suffice it to say it's all very complicated and very controversial.

The Second Amendment does go back to post-revolutionary times, and is linked to a fear of the kind of central government the American colonies rebelled against. Two inter-related controversies are: (1) Did the framers of the Amendment intend to guarantee private ownership of firearms, or only the ability of the individual states to arm and maintain their own militias? (2) Even if the Amendment is meant to apply to private ownership, does it still make sense in the present day to be so lax about gun ownership? [I'm not taking a stand here, just laying out (some of) the issues.]

The First Amendment prevents the government from regulating free speech and expression, but private organizations (like networks, newspapers -- and message boards ;) ) are allowed to regulate their own content. Kid's WB has as much right to decide what they will and will not broadcast as the moderators here have to decide what kind of language and topics they will and will not allow. Whether they are exercising their editorial duties wisely and responsibly is a separate issue-- and again, one which is intensely controversial.

The common issue in both cases has to do with how much freedom and responsibility devolves upon the individual: Does he or she have the maximal right to own weapons, and to speak freely, or should these freedoms be constrained in the service of other social goals? Consistent libertarians favor maximizing individual freedoms; consistent communitarians favor across-the-board controls; most people mix and match depending upon their other interests and intuitions. The choices we've made in the US (relatively lax on gun control, relatively strict on certain kinds of speech) are not the ones made in Europe (relatively strict on gun control, relatively lax on certain kinds of speech), but you'd have to inquire into historical conditions to explain why there are these differences.

8. Rahziel

Rahziel Member

Re: Can't say "kill"- well once on BB

watch the episode THE WINNING EDGE, that doctor Btaman fought yelled out I'LL KILL YOU!!! after Batman blinded him. I heard "kill" through the first season a few times, that must of ticked off WB quite a bit. SLAG! ICE! KILL!WHACK 'EM! they all mean the same and I bet many kids know this.

9. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Repression in the 00's

All of this reminds me of my Boston Public post on the old boards about people being punished for their thoughts, and that what all of this is boiling down to. But I can rather understand what these schools are going thru. They have to be literally walking on egg shells and they feel they can't take any chances. Zero tolerance, right? It's the same as going thru an airport security check and "joking" about having a bomb. That's a good way to get yourself arrested right there.

I work at a bank and I do the ATM, which is outside, and I work in a rather low income area that has been known to be unsafe. I was pulling the money out one day to fill it (with a security guard present) and I felt my heart jump into my throat when I heard a voice say, "Give me all your money." It was some dumb-ass customer (sorry if that word offends anybody on this board, but there is nothing nice I can say about him!) who thought he was going to be funny. I wanted the guard to say something to him but he felt he would only if the customer made a habit of doing it again. So I went to the branch manager and she thought it was highly inappropriate, but nothing was said to the customer. I was quite upset about that. I felt he should be told that humor wasn't funny.

So you can see I have mixed feelings about this school situation you are all talking about. Kids today KNOW there is a zero tolerance in the schools today. I don't know these kids personally, but I know the kids I went to school with who would do things like this and they were usually cocky and asking for it. I am not saying all the kids getting suspended are like this, as I shun sterotypes, but I am sure several of them know the egg shells on which they were walking. It is in kids to test authority and to see how far they can push the envelope.

On the other hand, all this repression will have a breaking point, and I doubt it will be very pretty. Kids need to have a certain level of freedom of expression. Everybody needs to have a certain freedom of expression!

10. James Harvey

BTW - The seatbelts were digitally added in on all the 'edited' versions of the movies, even the international versions.

11. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

Wasted effort

:rolleyes:

I've watched both versions-- I never noticed the addition of seat belts.

12. James Harvey

In the scene after Joker attacks during the party, when Terry is driving Wayne home. There's no seatbelts in the unedited, but there is in the edited.

13. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Seatbelts

Yeah, I noticed the seatbelts in the part DG is talking about. And if I recall right, they were added in there rather sloppilly? They don't really appear to be attatched to anything, they are just kinda black strips across their chests?

14. Huntress

Huntress Guest

:( perhaps it would simply be much kinder on all of us fans if the movie-makers didn't tell us about the edits .... despite ROTJ being an amazing film there is something sad about watching it when you know that the original version was so much better .... every film differs in its final form to its original idea but to read the screenplay and how powerful some of the scenes should be and then get a 'toned-down' version of that scene. It's criminal.

There was a rumour of an adult-rated release of the movie (possibly some time after all the 'fuss' has died down) .... ???

BTW apologies for the seatbelt confusion :rolleyes:

15. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

they don't want us to know either!

The studio would definately want to keep the edits in their movies quiet. I don't think they want thousands of upset fans emailing and writing them over this stuff. And the movie makers don't want us to know for the most part because they may work with the edits to tighten up or to polish a movie. (in the case of ROTJ, I think Timm and Dini felt rather cheated by WB and wanted us to know, but that's not in every case).

WB certainly didn't want us to know about this. I think the "official" story was that the DVD was being delayed to add bonus features. Other insiders leaked the info, obviously, and things were constructed from things Dini would leak out in interviews. But I am sure WB never wanted this to get out.

Also, careful viewers WILL notice the edits, no matter whether they know about them in advance or not.

16. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] i've noticed the edits......and all of them are listed in the rotj page here at worlds'f finest...........

anyway, this is just my opinion right here: parents blame the media or computer games for the violent things that some people have done. true there's a lot of violent things on tv, but its the parents responsibility to teach kids what is right and what is wrong. adults need to stop blaming others and fix what they're doing.[/color]

17. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

It will never happen

Ever since there has been parents with kids who act out, there have been scape goats for the parents to blame. If it isn't Eminem, it's Marilyn Manson. If it isn't Marilyn Mansion, it is Ozzie Osborne. If it isn't Ozzy, it's the Beatles. If it isn't the Beatles, it's Elvis. If it isn't Elvis, it's Benny Goodman. (You think I am kidding, but swing music caused ALOT of concern in parents when it first came out!)

People cannot, will not, and never will take the blame for themselves.

18. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

ROTJ really bitters our perspectives on how edits should be handled. But in either case -ROTJ's edit situation, or a movie's situation that's actually FAIR- I'd want to know about the edits. It doesn't have to be something written in the Constitution, just let me know, and possibly release the full movie on a special edition DVD. Mallrats' case calls for this, for example. A very significant beginning scene was cut out because the lousy test audience liked the one without it. But it had to go as far as changing some lines in the movie (that were already filmed mind you) because of the cut. If the movie's creator (and visionary mind you :) ) wanted me to see that scene in order to experience his movie, I'd want it.

And Cal's right about knowing edits were done. ROTJ, has scenes like Terry punching a goon with his right hand, but in the next frame his right hand is extended. Wonder how THAT happened.

Geez, the more you think about it, the more applications the First Ammendment argument goes through. Of course, things like saying you have a bomb in an airport are obviously inexcusable. The airport example especially, matter of fact. They don't tollerate anything, and rightly so. I just think censorship is overdoing it. Yeah I think there should be censorship, but this country, and most likely even this world is raising a generation of little itty bitty wussies. And we find examples of this every da....I mean, darn day.

For some reason I find the swearing on TV funnier when it's bleeped out. But what I can't stand is the line changes of movies on TV!! Oh lord they do a horrific job.

19. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I don't know, it seems like censorship on TV has gotten worse not better. After all, they swore once in a Taco Bell commercial which has always been a rarity in ads. (Minus the ones for shows and movies.) To me that's been a real disappointment.