Can Futurama return to Adult Swim?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

The final season of Futurama is airing on Comedy Central. Sometime after that season ends, can the show conceivably return to Adult Swim, or will there be some contractual problems with that?

I remember reading in this earlier thread that Adult Swim can't air The Simpsons until the show is cancelled. Does the same hold true for Futurama?

2. Eggy

Eggy DA EGGY

Let's not repeat that thing from 10 years ago. Futurama had its run.

3. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

What I am unsure of is whether or not the produced for Comedy Central episodes would be allowed to air on Adult Swim, if they did get the rights to air the show again. Would Comedy Central retain the rights to those specific episodes, or would those rights revert to 20th Century Fox?

4. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

The latter seems like. And yeah, I too would love Futurama to return to [adult swim].

5. vegeta95748

vegeta95748 New Member

I wouldn't mind seeing it on [as] again. I honestly haven't been keeping up with it since it left [as], so it would give me some reason to finally watch the Comedy Central episodes.

6. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

If Futurama did return, I think it would be perfect as a lead-in for Toonami. It would likely perform better than Boondocks currently does, and there's more of a crossover audience between Futurama and Toonami. Fittingly enough, Futurama used to to lead Toonami out for Adult Swim on Saturdays back when it was last airing there.

7. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Meh, King of the Hill has already filled the void on AS, and CC still needs more than just South Park.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

If it ever does return, you can forget about any more new episodes. AS didn't have the budget then and it doesn't now.

9. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Yet CC barely had the budget.

10. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I would have to say "No" as well, because Adult Swim pretty much got the rights to air it in the first place because no one else was interested in it, since they were in their "dumping ground for failed prime-time animated sitcoms" phase at the time.

11. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

As much as I've been grateful for the additional 52 episodes that Comedy Central has given the show, I wouldn't mind if that's it for new episodes. It doesn't really need any more than its already gotten.

12. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

All it takes is money.
    It depends on how determined Comedy Central is to hold on to the rights when the license is up for renewal (for seasons 1-4).
    For seasons 5-8, it depends on how the rights work, (because of CC helping fund them, do they have co-ownership, or is everything still owned by FOX?) but I would imagine it would be more expensive to get than seasons 1-4.

Personally, I would like to see Archer on Adult Swim.
    When do Family Guy's rights expire? 2015? It would be interesting to see if anybody would try to outbid Turner for the rights.

13. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Turner would likely bid as much as they could to make sure they don't lose Family Guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central or somebody else had attempted to outbid Turner for it the last time the rights were up. Plus, Comedy Central was in FOX's favor at the time, because they were willing to help fund new episodes for their Futurama deal.

14. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I'd watch Futurama more often if it was back on Adult Swim. They can get it if they want to and CC doesn't renew the rerun rights but it's gonna cost them.

15. NovelleX

NovelleX Destroyer of Threads

My local syndication CW often airs Comedy Central episodes on weekends, so I wouldn't say it's an impossibility.

16. Kuromi_Star

Kuromi_Star Neko mimi mode

Yeah, AS isn't the only Turner channel airing those FG episodes, so it's more of a priority.

17. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

There may be contractual problems, IMHO.