Can Coca-Cola expire?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Chad Bonin, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Chad Bonin

Chad Bonin a.k.a. Knux Five

This is something I've never thought of. Water can't go bad. Food can go bad, but Twinkies last forever.

So, I go to the basement fridge two days ago, to be aghast that there's no Coke. I grab the only reserve Fridge Pack off the top of the thing, pop it in, don't think anything about it.

Yesterday, I go down and grab a can. Take a sip. Note that the can's bottom is dented; no prob, it happens all the time. But I notice the date on the bottom says "APR05".

... can Coke go bad?

2. solarflere

solarflere New Member

Probably nor bad since it was sealed, but flat or decarbonated. Thats my guess.

Edit: on all the Coke botles it says "for best taste dring before the date above''. So it can't go bad, just taste not as good. A liquid that has acid in it can't realy become stail or bad, just decarbonated.

3. Kuja's Light

Kuja's Light The power of Trance....

Any drink that is man made, can go bad I'd say. I mean, Coke is godly..Ok maybe not, but it wouldn't stand lasting decades or more.

4. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

The expiration date on soda cans is mostly about taste - the soda eventually loses it's flavor and fizz. It is possible that the soda can grow mold if it's old enough (big, slimey, mucusy hunks of mold - I've seen it - yuck), but the mold actually doesn't pose much of a health risk. So, yeah, you can drink soda after it's expiration date (the general rule for soda is that it's "good" for three months after the expiration date), but I'm not sure why you'd want to if it's really old.

5. TrogdorNyimbhat

TrogdorNyimbhat New Member

Oh if it's from a plastic bottle and best before expired if you drink it you'll puke the whole day.

6. weredog

weredog Dog Inside

This brings up another question.I've heard of cans of Crystal Pepsi being sold on Ebay. I wonder if people A) actually bought it and B) it stayed intact over the years and C) the buyer actually attempted to drink it once they got it.

7. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

I was always under the impression that they stuck "expiration dates" on the cans as a marketing gimmick.:sweat:

8. Rook

Rook On the high edge of freedom

you know coke is basically chemicals, it doesnt have the fruits or dairy ingredients that milk or fruit juice has...except for the syrup. Its more inorganic than organic.

but course that doesnt explain why wines are meant to age...apparently the longer its stayed in isolation the better the taste.

9. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

Curious, did it taste odd at all?

I agree, that's just a date to cover themselves so if by chance it doesn't taste fabulous, you can't complain 'cause they told you it may not.

I just bought a case of Coke and all they all seem to be lacking some syrup. It just tastes a little teeny bit off, but it's off enough to be noticeable. =(

10. Kuja's Light

Kuja's Light The power of Trance....

Well I knew that pretty much Rook. That's what I was revealing to really.

11. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

I tried drinking some Cherry Coke from an UNOPENED bottle that had expired three weeks earlier.

It tasted horrible.

12. the Amanda

the Amanda Rogue Alchemist

Well, of course it did. It's Cherry Coke. :p

13. Tash

Tash New Member

Don't you watch FLCL? Old Crystal Pepsi makes people sick. :shrug:

Anyhow, I've still got 5 bottles of Pepsi Blue in my fridge. I can't bring myself to drink them.

14. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

I've seen Pepsi go mouldy. I'm really lazy when it comes to putting cans in the bin, and after having 2 next to my bed, I drank from the wrong one, spat it out in the sink and noticed a really thick layer of mould. It was probably the most disgusting thing I've tasted this side of black pudding.

And please tell me I didn't just read someone dissing Cherry Coke. :eek:

15. Strollymonster

Strollymonster NO SPRINGS!

ANYTHING can go bad, given enough time. Soda is no exception, as I proved a few weeks ago at my local card shop...bought a Diet Pepsi, started drinking it, then nearly threw up. Tasted like alcohol was mixed in. Complained, was given another, started that one...same result. Went through 6 CANS before we looked at the expiration dates...June, August, and September...of 2002. Crappy supplier for the shop gave them old soda.

So yes, they go bad.

16. Kurtman

Kurtman You blabbing old fart!

Maybe there is something in Coke that gives it a longer lifespan then most soft drinks.

17. Charlie

Charlie Der pushka.

My grandma has really old cans of Pepsi from 1999 in her pantry and she insists they are just as good the day she bought them. Last time I was at her house I drank one without realizing it, tasted a bit like gingerale and wasn't too fizzy. Didn't get sick one bit.

18. KarlOlson

KarlOlson Art Imitates Life

I'm going to guess however that the unopened can of Diet Pepsi that was originally made in 1988 that is currently sitting on my shelf, however, is probably not safe for human consumption.

Which is fine, I only have it cause it looks neat. I hate diet soda.

BTW, stuff in plastic bottles is more prone to losing fizz/taste than stuff in cans and glass bottles, as plastic bottles don't seal as well as cans and glass bottles. That probably explains the cherry pepsi bottle, especially if wasn't refridgerated.

19. the Amanda

the Amanda Rogue Alchemist

Indeed. Cherry Coke is vile. I don't know why anyone would drink this when they could instead choose regular Coke, Vanilla Coke, or Coke with Lime.

20. Muppet Pro

Muppet Pro New Member

I heard that they replace every expired Coke, immediately.