Can a game ever fully satisfy you?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by AquaTeen, Dec 10, 2013.

1. AquaTeen

AquaTeen Guest

Ive been thinking this over for a while. Is it possible after beating a game or completing a series to be left completely satisfied and fulfilled by your experience so that you desire nothing more from those characters, universe or even style of gameplay that you enjoyed so much?

Or is the very nature of people, games and just entertainment at large prohibitive of ever really providing a complete experience? If it is possible though what game(s) or series have done this for you or were the closest to doing so?

Of all the games Ive beaten Im not sure Ive ever been completely satisfied with the experience I had to the point that I didnt want it to continue on in some way. But if two games were ever the ones to come close theyd be Grim Fandango and Gabriel Knight:SotF. When they were over it just felt right.
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Newington, CT, USA
    It depends on both the game and on who you ask. As for me, as long a game tries its best to do what it sets out to do without catering/pandering to only certain types of game players, I'll be satisfied. OTOH, no matter what a game/series/franchise does, it won't be able to please everyone, and for that reason, there are going to be some people out there who won't ever be satisfied (partially or fully)...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
  3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

Sep 24, 2003
    Stars Hollow
    "Can a game ever fully satisfy you?"

You mean, like a woman? No, after reading the post, I guess that's not what you mean....

If such a game were that good, I would want much, MUCH more. I would only want no more of the game if it was terrible. So I don't get it.
  4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie Moderator

Jul 9, 2008
    Dream Land
    My opinion is that if a game is satisfying, one would want more of it (either through replay, sequels, fanfiction, whatever floats your boat).
  5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Mar 13, 2002
    Winner's Circle
    I think so, yeah. The Last of Us, for example,when it ends, it ENDS. Solidly and definitively, the story comes to its conclusion, what's there to be learned is learned, and there's no more motive for any further exploration or gameplay. A sequel would be missing the point. I know they're making a DLC, but it's just a prequel, and the game would be a fully satisfying experience without it.
  6. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume. Moderator Reporter

May 13, 2003
    I kinda felt that way about Threads of Fate. I enjoyed the game while playing it, but was satisfied with the story to the point where I didn't think a sequel was necessary, even though they kinda had a sequel hook. More importantly, though, I'd be surprised if I ever played all the way through it again.