1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

*Calling all musicians & remixers!*How do I transcribe a song? Please help!

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Mikurotoro92, May 13, 2016.

1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

If anybody knows how to do this or has any advice please let me know! Thanks in advance!

BTW I need someone to explain this to me in the simplest way possible since I'm new to this!

2. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

What exactly are you asking?

Do you mean transpose?

3. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

No I mean transcribe like writing out the notation structure while listening to the song

4. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

Oooh, that's much more complex.

I'm a music major, and I still can't say I'm good at that.

I suppose at a very basic level, you need to be able to identify the intervals you're hearing. Musictheory.net has some exercises for that.

Sorry, I'm trying to be helpful here, hopefully someone more experienced will show up.

5. deacy

deacy Someone calling your name, driving you insane

It's not really something you can explain how to do, unfortunately. It's just a skill you develop overtime, I guess you could put it?

The way I do it is really slow and rudimentary, but it works: one instrument at a time, listening really closely, and trying to match the timing as closely as possible. This, of course, all depends entirely on how accurate of a transcription you need/want to do. Since I've done it a lot it's much easier now than it was in the past, but I still wouldn't call it a breeze.

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Well I want to remix classic 8 & 16-bit video game music so it does need to be as close as possible but I've never done this before so idk what I'm doing lol

7. deacy

deacy Someone calling your name, driving you insane

First, search around and see if there are any MIDIs of the songs you want to cover / arrange. 8-bit and 16-bit era VG music has an overabundance of MIDI versions made by people over the years, so there's a good chance the song(s) you're looking for have already been transcribed to near-accuracy.

That said, there are usually mistakes in most of these, so keep an eye on them.