Cafe Toon Zone: Rules and FAQ

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Maxie Zeus, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Shnay

Shnay Ne'er-Do-Well

I'd say that this is how things should work, but a lot of people seem to think differently. You're always going to have people who want to say "hi" before they start posting things, so you might as well consolodate it into one thread. And you're always going to have people starting birthday threads, so (I suggest) you might as well consolodate them too.

The "clutter" I mentioned usually isn't too bad, but once every few weeks it seems like the Cafe turns into a birthday bonanza.

Right now, if you don't like "coming or going" threads, you can just ignore the one at the top of the page, or check in on it when it's of interest to you. With the theoretical "birthday thread" you could do the same. The way I see it, it would simplify things a good deal.

2. True Noir

True Noir Active Member

You know, Mr Maune. Maybe to avoid this, you should make a forum for newbie introductions in the miscelaneous section and then make the post not count.

Sorry, my bad... that's sounds stupid.

3. the Amanda

the Amanda Rogue Alchemist

I've seen MB's where this is the case, and birthday wishes go in that forum too. Basically, it's a useless crap forum...

Shnay -- Yes, I think that your consolidated birthday thread is a good idea, since people won't just be satisfied with PM. Then people could ignore it more easily if they want.

4. guinaevere

guinaevere agent provocateur

Oh, I dunno.

Now that I remember to look at the bottom of the page on days when I'm on, I send PMs to folks who I feel compelled to send Birthday Greetings to. And for the most part, people are very appreciative of them.

FYI. We had a discussion about this in the Feedback & Suggestions forum, for any who care to read it.

5. the Amanda

the Amanda Rogue Alchemist

Well, then, you're not one of the people I talked about. :)

6. Shnay

Shnay Ne'er-Do-Well

Gah, I did search for this topic, but I guess I didn't search hard enough. Anyway, I really don't have a problem with the way these threads are handled now, I just thought a single thread might work better. But, since this has been brought up before, it seems like the cafe is going to keep the current rules, and that's fine. Thanks for hearing me out.

7. Pyro

Pyro Active Member

Is music supposed to be discussed on this board? I've noticed a lot of music threads recently, and while I think they are supposed to be on the Entertainment thread, I think they work better here. What does anyone else think.

8. Delthayre

Delthayre Retired

Just flow, like oil over a beautiful woman's...

I suppose that is unclear. I suppose we could consider threads about specific bands or events the province of the Entertainment Board and leave the more general remainder to the auspices of the Cafe.

9. Mavericker

Mavericker Active Member

Religion

Why is discussing religion against the rules? We can't say why we don't like certain cartoons or say they go against our beliefs?

10. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Flame wars almost always happen due to discussion of religion.

11. PC!

PC! lolwut?

So...are religious topics against the rules or not? Because this topic says they are, but the number of long-lasting religious topics on this board says otherwise.

Not that it bothers me or anything, I'm just curious.

12. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Technically they are still against the rules. However, every now and then it's worth a shot to let one go, as long as it's being carefully policed by Cafe mods. The ban was originally placed because religion is a very controversial topic and it's easy to degenerate into flamebait and the like. But threads like the "Have You Ever Changed Your Religious Beliefs" thread isn't a direct debate about religion, but more about personal experience. As long as people are respectful there is no reason it can't stay open. But a thread like "Why I Am/Hate X Religion" isn't going to fly.