Cafe Toon Zone: Rules and FAQ

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Maxie Zeus, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

The Cafe is Toon Zone's off-topic board. It's a nice little community where you can come to relax, shoot the breeze, and get to know your fellow TZers. The same rules apply here as apply in the rest of Toon Zone. But there are a few notes that we try to be clear about.

Here, then, is a Guide to Cafe Behavior

1. Language: If they say it on The Simpsons, you can say it here; if not, then you can't. The same thing applies to "filtered" words or alternate spellings: sh*t, *****hole, @*#$, and the word-filter "****" are not permitted.

2. Post-count threads: Post-count threads are not forbidden, but they are discouraged. We care about quality here, not quantity.

3. Meaningless posts: This is a message board, not a chat room. Do not post simply for the sake of posting. Do not make empty chatter.

4. Courtesy: Do not flame other posters. Treat your fellow board-mates with respect. Do not seek to inflame or aggravate them.

Those are the basics. More in-depth:

Controversial topics
    Technically, posting on controversial topics (like religion) is against Toon Zone rules. For the time being, political discussions have been banned from the Cafe. As far as other allowable topics, please observe the following guidelines:

1. Argue, don't bash. If you have a point to make, make it in a reasonable and reasoned manner. Remember, you ought to be trying to persuade your fellow posters, not intimidate them.

2. Be calm. Remember, the people you are arguing against are not evil; they merely have a different opinion. You must to treat that opinion with basic amount of respect if you are going to have any hope of getting them to change it.

3. Be substantive, not merely satirical. Politicians as politicians are a proper target for ridicule, and we here at Toon Zone make no brief for them. However, mocking a politician is not the same as arguing against his or her positions, and is a cheap substitute for them. Note also that mocking a politician is a good way to anger and inflame other posters who like, respect, or admire that politician. Remember, do not seek to inflame or aggravate your fellow posters.

The Opposite Sex
    An old topic, but a new a subject for the Cafe rules. Do not bash the other sex. Do not trivialize them by making crude and negative generalizations. Just because you have been treated badly by one member of the opposite sex does not mean that the entire sex is bad. Keep your complaints narrowly restricted to the particular people who have done you dirty.

It's unfortunate that we have to say this. Leaving aside the odd anatomical case, everyone here belongs to one sex or the other; insulting an entire sex is the same as insulting a vast swath of your fellow posters. Do not do this.

2. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

I think this should be made a permanent addition to the top of the board. The Guidelines are not phrased in the form of questions, but questions are welcome and can be asked in this thread. Based on those questions, we may append a genuine "FAQ" to it.

3. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

I think the "I'm leaving/I'm back" threads should be discouraged. Like the post count threads, the only purpose they serve involves inflating the ego of whoever posted them. They are especially intrusive to those of us who don't really care if someone isn't going to be around for a week or a day or whatever. As a bulletin board, it's understood that no one can be around to patrol exchanges all the time. This kind of announcement should be made to your friends personally and privately (like through Private Messages or AIM). Not on a public forum that we all have to share.

I can think of one exception, and that's the moderators. It's probably best if they make their hiatuses known, because they provide a service for the board, so we should know whether or not they are around.

-Terminatah

4. Watermelon

Watermelon UGOFF IS HUNGRY

Wait a minute...didn't we just have another 1 of these a little bit ago? With all the same stuff?? What's with the new 1???

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Telling it like it is

Yeah. But some people still insist on posting rude and uncalled for comments and threads. By Maxie putting it up again, MAYBE people will actually follow the rules this time.

6. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

Oops. Sorry for not making that clear. Thanks BY1!

Yeah, people were asking for a FAQ of some kind. So after talking it over with some of the other mods I basically just trimmed what I had before, added a few necessary bits, and then put it back up.

Erm, I wasn't really meaning to take public suggestions. Private suggestions are welcome, and are influential. But we're not keen on having a lot of argument about what new rules should be added. We like to have as few rules as possible around here, after all. Makes things a little freer and more fun. This thread is basically designed so that people can get guidance.

7. Outlander00

Outlander00 Another Stand Alone Complex

Okay... It may be because of the naiveness in me, but I have to ask.,.. Whats a post-count thread??

8. Watermelon

Watermelon UGOFF IS HUNGRY

A post-count thread is anything like "100th post". I am guilty of this.

9. Sandro

Sandro Senior Member

I second the notion on I'm leaving/I'm back threads.

10. Nightflower

Nightflower Floral Mod Extraordinaire

A post-count thread is basically a self-congratulatory thread about reaching a certain post count. "I've got 100 posts!" "I've reached my 500th post!" Something like that.

It seems harmless at the beginning, but when more people jump on the bandwagon, it's a pain in the neck, because it really clutters the board. It also encourages people to post more pointlessly or "fluffy", in attempts to reach a higher post, which we really don't want. A high post count isn't an important- it's what you put into your post that counts (Hmm... I sound like I'm saying "It's what's inside that counts :p")

11. Outlander00

Outlander00 Another Stand Alone Complex

And here I was tempted on doing so on my 100th :p

12. JetMaster5

JetMaster5 ditching the "wing"

You're not the only one Outlander00. I was also tempted when I reached 1000.

13. Pilmedium

Pilmedium Active Member

14. Atoon

Atoon Broken English

«hey, don’t let it go to waste»

Cafe lleva tilde en la e.

Café Toon Zone.

Ahí esta bien.
    :bosko:

15. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

No ego-stroking??? But my ego gets pissy if I don't give it some affection on a daily basis.

That's it. I'm leaving this Toonzone.

16. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

After a few seconds to calm down, I've chosen to forgive Toonzone and return. But don't think I won't leave again!

This is my 808th post.

17. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

i feel bad... i've used censored words in the past, and thus, seriously, i appoligize for it, i just didn't know...

18. Angel_Baby

Angel_Baby American Angel

what do you mean by bash? being ignorant is ok though? Right? because if not I can't write on this because I'm always ignorant :D

19. Rune

Rune off(world) model

Basically it means if you are disagreeing with someone's point of view try to explain yourself to put your own point across, put up some evidence for your case rather than just launching into the shallow negative.

example:

A says: Did you see the figure skating on TV last night?
    B says: No! I hate it. Its dumb. The people are stupid and ugly!

Here 'B' would be guilty of bashing because all he really contributed to the thread was a bunch of poorly expressed instant reaction' opinions, he should have said why he didn't like it in a little more detail or else maybe just left well alone.

Yeah, okay that was a lame example ... maybe I'd better just go :D

20. Nightflower

Nightflower Floral Mod Extraordinaire

Rune's right. It means if you have a different point of view, try to persuade other people in a reasonable and rational manner on why you think you're right. Basically, don't write things like "You're wrong, you suck!" and not offer any arguments to back up why you think the other person is wrong.