C&C The Venture Bros. - "What Color is Your Cleansuit?" [6/2]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Space Cadet, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Well, its finally back. After a three year hiatus(with some specials to tide us over), The Venture Bros. returns to TV. We're up to season 5 and tonight is the hour-long premiere at midnight. Watch and laugh.

Broadcast Order: Season 5, Episode 1
    Production Order: Season 5, Episode 9

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

FINALLY! The show is back!

It's hard to believe that the last season finale was in 2010.

Also, for those of you playing catch-up, here's a recap of the first four seasons in 8 minutes.

[video=youtube;6CHVLSY_Hrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHVLSY_Hrk[/video]

3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Let's mash it up!

So, when we last left the Ventures (before those two specials):

Dermott is Hank and Dean's half-brother,

Brock and Molotov are no longer a thing,

neither are Dean and Triana (not that they ever were, of course),

Henchman 21 is no longer called Henchman 21,

and Col. Gathers is now the new head of OSI.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

No posts? What the blurg? That was incredible.

5. Daikun

It only just finished airing on the East Coast, and the West Coast still has a couple of hours to wait.

Be patient, k?

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Okay here's an odd thing but did anyone think that the one student who was king of the mutant four arms for awhile sounded a lot like Dante Brisco? I mean he was voiced by Aziz Ansari (and a lot better job he did here then in say Epic) but it sounded a lot like Dante. Then again I think Dante and Aziz on some roles sound the same so yeah maybe that's me more noticing that then anything conclusive about the episode which yeah was really good. Not much to say besides I really like how it was a pick up right from "Operation Prom" and still had ties to the Halloween special. The fact that Billy actually does have his own arch nemesis (who I think was last really seen in "The Invisible Hand Of Fate" though was I think introduced in "Tag Sale You're It" but this one gives us his personality), Dean actually winning the king challenge and being fine with the global takeover since he got to make out with a girl, 21 actually becoming Sphinx Commander and living on the compund instead of going with everyone else there on OSI (also glad that's not an excuse just to have him back with the Monarch), and Doc's mutant team actually completing the shielding in time. Really the only thing lacking here were too many obvious Soylvent Green references and I think I would of liked Doc to at least try being a little bit more competent but otherwise yeah really stellar premiere ep and hope the rest of the eps are of this quality. Doubt the rest will be an hour long but after so long since a regular episode it felt right especially having watched P.R.O.M again recently.

7. shany94a

shany94a Malfunctioning Unit

Glad the show is finally back - and it was hilarious. The "Rocky" scenario with the Monarch really cracked me up. Doc Venture hasn't changed, although I do hope this new girl won't be written out of the series after just one showing. Hopefully she sticks with Dean, and one day runs into Triana ... Sgt Hatred should have had reduction surgery by then.

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

That Rusty sure is a piece of work. Only he could take what seemed like a simple enough super-scientist gig and let it turn into Doomsday. It's always great when the show is back on the air.

9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

This was an amazing comeback for the show and it felt like we've never left. If anything, the series felt even stronger in the opener than it had previously been with that amazing previous season finale. I love how we actually get progress and development with the characters. Hank and Dean are growing as individuals and #21/Gary is becoming his own person moreso than he was last season. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the rest of the season and will look forward to every Sunday for the next few weeks.

Also, I don't even watch it, but I loved the Game of THrones jokes. I know enough about the show for it to make me laugh, but also the fact that it was riding off that specific episode made it even funnier.

10. Neo Yi

Neo Yi :D

Oh my God, Venture Bros, how did you ever manage to top yourself with all your wacky hi-jinxes? By creating dozens of mutant students who later form their own society, apparently. Great job Rusty, way to not care at all.

It was a fun opener. I love how Hank and Dean are growing up and becoming their own person moreso. I love 21 is trying to move on and of course, I do so love The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend (Or Mrs. The Monarch.) Their romance has always been one of the funniest, but compelling aspects of the series. Man, I missed this show.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I always heard great things about Venture Bros., but never really got into the show. This season preimiere episode was a a lot of fun.
    One notable thing that stuck out for me was when The Monarch started quoting The Incredible Hulk 60's theme song. That kind of cartoon reference cracks me up.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

You did see all the episodes beforehand, right? I made the mistake of watching my first episode in the middle -- Billy Quizboy's backstory. I had no idea what was going on. Later on I rented all the DVDs and saw it in order. This kind of show only makes sense in one direction...

13. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

I was hoping that after seeing how successful Jonas Jr. has become it would motivate Rusty to up his game, but sadly it hasn't. Rusty still has the same procrastinating, apathetic, and "throw things together and hope they work" approach he's always had.
    He even sold HELPeR. That's just low.

I don't really care much for Dean-centric episodes and this one didn't really do much for me.

Interesting points of the episode were The Morarch missing 21, and Billy's rival buying his way into The Guild of Calamitous Intent.

Kind of sad that after Gary joined SPHINX they all decide to leave him.
    Was also sad that Hatred and Princess Tinyfeet did not get back together.

With Young Justice gone, this is the only continuity-heavy series I have left to watch that's not an anime.
    It was nice to see things pick up right where they left off last season.
    Not too surprising that Molotov and Monstroso are still alive. I hope we'll see them again.

There was a severe lack of Dr. Orpheus in this episode. He's usually there to act as Rusty's conscience or at least nag him when things go wrong.

14. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

damn, this episode just reminded me of why I love this show so much

15. Daikun

Well, there you go! No conscience = No improvement.

16. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Let's mash it up!

Thoughts on this episode, now that people have responded.

Dean has an attic room, and he wants it painted black. No colors anymore, he wants it to be black.

Poor Gary. Last hired, first fired.

It's the guy peeking through Sarah Michelle Gellar nudie mags from "Tag Sale--You're It".
    And he's a Guild member now. As Billy's archenemy.

Sorry, Jackson, I don't have HBO. I've never seen Game of Thrones. The midgets as Mickey and Clubber Lang were still funny, though.

The first pair of naked breasts ever shown on Adult Swim and they just HAVE to be Sgt. Hatred's.

Is that a TARDIS?

EAT THE PENNIES ALREADY!!!

Doc sold H.E.L.P.eR.? Dude, that is ice cold.

I hope we see more of Thalia.