C&C - Summer Wars [12/6]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

[​IMG]

Toonami's 2014 Month of Movies begins with the critically acclaimed Summer Wars as part of a double feature!

The movie takes place in the real world and the virtual interpretation of the Internet known as OZ, where a group of computer-obsessed kids accidentally unleash an evil virus AI which threatens to destroy both worlds using a nuclear disaster.

You know, that sounds familiar... Eh, it's probably nothing.

Enjoy the movie tonight at 1.0AM. Only Toonami.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Ah, I really like this movie.

And not just because I'm a Digimon fan. It's just really good, and dat animation.

With that said, I'm surprised it's getting a TV-14. The MPAA rated it PG.

3. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I don't care if this movie apparently has similarities to Digimon The Movie. I love it. And its themes will only get more relevant with each passing year.

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Before anyone says anything about it during the movie: yes, that's Dean Venture (Michael Sinterniklaas) as the main male lead.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Tonight on Yasujiro Ozu's Digimon Adventure...

6. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

I guess because of an uncensored s-word.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I remember seeing the dub before. I really enjoy this movie. More than Akira in fact.
    The animation's not as good, but I like the story and characters more.
    The fact that's it's similar to Digimon: Children's War Game makes it even better!

8. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Active Member

Okay, a little background info for the uninitiated.

The film we have the pleasure of the viewing tonight was directed by one Mamoru Hosoda. A promising artist who seems to gain more recognition by the year, his directorial credits include the first two Digimon movies (or, for us Americans, the first two segments of the Digimon movie), the 6th One Piece movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, was a pseudo-sequel/adaptation of the Japanese novel of the same name, and, most recently, Wolf Children. His other miscellaneous credits include episode 21 of Digimon (remember that episode where Tai goes back to the real world and we see Kari for the first time, and how the animation style looked really different? Well, now you know), episode 199 of One Piece, and the opening for Samurai Champloo.

So that brings us to today's feature, Summer Wars. Hosoda's fifth feature film and the first that's a totally original story (well, more or less). To those of you who have seen the second Digimon film, Our War Game, or the second segment of the Digimon Movie, you may notice that tonight's movie shares some pretty key similarities to it, plot-wise. Now, I don't have any official statement or interview of Hosoda stating that Summers Wars was deliberately inspired by Our War Game, but the parallels are pretty obvious.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil too much for those who haven't seen it, but rest assured that, regardless of inspiration or similarities with the Digimon film, you're in for quite a treat. Hope you all enjoy.

9. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Well after last week's blood fist, a nice change of pace movie. This can not be any more opposite of Akira.

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

11. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Okay, there are definitely similarly-done shots and scenes, as plainly evident from those screen comparisons, but I think calling it a shot-for-shot remake is a bit much. We're not talking about Gus Van Sant's Psycho here.

Some comments in that link that are food for thought:

12. Gold Guy

I don't think it really matters anyway. A lot of anime fans here on the TZ forums actually seem to like Digimon (me included), so it's just a cute little bonus anyway.

13. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

They should air Digimon Our War Game Begin or whatever it is called, most people think it is the best Digimon movie ever, though really not saying much, movies were not Digimon strenghs.

14. Gold Guy

I like the film, but I'm not sure the English dub version would be a good fit for Adult Swim Toonami.

15. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Active Member

The English dub isn't a good fit for anything.

Also, did you know Disney recycles its animation?

16. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

Ya know, I sincerely wish people would learn to somehow get past the little things like whether plot points or scenes are recycled from one movie to another and instead focus more on the bigger picture being the thematic points in the visual stories that are being compared. I guarantee you that the thematic points between the story in Summer Wars and Our War Game despite their aesthetics are just not the same. In fact, as much as I and other people like that film/segment, it doesn't even have a thematic point. It's not any different than a Shonen film in that sense.

Also, here's one straight-up obvious edge Summer Wars has, it was first released in 2009. By that point, the internet and computer technology had already progressed to being far more capable and accessible than before. In the year 2000, if you fought a virus on the internet and unless your wiz kid of a friend came out of the bathroom to help you after drinking one-too-many of your mom's crappy drinks, if the following happened:

.... WELL YOU'RE JUST PLAIN F****D!!

Yeah, Summer Wars had it's own technical difficulties, but a computer wouldn't straight-up crash on you if you anxiously slapped it.

17. animePWNS

animePWNS 1959-2015

Looks like Chain Chomp was having so much fun here, he forgot to report for Super Mario 3D World.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

That's not the same as Summer Wars recycling a PLOT.

Not that I'm the least bit upset. I love both movies. One thing Summer Wars has over OWG is a strong emphasis on family. In fact the family scenes are amongst my favorite parts of the movie more so than any of the computer action scenes.

And despite what anyone says I love both the dub and the sub of OWG almost equally. The dub for the gags and the music that plays when Omnimon evolves (I always liked the dub's soundtrack), and the original for Butterfly, the brief snip of Bolero, and the general cinematic aesthetic.

19. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Damn you people start early.

20. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Let's mash it up!

YAY!! I can finally see a movie I've heard good things about but never get to see!

I've seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. The movie that's actually a sequel of the book it's based on.