C&C - Sand Whale and Me [3/18-4/15]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Mar 18, 2017.

1. animePWNS

animePWNS Odyssey, ya see!

The finale's next week, and it looks like they're playing Gun Gale now.

2. animePWNS

animePWNS Odyssey, ya see!

So Green Peace is whale barf? Huh...

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

That guy sure was half of himself.

4. Grenzer

Grenzer This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style

So it was an overly long joke about cannibalism, charming. That's what, the third show to deal with that on Toonami in the past three weeks?

5. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

I'm sorry, that was five weeks of trash. It may have only been 25 minutes, but it was boring at best, frustrating at worst (and what the hell was up with that ending?). Next time Toonami helps fund a micro-series, maybe they should make sure they're funding something that can keep the audience's attention.

Fourth if you count the zombie who ate Joseph's dad in JoJo last week. And we're pretty much getting another cannibalism show starting next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Well, that was a waste of five weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The first segment already felt like a waste of time and the ending itself was just awful. What was even the point of this? The entire micro series already felt like it existed only because of the director's work on Ghost in the Shell. I doubt that this would have been made if someone who wasn't firmly established was involved with the production. It was fortunately only twenty-five minutes, but it still felt like a complete waste of time. There have been plenty of times where I don't like shows Toonami has picked up, but this is one of the few times where I feel like they wasted perfectly good money on complete garbage. If they go for another micro series, which hopefully won't happen anytime soon, they'll hopefully fund something that is actually engaging or interesting. I basically tuned out after the second segment since nothing seemed to actually happen.

8. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Do we have a contended for worst Toonami show of all time? Something worse than Wulin Warriors? Toonami should probably stay away from live action (okay I didn't mind Tim Burton's Batman or Raimi's Spider-Man on the block, but otherwise live-action on Toonami has lead to disaster.)

9. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

No doubt about it. This is the worst case of recycling footage I've ever seen. Cut out all the times the girl walks through the desert and eats a can of peas. It's not even worthy of 25 minutes.

I really hope Toonami doesn't air this again. I'm willing to bet they probably will, though, if only to fill up time when Daylight Saving comes up. It would be nice if they aired something else instead.

Personally, I'd love to try an editing experiment to see how much footage there really is in this thing without all the added filler.

10. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I think the recycled footage was done to emulate a video game and getting a million different game overs. Still watching your bestie play World of Warcraft would be more fun than this.

11. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize KFC ate her companion at the end. That's rather depressing. I feel like this miniseries would be better off with its episodes stitched together and the padding replaced (though, as PicardMan said, the padding was done to emulate the repeated motions of a video game).

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I assumed that she finally ate the whale, but I admittedly was barely paying attention at this point. I can see how the padding was supposed to be like a video game. That makes sense, but it doesn't work for a weekly mini series, especially when it just feels like there's barely anything accomplished among the new footage. Not to mention it's more fun to watch someone else playing a game or just playing a video game yourself than watching this show.

I don't know if I'd call this the worst Toonami show of all time, if only because of shows like Sword Art Online and Akama ga Kill, but it's certainly up there at least. It was a huge waste of time despite only being less than a half hour in total.

13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I found more entertainment from Akame ga Kill and Sword Art Online for their camp value. Wulin Warriors would get my vote if I didn't roll over laughing every minute it aired.

14. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Decided to spoil it by reading comments here. I haven't watched four or five yet and eh, don't want to. A lot of comments summed up my opinion just having seen the first three.

15. Lamel2g

Lamel2g Member

Glad this garbage is ending, bad enough that it's wasting time on the block, but it ruined a bunch of shows for me by messing up the start/end times forcing me to miss the ending of a couple of shows.

16. Anime-Spoiler

Anime-Spoiler New Member

Akame ga kill is my favorite anime! I don't even see how it's compared to sand whale and me, it's the first anime that peaked my interest and rekindled my passion for it.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's fine that you liked the series, but I just absolutely hated Akame ga kill. Even with just watching the first episode, I could tell that this series was not for me and it was just awful. Sand Whale and Me is much more boring and pointless by comparison, but I don't think I'd consider it overall worse than some of Toonami's other shows. It would still be up there though.

18. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

The main female character in this show reminded me of Iria from the live-action Zeiram film (1991).