1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCVII" [4/22]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Apr 22, 2017.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

But in the UK, they have to censor headbutts ;) .

2. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I've only heard of headbutts getting cut for theater releases when a distributor wants a lower age rating. The home video versions often leave them in.

#122 SpaceCowboy, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

That was in the 90's. Now their censor red flag is self-harm (which is why there's no uncut home video release of American Horror Story in the UK) and inconsistently naked anime girls (cuts for Battle Girls: Time Paradox, Code Geass...yet DxD made it through uncut).

4. TheVileOne

Reporter

They were still censoring head butts in 00s, I know this for a fact :)

5. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

That was my only complaint about this episode. Other then that pointless and tasteless scene and line of dialogue (which was clearly done SOLELY because they were trying to hammer home the fact that this season is not aimed solely at kids), I liked the episode.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheVileOne

Reporter

I'm fine with the show having a TV-14 rating and being a little edgier and more risque. But that joke was just too far on the other side of crude for me.

I always generally saw Jack as a more high-brow show. And yeah, it was amusing how they would always have to figure out creative ways around the violence with the robots, and this show doesn't have to worry about that. But did we really need to hear someone actually say it?

IMHO Jack was never that type of show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

Sounds like something Sammy Davis Bot Jr. might say to me.

I don't view the "language" as pointless at all (tasteless is very subjective). Here we have a talking robot head judging someone else as being a freak after getting their help, and establishing that he is quick to mouth off with insults due to his own inflated ego (we knew he was full of himself in episode 1 but this was restated in the scene where he thinks he is Aku's #1 assassin to get on the ship). This now established character trait gets him in big trouble later on. So it even makes sense from a story perspective.

I take back what I said earlier, maybe Red Arrow had a point after all?

#127 ToonLoon, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Overall this one was a great episode that was like a clip show but at least they had more better moments by having Ashi play them out and learn of Jack's past. I was impressed with most of the more mature jokes they had here and some of the references they threw in as well. Jack might have been near his end but thankfully Ashi has come from far lengths and has helped Jack to keep from his darker mind.

9. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I always imagined Americans to be very tough and not as uptight as the British. (hence all the violent & erotic movies and series) And I didn't even know you should avoid the word penis. So all these comments were very surprising for me.

I didn't want to offend anyone.

@ShadowBeast: I think that mysterious girl once told Jack the same thing. ("Follow the path north.")

10. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Yeah, not really. In this day and age, people get offended by almost anything, even the harmless stuff. This is especially true for the USA with the whole Political Correctness nonsense.

I get the feeling she's someone we've seen in the show before. We just have four episodes to find out.

11. carebearstalker2

carebearstalker2 New Member

Well it is on adult swim now and the creator can finally show what he wants without being censored by CN.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

12. TheVileOne

Reporter

Just so everyone knows, I wasn't offended by the joke. Just didn't care for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Back on topic..
    The whole transformation scene with Ashi came off to me as rather weird. In the flashback, she's thrown on hot coals. Somehow she survives. Cut to the present and she can rub off her burns with soap as if it was body paint. She presumably hasn't bathed in god knows how long. What?

#133 SpaceCowboy, Apr 24, 2017
  14. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Well, coal makes you black whether it's hot or not. I don't think it is possible to live with black wounds. It is safe to assume that Ashi would look completely red (not black) if she had washed herself right after the ritual.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I hope the Daughters only had to do it once. I assume there was some kind of ritual to maintain the black skin.

EDIT: I never thought of how much it must have heard to have dirty coal in your wounds :sweat: That mother just keeps getting worse! xD

15. TheVileOne

Reporter

I wouldn't overthink it. I had those thoughts too. Maybe it wasn't actually black coal but a different substance. Keep in mind we are centuries into the future here. I think it's more about the visual image than what it would realistically do to the body.

16. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Also this the same show where all mythological gods are real, people can deflect bullets and jump like cockroaches through training, wizards can turn people into chickens and a woman giving birth to septapletes like it was nothing

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a very fun episode. No one who watched the first seasons can't say they didn't feel nostalgic seeing some of the old characters again.

While I thought Ashi's turn to good was rushed last time, I changed my mind here. Anyone seeing Jack's influence would be moved, I think.

Robot dude still being alive is OK with me (he's a fun character), I just wonder how he'll fit in later.

Like most other people, I just wish we got more of an explanation for that ghost that was tormenting Jack.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

The way I view the ghostly samurai apparition was that Jack unknowingly summoned him because of how tortured he is about failing in his mission for half a century.

The apparition calls forth any such warrior living in shame to follow him and end their life. They linger on as shadows in this world instead of going to the afterlife, which is only open to those who have found something resembling inner peace or glory in combat.

#138 ToonLoon, Apr 24, 2017
  19. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

His survival will probably be for comedy reasons, like by the time he tells Aku about Jack losing his sword Jack have already reclaimed it.

20. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Most of us complaining about the use of that word in this show (and that whole scene overall) DON'T have a problem with that word being used. However, we do have a problem with that word being used in a cartoon that was once aimed at kids and all ages.

As for that mysterious woman, my theory is that it iseither Jack's mother or the ghost of his mother.

• Agree Agree x 1