1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCVII" [4/22]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I'm not questioning why they were picked in the sense of "why were these characters lives impacted by Jack" because they obviously were. I'm questioning why of all the characters to bring back from the previous seasons, why the Ravers when there seemed like there were so many other picks? I mean when people think of the Ravers episode they mostly just think of Jack in that ridiculous get up, not the Ravers themselves. People remember the Woolies as a group and the archers plight and they were prime serious examples of Jack heroism that are among the either most important or remembered episodes of the series. Not so much the Rave episode.

Da Samurai was also one of the least liked and hated characters of the entire show. Most people felt the ending of that episode didn't redeem the character and he seems like one of those people would not of ever wanted to see again. I guess he could of been picked again to show for that reason as sort of a troll return but they still spend a fair amount of time on him for that.

Maybe if they were normal dogs but these were anthropamorhic talking dogs that you could of easily said had an extended life span or found some sort of eternal age elixur in their history or had an ancestor. Jack helping them against those giant metal beetles is considered the first true battle and act against Aku Jack committs in the future and where his legend truly beings to spread. If there is anyone you want to start with by showing hope and how much good Jack has done, it'd be him.

Well at least the Thief is more memorable and remembered as a character then the Ravers. Same with the gangsters honestly. Plus you could of at least had a quick cameo of the thief in the bar mentioning Jack quickly before stealing something and leaving. I guess Demongo is more remembered to make a quick cameo but eh honestly would of made more sense to have him appear then Demongo thinking about it.

Clearly someone doesn't know about the amazing rare phenomenon of "baby memories" :):) I kind of kid but the whole ending of that epsiode was suppose to imply the kid was forever changed by the time he spent with Jack and how he inherited the will of the Samurai.

I admit it's not the most loved episode (though again Jack and the Rave isn't either) but I'm talking about characters it would make more sense for Ashi to run into who would of impacted Jack's life then some of the ones we got. Plus a lot of the backlash for that episode was ONLY because it was an unintended finale. The second more Jack was announced no on had as much a problem with that epiosde and having a book end with what we know of the start of Jack's quest as well as what we know of it ended would of been a great way bring things full circle.

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Reading all these comments makes it obvous Americans are secretly still British inside xD

I liked this episode and I am glad Jack isn't depressed anymore. Not much else to say, though. I hope Scaramouth dies because I can't understand him well :D
    i think the next episodes will be even more like that now Jack isn't depressed anymore :)

3. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

You know I'm hoping Demongo will bring something big by the finale. I'm hoping that by the final battle he teams up with the High-Priestess to bring back Ashi's sisters and everyone and everything else that was destroyed or killed by Jack in a "Exit 9-B" type situation.

4. Gatordragon

Gatordragon You are a pebble against a mountain!

In more ways than one. :p

5. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

kinda my point

I personally think that exactly this would make it work

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this episode was a lot of fun. It was cool seeing all those characters from the original show returning and seeing how Jack saved or changed their lives. It was pretty emotional at times but it also turned funny when Da Samurai appeared. Plus, Scaramouche's side-plot, the random appearance of Demongo was pretty hilarious and those unexpected cameos from Astro and Popeye of all characters.

Ahsi's new look is pretty nice and I liked how she saved Jack in the end of the episode. I'm not sure exactly what the deal with that Horseman is, I also figured it was one of Jack's visions before all this but it seems like he was real. I wonder if they'll ever explain more about that. It just seems like a pretty disappointing ending to something they built-up so well in the last episodes. But I didn't bother me that much though, and I overall enjoyed the episode.

7. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

XCVII was pretty awesome/enjoyable,

Ashi searching for Jack and meeting all of his friends was great, her character development/coming out of her shell like Peridot's was amazing.

Cool seeing the dog miners, the Woolies, the Three Blind Archers, Olivia and the Ravers, and Da Samurai, since Jack saved/changed their lives:D, I'm sad the gangsters, the green scientist, the Hunters, the Big Blue Guardian, the Thief, and the blue teddybear creature didn't return.

Cool seeing the Chritchellites and loving their satisfying defeats, hehehe.

Love Ashi's awesome hot cute new look.

Cool to see Demongo, my top favorite of Aku's minions, his random unexpected return was funny, hahahahaha:p.

Cool seeing Scaramouch, I'm glad he's alive, just his head, hehehe, he was awesome/funny, his side-plot wanting to inform Aku that Jack has lost his sword was funny:D, cool that Aku's assassin gets a major role in Season 5.

Love the awesome cameos of Robot Popeye/Astro after Quick Draw Mc.Graw/Bubba's.

Poor Jack about to commit suicide and the fallen samurai spirits were interesting.

The samurai specter, my favorite great new interesting mysterious antagonist, he has a sweet design.

Ashi saving Jack and telling him all the good deeds he's done was amazing:D.

Samurai Jack vs. the samurai specter along with Jack defeating it was sweet.

I'm glad Jack is not depressed anymore while wanting to find his sword was sweet while Ashi, an awesome new ally.

The profanity really surprised me, wooooooow, that's why it's on Adult Swim.

#107 Radical, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I wasn't too keen on this episode. I'm fine with Ashi and all, but I didn't need another episode from her point of view. After last week's episode, I really needed to see what that dark samurai figure was all about.

Scaramoush having plot armor was a little weak IMHO. I mean that fight was way at the beginning of the season. So to just find out he was still alive now was a bit of bad pacing. And I dunno, I don't think I really needed to hear a character in Samurai Jack saying someone's head looked like genitalia. That was kind of crude, even for Samurai Jack.

Not what I would call a BAD episode, but definitely one of the weaker episodes for this new season/miniseries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

And Britons are still secretly Europeans.

#109 SpaceCowboy, Apr 23, 2017
  10. TheVileOne

Reporter

Keegan Michael Key voices Da Samurai in this episode. He was originally played by David Alan Grier.

11. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Six episodes down. Four more to go.

12. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I loved how Ashi's travels lead her to the stories of Jack's deeds. I was surprised at both Scaramouch being alive and Ashi's clothing being burnt skin. Has anyone tried looking at past SJ characters to see the possible identity of the girl who told Ashi where she can find jack? Now for the spirit, I had always thought of that mysterious horseman to be the possible future of Jack like in the episode where he fought the Guardian.

Well she did let go of her hate towards Jack. So of course she's gonna sound calmer now.

Yeah that was the only thing that bothered me with this episode. I know the rating has been changed, but it's still Samurai Jack.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was really good. I liked that we got more focus on Ashi. While she had already realized the truth about Aku from the previous episode, I think hearing about what else Jack has done was necessary for her development too. Jack wouldn't talk about all of the times he's saved innocent people. Even if he wasn't struggling with PTSD and depression, he isn't really the kind of person to talk about himself like that. Getting more stories about Samurai Jack from other characters' points of view gave her a better understanding of Jack, how important he is and why his struggle hasn't been in vain, which was especially important near the end. Plus, it was nice to see her coming out of her shell more, particularly with joining in the rave dance party.

Scaramouche's side plot was kind of funny, even though I don't know how he could have survived the battle. His line about the other characters' design made me laugh, but I think it was mainly due to the shock value. It came out of nowhere and I didn't expect them to actually say it. It seemed a bit unnecessary. At least the added violence generally fits with the tone they're going for with this season, but talking about a character looking like genitalia seemed too jarring for the show, even in the comedic side plot of the episode. The Astro Easter Egg was kind of cool, along with the robotic Popeye. I remember at least a couple of the episodes they were referencing during the episode too.

I was not expecting them to show naked children being thrown into what looked like lava in order to cover them in darkness or that Ashi was naked this whole time. I just assumed that they were wearing skin tight black body suits this whole time. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't be given clothes so that it wouldn't affect them during battle, but that was really strange. The flashback itself was quite horrifying since they didn't look any older than five when that happened. I was wondering when Ashi would get a different outfit anyway and I liked it. It showed much more of her personality than her original outfit did, which I imagine was the point.

I had a feeling that the samurai ghost was trying to convince Jack to kill himself. I liked how Ashi was trying to reach out to him even through all of the fighting. It showed her how much she changed quite nicely. Even though hearing how much he had changed the lives of others, including her own, probably helped, the fact that he didn't fail to save those children allowed Jack to fight back made sense. Hearing that he didn't fail would potentially help him more than hearing what good he has done, especially when thinking that the children were dead was the last straw for Jack. I liked his reaction to Ashi's new look too. I don't think Jack is instantly cured of his emotional problems, mainly because stuff like PTSD and depression aren't known for being instantly fixed so easily, but I think he gained enough strength to fight back for now and to go find his sword.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. Ashi's development was quite nice, hearing how Jack helped other people as callbacks to the earlier seasons was nice and I did like seeing Ashi reach out to Jack. I would have preferred the confrontation with the ghost samurai to last a bit longer though, especially when it wasn't too clear what it really was. I assume that it was a manifestation of Jack's guilt and desire to kill himself, but I thought that was also the case with the other Jack he talks to. I guess the main difference between them is that Ashi could see the ghost samurai, but not the other Jack. I actually thought that the next episode would be more devoted to that and this one would end on a cliffhanger with Ashi finding Jack just before committing suicide. I think it generally worked for what the episode was about, but more explanation on the ghost samurai would have been nice. It was still a pretty solid episode though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I think they want the ghost samurai to stay a mystery.

Also, I can imagine depression is a lot easier to handle with if you've got friends around you, like Ashi and the Scotsman.

15. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

Like I've said before, since we've got past characters showing up (and quite possibly more) it would be nice if they somehow brought back past VILLAINS back to life just in time for the finale. What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Huh?

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheVileOne

Reporter

Please elaborate.

18. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

If I had to guess, Red Arrow is saying we are all sexually repressed and uptight because he thinks we are shocked by the naughty language and Ashi being naked the whole time.

When my impression of the comments were that people were surprised that THIS show in particular would go for the ******** joke, that's what made it so funny. We all thought it would go uncommented on.

As for Ashi, people commenting on her bath excitedly doesn't scream Victorian sensibilities to me. Pretty much what you would expect from us horndog Americans. :wolfie:

#118 ToonLoon, Apr 23, 2017
  19. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

I'm just cracking jokes about how we're watching a TV-14 season of what was originally a TV-Y7 show.

20. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

As an American who's visited the UK in the past, I got the impression their TV standards are more lax when it comes to that type of content. It's just not a big deal over there, as long as it's after a certain hour.

#120 SpaceCowboy, Apr 23, 2017