1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCVI" [4/15]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Roll credits! (literally)

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Nice title drop.

3. animePWNS

animePWNS It's here!

Next week: Hey, those wooly guys are back!

4. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

Hey, the Woolies are back next week.

5. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Next Time: Ashi's very own episode!

6. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I don't know I think they turned Ashi too soon, but that is the down side of an 10 episode story, you got to move things, ideally they should have streched that out a few episode.

Well this was the darkest episode so far of the season, dam what that guy did to those kids and Jack thought they died. And this time Ashi abusive upbringing comes in handy, because that is why she was able to withstand that torture.

So than it's time, what does that mean, we will see?

7. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

I thought this was a good episode. I was shocked to see the Scotsman get killed, and then surprised to see him rise as a ghost. And I do wonder where Jack was going at the end.

8. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

R.I.P.?
    THE SCOTSMAN

"He had a gun for a leg and he was cool"​

9. Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster Active Member

Aw man, if only Jack stayed for JUST a few seconds to see the blue fuzzies were okay he wouldn't go off with Samurai Grim Reaper.

Also-OF COURSE-Scotsman would come back after a death as silly as that, his 100s of daughters need a father...damn did he get busy.

10. Master Knight DH

There's 5 episodes left. And I think C will be the final battle in the present time and then CI will be an epilogue. Wonder what Continuity Nods they'd fit into 3 or 4 episodes.

11. ZeroKelvin

ZeroKelvin One poppin' pariffero

Scotsman's triumphant return... and he gets killed. Good thing that sword's magic.

Ashi's finally learning the truth about Aku's tyranny, I hope (since this is the halfway point) that eventually she confronts her mother and gets payback for all the abusive training.

Next episode, Where in the World Is C̶a̶r̶m̶e̶n̶ ̶S̶a̶n̶d̶i̶e̶g̶o̶ Samurai Jack?

12. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Part of me wonders if the second act of this episode wasn't rushed. Since honestly you could of stretched Ashi's switch as well as Jack being taken to another episode but then again for once they are not only on a time budget but have an actual ending in mind. And that said it's not like they were bad ideas. Honestly the whole point of Ashi seeing the truth was that she was pretty much fed lies and hatred all of her life and being told over and over again that Aku is the master and the true goodness in the world but never had any context or truth. So Jack actually went and got her some and really kind of hard to argue that especially if you don't what your place is. Honestly if they didn't have to put the stuff with the Scotsman at the beginning (which is likely going to play down the line) I think a few more minutes showing around the world and other cities would of been enough for me. Also though I get the ending of Jack feeling he has not only failed and this time allowed many children to die thus why he is ready to meet his fate, felt kind of soon to do this as he and Ashi just started traveling together. I mean the fact she's been around him for... two episodes honestly is more then any other can say but still feels like we should had a between episode with this to get to the ending. Honestly maybe this should of been more a 13 episode season to get to that point but I get having to hit the essentials and so long as they are hit well and the product is still sturdy some of these progression flaws can be forgiven.

Since again those are my major complaints as the rest of this was solid. Again the Scotsman stuff I'm sure will tie in more later and I do like showing this gigantic army and though playing it off fairly silly with those elephants and the daughters who Scotsman wants to dress less scantily clad the actual attack and assault was impressive... granted doesn't do much against Aku's pure darkness but it's still an impressive attempt. And I really like how the Scotsman nailed down Aku hiding like a coward and how people are still inspired by the Samurai and telling it off to Aku's face (I admit if there is any character who now that they can swear probably should it's the Scotsman as he is the major insulter of this series but eh maybe the playful charm of the character wouldn't work if he did) and then that WHAM moment of Aku just vaporizing him. I admit I was spoiled somewhat that the Scotsman would die but actually seeing it and then the skeleton was "... well damn" moment. I do like him having a spirit still thanks to his sword. Remember that yeah his Celetic blade was able to go against Jack so even if it's magic isn't a match for Aku I am glad that it will serve a point and have a reason to see the younger Scotsman in this war torn future so even if he's dead he'll still have a role to play.

And though kind of rushed I am glad that we at least had an episode to have the transition for Ashi being on the hero's side as well as her wanting proof and clarify of what was told due to being confused on Jack constantly sparring her and of things around that don't make sense. And I admit I do like their bonding like her demanding being told the truth after he went through saying her entire life was a lie or being happy hearing the story about the stars or being confused at his disguise in the city and after finding the truth wanting to do something about it. Honestly as much as Ashi needed Jack to change I think it's kind of clear that this new blood is also needed to get Jack's mojo going again as well. Since again due to not having the sword Jack though not totally giving up is done fighting Aku but I guess still can't get over helping the innocent. And honestly I'm glad that it was Ashi who broke through and defeated that Dominator over those tree children and whooped him when he reminded her of her own trauma and came through at the end and saved the day. Again showing her worth in this cause as well. It would of felt weak to have Jack save her from this so I am so glad we didn't get that and honestly I just love the "character has reached their maximum limit and breaks through bad guy's clutches to severly whoop them" cliche as shown here. And again based on the previews looks like we'll be focusing on Ashi looking for Jack... well then again the previews were all about the Scotsman's war last time and that was what 5 minutes of this so hard to say how this will progress.

But yeah still a good episode. Kind of rushed a couple of character and plot arcs to get to the ending of Ashi searching for Jack whose wandered off with I guess his grim reaper spirit but still good stuff. One thing I hope is that based on the preview and of the beginning we have this epic meet up of all the people Jack's helped who are still alive and their forces with Jack finally finding his sword to have one last charge to destroy Aku. Don't know if that will happen but again what I'm wishing to.

13. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Definitely the weakest episode so far, not bad by any means but it felt very rushed and I could't find any scenes I truely liked with the exception of the scotsman parts

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DBTrilogy100

DBTrilogy100 Member

The first half of Season 5 ends with the return of one of the few characters to have a recurring role in the first four seasons...the Scotsman. Besides being an old man now, we find out that he and his wife have had many daughters during the time skip and his daughters are helping him fight the good fight against Aku. Although Aku kills the Scotsman, his dying words are taunting Aku and that is true to the Scotsman's character. The Scotsman's death doesn't hinder him at all as he is now a ghost in the form of the age he was in the first four seasons, citing "Celtic magic" as the reason when his daughters ask how this is possible.

The majority of the episode is dedicated to Jack showing Ashi the truth about Aku after she insists on seeing proof. This eventually leads to the duo having to rescue a village of blue, furry children who are being brainwashed to work in a factory. Although the duo eventually succeed, Jack mistakenly believes the children have dead and he goes with the mysterious horseman we've been seeing throughout the season, who tells Jack "it is time".

Overall, I was glad to see the Scotsman return and I am also glad that being dead won't stop him from appearing in the second half of the season. I can understand how Asti's change of heart might have felt fast but at the same time, I also understand that they have only 5 more episodes to finish the series so I felt they made the best they could with the limitations they had. I am hoping we will learn the true identity of the horseman soon and I look forward to the second half of the season.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I only felt the pacing was really bad when Jack decided to go with the Horseman. Felt really rushed.
    The beginning with the Scottsman vs Aku was awesome. And I like that Ashi is becoming good, if it seems like that's happening pretty fast too (though we all know she was going to be a good guy since her first episode). I look forward to seeing more of her in the next episode.
    I need to see the preview again, someone spotted Zorak in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Ouch... that line where the plumber robot says it's so easy to manipulate children. You could feel Ashi's anger.

I thought this episode was amazing and I am glad Ashi now sees the truth. I don't understand why others thought this went to fast? It is so obvious that her mother had lied about everything, and Jack has saved her life several times.
    Agreed. I didn't even have the time to properly realize it.
    I think I found the first one the weakest. I mean, it was still very good and I was so happy to see Jack again, but I found the fight with that robot nothing special.

I might have missed a lot of jokes in that episode, though. That robot's accent was rather hard for me to understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

Yeah okay, but in all seriousness, I want like, 57 of those blue fuzzy things as plushies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Gatordragon

Gatordragon It's not ale, but it'll do.

Well, this episode was pretty good. Crazy stuff happened here.

There sure have been a lot more curvalicious women this season. First the Daughters of Aku with their curvy lower bodies and now the Scotman's daughters with their curvy... everything. Thanks, character designer!

At first, I was surprised that the Scotsman has an army of daughters. Then I was surprised that he got skeletonized. But then he became a ghost and I was pleasantly surprised.

Nice to see Aishi starting to come around. I figured she was going to become a good person.

The universe sure does want Jack to stay in his caveman look. This is like the third time this season that he has been stripped to his shorts.

And just when you thought Jack lost all hope, it turns out there was still some left in him waiting to be crushed. The horseman talking made me do a double take.

19. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

As usual I end up watching parts of the episode again and again and again and again :sweat: This time it's the part where Ashi gets angry at the plumber robot.

I can't wait for next episode. This episode has turned me into an Ashi fan, that's for sure.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering previous episodes had Jack killing a girl unaware that she was human, had to physically recover from a pretty brutal stab wound and then killed almost all of the girls afterwards, I don't see how this could be the darkest episode thus far. Maybe if the kids actually did die I could see that, but as it was, it wasn't any more intense than previous episodes.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. I kind of had a feeling that the Scotsman would die when Aku wanted to destroy the army, but seeing him burn to a crisp was still pretty unsettling. At least he gets to be a ghost and look like his younger self. A part of me thinks that they just wanted an excuse to have the Scotsman keep his original design despite the passage of time within the series, but they probably have bigger plans for him and his daughters.

Jack leaving Ashi at first was kind of strange given how he wanted to convince her the truth before, but he wouldn't have left her alone on the island either since she'd basically die. I was actually perfectly fine with Ashi's change of heart. I'm kind of surprised people found it to be rushed. Granted, part of it could be due to how they only have a limited number of episodes to work with, so they couldn't stretch out her change as much as they possibly could with a longer season, but it made sense. She already had doubts after seeing Jack not kill the ladybug, her mother refused to answer her questions, although I wasn't sure if that really happened at first, Jack had save her life multiple times despite her attempts to kill him and he did show how Aku's evil was destroying the beauty of nature, as well as countless innocent lives. Honestly, if she didn't believe him after all of that, then people would probably be complaining even more about how stubborn Ashi is. They didn't really focus on her breaking down from realizing that her entire life has been a lie, but Ashi doesn't seem like she would just be upset over that to the point of being unable to do anything else. She wanted to do something to fight back since she is still rather aggressive due to her upbringing, so she would team up with Jack to fight back.

It did get pretty intense with the brainwashed children attacking Jack and destroying his hilarious outfit. The whole situation also hit close to home for Ashi since that's basically what happened to her and her sisters. They were basically brainwashed to be brutal warriors and were treated more like weapons than living creatures. The villain also still felt like something out of the original series, right down to needing a recharge before he continued to torture her. At least Ashi was able to get out and stop the brainwashing, but it did make Jack think that all of the kids were dead. I thought that for a moment too. Going with the ghost samurai was unexpected, but it kind of made sense. He said before that he had seen countless innocent creatures die and being unable to save the children would push him over the edge. Ashi kept calling out to him but couldn't find him. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

• Like Like x 1