1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCV" [4/8]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The Dutch voice-actor of Jack survived a fall from 1000 meters (=more than 3000 feet) without branches breaking his fall and with asphalt instead of snow to land on.

Granted, he did have to go to a hospital.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Source?

3. Red Arrow :D

#103 Red Arrow :D, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

The ending was simply beautiful.The way she realized with the ladybug causing her to flashback to her childhood, and how Jack treated it differently from her mother. Ashie's bickering reminds me of Omi from Xiaolin Showdown, which isn't surprising with the voice actress. It seems that despite Jack giving them a choice and they choosing to fight, Jack still feels guilt over having to kill them. It's a shame there were no other survivor aside from Ashi. Though one body is missing since there were three daughters that went down and only Ashi and one deceased daughter was shown. So maybe a surprise survival of the missing Daughter will happen.

People take things too seriously. I didn't like having to wait another week for a new Samurai Jack, but I wasn't mad about the prank.

I felt tears coming with that ending as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"You know people pay money for this kind of thing....it's called acupuncture."

A rare "talky" Jack episode. Every once in awhile we get that from Jack where Phil actually gets to say more than a few lines. And yea it was really funny, his interactions with Ashi were fun...which is funny since how intense the action has been between them so far. In fact this episode had a lot of comedy in it, which is fine because I laughed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Overall this one was really great as always, I really did like Ashi's role in this one she was both funny and worked well to bounce off of Jack. Then I really liked their adventure in the creatures body. Oh and I just can't wait for next week to see one of Jack's old pals.

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Quite a bit of dialogue from Jack this week, which was a nice change of pace, and it actually invited a little more levity into this story. I think we are close to halfway through this miniseries/season now. I'm curious when the opening will return. Or is the new intro just the new opening we have now?

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty fun episode. Like most are saying, it was a nice change of pace from the grimmer episodes of late, and snarky Jack is something we've been needing more of. The animation, especially with the neon creatures near the end, was mesmerizing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, he did show remorse in the previous episode. He felt immense guilt over killing just one girl, had to take time to recover physically and mentally from it and understood that he needed to kill them out of self-defense. Even when he offered them the choice to leave, he clearly sounded disappointed/sad that they chose the path that led to their deaths. Jack wasn't perfectly fine with killing them. He was just focused on defending himself and couldn't take the time to focus on his feelings, but once he thought it was all done, his guilt was able to shine thus, thus we got the crows calling him a murderer. Jack isn't bi-polar just because he didn't instantly show remorse for his actions. It was painfully obvious that he does feel bad about killing people, so I don't see how you could have gotten a different interpretation there.

Anyway, I thought that this was a pretty good episode. Jack was pretty lucky that he didn't get any more injuries from that hasty fall. The crows calling Jack a murderer further showed his guilt and how much this battle has taken a toll on him mentally. He may have realized that he would have to kill out of self-defense, but that doesn't mean that he was happy about it. I figured that Ashi would survive. They wouldn't kill off all of the Daughters of Aku, especially after naming one of them, just like that..

They were in a monster's body, but it was a lot more unique and creative than the other cases where Jack was inside a monster's body. I liked how Jack was trying to reach through to Ashi. It showed that he wanted to help her instead of fighting her directly. Plus, some his snarky lines were pretty funny. Ashi was pretty focused on her mission, but that was to be expected too. They did have some nice banter though and their attempt to get out of the monster was pretty intense too.

I liked how they used the ladybug to connect to Ashi's childhood. She seemed to be more curious about the world than the other girls and she wouldn't want to crush something like a Ladybug. Jack letting it go instead of crushing it did seem to affect her. I don't know if her heart has changed completely. She was raised practically from birth to kill Jack and worship Aku. I don't know if that could be altered so easily, but it at least probably caused her to reconsider what Jack has been saying and made her unsure about whether or not she should kill him.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. It was lighter on action, but I think that was needed after how heavy and intense the last couple of episodes have been. Plus, there were some funny and intense moments, so it was still pretty entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Jack's not bi-polar. The man has been stuck in a terrible future for 50 years. Of course that's going to make him go a little peculiar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If anything Jack is suffering from PTSD( or as Carlin would say shell shock :p ) which would make sense, even moreso with having lost his sword.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I needed this episode. After Jack losing his sanity, just some basic, old-school fun was what the doctor ordered (I need a gif of Jack screaming after Ashi continues to be uncooperative). I do also wonder if one of the Daughters of Aku survived her fall like Ashi did.

13. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Yeah, I think it's highly likely that one or two of the others who fell at the end of episode 3 survived the fall and escaped - most likely back to the High Priestess. She/they wouldn't have spotted Jack, who was buried in the snow and may have been out cold for a few minutes. Also, Ashi's unconscious body had left a trail of blood, which suggests to me that one or two other Daughters dragged her along before simply leaving her for dead - just like how the first Daughter killed by Jack was dragged into the light before being abandoned.

She/they will be back to cause trouble later in the season, I guess...

14. Red Arrow :D

That Daughter on the ground at the beginning of the episode was dead and it certainly wasn't Ashi. Ashi couldn't have pulled that metal chain out of nowhere, right? She saw Jack looking at her dead sister and then he got crazy because of those crows so she took her chance and attacked him.

15. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

The Daughters all have distinct haircuts though, and that one had Ashi's haircut.

16. Red Arrow :D

Seriously? Then where did that chain come from? She must have hidden it in the snow.