1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCV" [4/8]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Apr 1, 2017.

1. IndieWriter

IndieWriter New Member

Alright, that ending was pretty good, not too shabby at all.

That preview though... 'bout time we saw the master of masters get some action himself, ain't it?

2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Another great episode, it was trippy at times. And yes we got some character in sight, but it is wrong for me to think this episode was hilarious. And for a ninja assassin, Ashi is adorable.

Next week, it looks like we are focusing on other characters, we might not see Jack at all.

3. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

But we can't be sure, can we? After all, Ashi wasn't in last week's preview.

4. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

You know, in Italian culture, it's bad luck to harm ladybugs.

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

Pretty good episode tonight. I wasn't expecting one of the daughters to have survived. There was also some beautiful animation in this episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

This is my favorite episode of the season so far. After the darkness of the previous episodes, it's good to see the show (and the characters) regain a sense of hope.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ZeroKelvin

ZeroKelvin One poppin' pariffero

Geez, Jack's been swallowed by things before, but it was like Wonderland inside that whale/sea monster. Not bad for Ashi's experience in the outside world too.

Seems like there's gonna be a lot of action in the next episode, and the Scotsman's making his triumphant return too!

8. D-nice is the man.

I did like the episode and how Ashi realized that killing Jack or anyone or anything (possibly Aku), was no longer her priority.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You know probably due to the nature of the series, I don't think Phil LaMarr gets enough credit for his portrayal of Jack in this series. Probably due to the fact there are episodes where Jack doesn't talk or we just see the more serious and stern part of his character, it can be difficult to remember how honestly kind of multi faceted Jack is due to not only the animators but Phil breathing life into him. I think this one especially gets it because for the first time since the revival started we get to see some earnest comedy from Jack. Granted a lot of situations and bits from the series are more Jack is the straight man playing off the lunacy of the world but he has never been totally humorless or witless before and honestly I think this one did a really good job of capturing that. From him constantly arguing with himself over what to do with Ashi and being annoyed variations of him keep popping up to the "really?" when Ashi was attacking him as they were being attacked to trying to get gratitude for saving her life and getting nothing to "you saying hideous I consider a compliment." This is probably the most light hearted episode of the revival so far as though there have been a couple of jokes so far with Scarmouth and Aku it's nice to see Jack himself get in on the comedy. I do think there was a wasted opportunity for a joke though since Jack mentions being swallowed before and could of made more of a direct reference to Jack and the Flautence dragon (which I never cared for myself but I can still appreciate a reference to an ep even if it's one I don't like) but most of the humor here actually did work well. From the various voices to Ashi's ramblings on and on and that stare of hatred when it came to Jack especially him removing the needles from their faces, did work and though looks like next time we're going to get some more comedy as well, this did a good job bringing the laughs.

Though besides showing us some pretty unique creature designs within the beast, the big thing here is Jack and Ashi bonding and ending the daughters of Aku arc. I do feel that Jack took responsbility for the deaths of the daughters but you know still having to directly kill someone and finding a person programmed like a machine is going to get to you but I like how Jack is handling it in a "if there is someone left maybe I can at least reach them." And honestly though Ashi is sort of dead weight here that didn't bother me as it would in a lot of other stories because here that's the intent. Jack isn't saving her because it's the easy obvious thing to do but the noble more grueling task wanting to prove that if he isn't in direct danger of being killed he doesn't need to take a life and trying to see if he can reach Ashi. And I do like how most of this episode went out of it's way to show his words and gestures alone wouldn't do it since yeah it's going to take more then just spending a day with someone to undo years of brainwashing. Which should mean the ending where Ashi doesn't decide to try and kill Jack again not work but... I think how it was phrased and again seeing a bit like this in the first episode shows that kindness and wonder may of attempted to be beat out of Ashi and the daughters but does exist deep down. And whether or not she sees Aku as truly evil or not even she knows that wonder that gave her a distraction even momentarily from her training hell is not something welcomed on his world but something Jack accepts. So if this is the start of more of an arc and not just the end of it I'd be down with that. Especially since yeah it would be nice for this last part of the story for Jack to have someone to bounce off of especially since it'd probably help his sanity then talking to all those voices in his head. If this is the end of her arc and she becomes just more of an ally now that would be too rushed and not work but the actual ending here though I guess a bit corny still works for me and does feel earned.

So yeah a solid episode. Granted we didn't get the super epic battles of tension of the last episode but this was more of a breather allowing Phil to show off Jack's humor, give some more depth to Ashi (who again I hope has more to her character) explore a unique world and bring an end to the battle with the daughters in a less bloodless way then we got got the last couple of episodes. Looking forward to how the rest of the series wraps up especially with what next week's preview showed but again another solid ep. I could see how some could call it the weakest and maybe due to being the less "adult" we've gotten so far I could see that but again I still feel it really works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #89 Neo Ultra Mike, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  10. IndieWriter

IndieWriter New Member

I love how you see it from this perspective. Probably the most hopeful episode yet, symbolically and literally. Hell, even in complete darkness inside the bowels of the beast, the beautiful creatures help Jack escape and see the light again. That's awesome, making me wanna watch it again already lol

11. DBTrilogy100

DBTrilogy100 Member

After a week-long delay due to April Fool's Day, we get to see the aftermath of Jack's rematch with the Daughters of Aku. It looks like the fans who suspected Ashi would play a significant role in the season were right as it looks like she is the only daughter to survive and this episode gives her more screen time as Jack is determined to help her see the truth. Tara Strong is one of my favorite voice artists and I think she did very well as Ashi, portraying her as dangerous and childish to reflect the traumatic childhood she had. While undoing years of trauma and deception (especially when it starts from birth) is extremely difficult to accomplish, the ending suggests that there may be hope for Ashi.

Jack's rather calm response to Ashi's childish rants and his attempts to make small talk were hilarious and reminded me of the humor from the first four seasons. I felt those humorous moments and Jack's talks with his inner thoughts both do a great job at showing Phil LaMarr's range and I am starting to see what Phil LaMarr meant when he said he had more lines in this season alone compared to the first four seasons in a recent interview. I liked how Jack mentioned to Ashi that he has been inside a creature before (the dragon back in Season 2) and it sort of reminded me of Jabu-Jabu's Belly from Ocarina of Time. Although he is mentioned throughout the episode, Aku isn't seen or heard in this episode which means there is only one more episode in the season without Aku (according to a recent interview with Greg Baldwin).

Overall, I found this episode to be a nice "breather episode" after the intense episodes that came before it. The setting and designs within the creature were quite unique and it felt like a nod to the adventures Jack had in some of the episodes from the first four seasons. I also liked seeing Ashi's progression regarding what she was told her whole life compared to what she saw now and I am curious to see what part she'll play later on in the season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I still hate it and want it to die.

13. Cartoon_central

Great episode, can't wait for next week's, I see James Baxter animated on this episode, I sent him an email on his tumblr account, I'll get back on what he animated whenever he replies.

14. Corwin Haught

Corwin Haught Member

Games Bookstore!

15. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I loved this episode :) I'm a fan of biology so of course I love the inside of a monster. I liked how they made his nerves look like a plant. I liked how they showed the electricity in his brain. I liked everything.

I like beetles so that ending was terrifc for me. For some reason I almost had to cry xD
    You DO realize that April Fools Day starts earlier in Europe, Asia and especially Australia?

I think it's okay to celebrate April Fools Day as long as people don't make more than 1 thread on that day. (Seriously, some people make more than 20 threads, that's not okay)
    In Dutch a ladybird is called a lieveheersbeestje: a (little) lovely Lord's beast :)

16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. It wasn't as action-packed or intense as the ones before, but I thought it was still a good story. Not surprising, Jack and at least one of the Daughters of Aku survived the events of the last episode. Their interactions were pretty good - some amusing moments (Ashi constantly threatening Jack got a little annoying though, to be honest) and I liked how Jack went out of his way to try and save her and convince her that Aku is not exactly what she thinks he is.

The setting was very unique, and it featured some pretty creative designs for those random creatures that just happened to be inside that other giant creature that swallowed the characters. I really liked that short continuity nod when Jack mentioned he's been inside giant creatures before (remember that dragon with stomach problems from the original series).

I also liked the ending, with Ashi having second thoughts and hesitating to kill Jack. It was a simple scene but it got the message accross and it played out very nice. It will be interesting to see how things will continue to develop in the next episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

How both Jack and Ashi survived the fall, beats me,

18. PinkiePie97

I don't know about Ashi, but Jack kept hitting branches, so they may have broken his fall.

19. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

From 2,000 feet?

20. PinkiePie97

Didn't realize it was that long.