1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCIII" [3/18]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I doubt the bounty hunter would've thrown kid friendly explosives. And considering Samurai Jack wasn't on Adult Swim at the time, of course blood wasn't shown.
    It seemed like they were all killed since none of them look like they were at least breathing to show that they survived. It doesn't change the traumatic Jack would feel from killing the girl in this episode since he was expecting robots and that the girl might still be at the age of a child.

If you mean Discord from MLP, then yes. First thought I had when seeing the second Aku was Discord.

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Yes, he said Aku only sends nuts and bots, which means he might have killed nutjobs like those hunters already. But it just doesn't feel right xD I never saw Jack as someone who would purposely kill humans. Several times he was close to a time portal, but then he chose to save someone else instead. (rather than saving the ENTIRE world from Aku!) How could someone like that be a cold blooded killer?

Maybe we should just agree to disagree :sweat:

I do hope to see Princess Mira back in this season. She could give us some clarity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy I should really change my avatar...
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was art.

Also, Aku's new voice actor did a good job emulating Mako, IMO. His scenes were very amusing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. The opening bit with Aku was pretty funny. The years have took their toll on him as well. His new voice was okay. He was definitely trying to sound a bit like Mako and it generally worked, but I still felt a bit sad over knowing that Mako passed on long before this season was even a possibility. The therapy session in particular was quite good, especially when it was something that I could have seen happening in the original series. Aku destroying all of the time portals would definitely make Jack's quest impossible to complete and hearing both versions of Aku screaming die was kind of funny.

I was really surprised that Jack was considering suicide. It made sense given that he has been so tired of his fights and he has failed in his mission, but that was pretty darn intense. The chase scene through the temple was really good. There was even less dialogue than I was expecting, but the visuals and music were great. It still provided some strong tension and suspense as Jack was running from the Daughters of Aku. I figured that they would be strong after all of their training, but they were seriously impressive during the fight. Their weapons and strategy to chase down Jack showed how strong they were. Even if Jack had his sword, he'd still have a hard time fighting against of them, let alone all seven.

I figured that they were building up to Jack killing at least one of the girls, mainly due to how he assumed that he only fights against robots, but I was still pretty shocked with how much blood they showed. That was a pretty brutal shot, even though she probably died quickly. At least Jack got out of there, but he still was pretty injured himself. Seeing the wolf and the tigers dead afterwards was a pretty intense way to end the episode, although the cut to the ending bumper still felt jarring, especially when they don't have the original opening theme.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode with some good action and intense moments. They are really taking advantage of the TV 14 rating for this season. So far, it does seem to be working. It's shocking to see, but it still helps that there are some light hearted moments like the opening with Aku. And it still doesn't come off as jarring to see that therapy scene and Jack killing someone happening within the same episode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but my theory on what will happen is this: Jack will eventually go back in time, only for the journey back to undo the 'agelessness' he's experienced as a result of the first journey. So he would arrive in the past as a 70-something year old. From there I assume he would somehow succeed in averting the dark future (I guess he would have to leave most of the fighting to his younger self?), but he would die in the process (or soon afterwards, of old age).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I liked this episode in the sense that Jack was confronted with a new threat and he was essentially stripped down of everything he had. He was stripped down both physically and mentally. So from this to the next episode he was stripped to almost his bare essence, and he had to rebuild himself both physically and mentally as well to workshop his problem of the Seven Daughters.

So when we first meet Jack, he's become much different. He has armor and guns and all sorts of weapons we usually don't see him use. Now all that's been taken away from him.

8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I liked this episode too, if we're talking XCIV. This one reminded me of S2 ep XX with Jack vs the mountain. Almost a companion piece of sorts, as both eps seem to be a story split in two. The difference here is, he's being tormented to the point of becoming ruthless. The last episode explored this as well. The wolf is now symbolic of himself, and now he must make a decision to carry on in stride. Hopefully Tartakovsky pays off all the homages to stuff like Conan the Barbarian, Lone Wolf & Cub and some old school Japanese horror. I'm looking forward to this.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1