1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCIII" [3/18]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Mar 18, 2017.

1. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

That was a pretty dark end.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

And that's two episodes. When does the Scotsman show up?

• Like Like x 1
  3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I like that we got the old school toonami font back.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Formally LegoFan224

Next time on Samurai Jack, Jack is a cold blooded killer now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Samurai Jack is Harrison Ford in The Fugitive!

• Like Like x 1
  6. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

After we get pass the Aku scene, not much dialogue in this episode, I hope the voice actors aren't paid per lines. Actions and scenery spoke, just a great episode.

That is a harsh way to discover your enemies are humans, and now they have a legit reason to hate him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Killer? Yes. Cold-blooded? We shall see. And remember, it was self-defense.

8. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I know that tv14 rating was very liberating for Genndy

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

Wow. Another great episode. Things were already pretty intense in the temple, but it was taken to another level when Jack killed one of his opponents. This season is definitely taking advantage of the V-14-V rating. Really interested seeing what will happen next week. He's not exactly in a good position right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

You think the makers of this show kept hearing people complain again and again about how Jack always fought robots?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ZeroKelvin

ZeroKelvin One poppin' pariffero

That was brutal. Blood everywhere, and the ending scene with Jack in the river and the aftermath of the wolf's battle was pretty chilling. I wonder if Jack will still feel uneasy about what he did in the next episode. I have a feeling the other Daughters of Aku won't be holding back next time, so he's got a lot more weight on his shoulders now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I am not sure he killed her, I have to look the next week's promo, it looks like it is all 7 of the ninjas. I mean would not surprise me if it took more than that to kill one of these girls.

• Like Like x 1
  13. D-nice is the man.

Dang Samurai Jack slit the throat of one of Aku's Daughters and she bleeds, and those Animals fought each other to death, this season is going Ham with the Blood.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Yeah time to face the unavoidable elephant in the room: though everyone has been clamoring for a return of Samurai Jack for over a decade, there was always the issue of how Aku was going to be handled. Due to the unfortunate passing of Mako over a decade ago, the master of masters, prince of pesilance and all around lord of sorrow was without the VA that truly breathed incredible life into the character. And though we heard a sampling of it last week, this week shows what the new voice of the character is going to really sound like. Which is of course Greg Baldwin aka the guy you get when you had a Mako and need to hear him again. Who also replaced Mako as splinter in parts of TMNT and of course as Iroh in bits of season 2 and then fully in 3 of Avatar the Last Airbender and the follow up series Legend of Korra. And... Greg Baldwin is still a talented VA and is obviously trying his best but it's pretty clear he does kind of pale in comparison to Mako. Which is honestly more noticeable here since in season 3 of Avatar, the comedy with Iroh was much more down played along with him giving more epic sounding speeches which made sense for the narrative ATLA was going for. This is trying to still have Aku as Aku and it just feels off. The joke of him waking up being annoyed with the mud people and being his own psychatrist who can't even say Jack's name during sessions are all good bits and have good timing and feel in the spirit of Aku who could be a rather ridiculous presence at points. But it's just one of those things that just feels off enough not to be totally enraptured with. Maybe it will be something I'll get use to in the next 8 episodes but it is worth talking about because hearing it just took me a bit out of those scenes which again were fine. I do like Aku trying to carry on his day to day routine and I do like him pointing out he destroyed all the time portals and figured he'd just outlive Jack instead of directly facing him (I still think that's due to the events of "Jack Vs Aku" where comedy episode or not showed Aku realized a forumla in their fights and in a way to himself finally admitted he couldn't directly defeat Jack) but due to the effects of the initial transportation Jack is ageless. So yeah seems like even another more indirect way of Aku trying to get rid of Jack has resulted in him still being a major thorn in his side. I guess you could argue "wait why did he make all those time portals then or did those just happen" but... that's something that goes back to the original series and eh could just be one of those issues of dealing being in a more heavy sci fi verse and what and not really something you're suppose to quesiton. I do question if all are destroyed since I still think we're going to see the return of the Guardian as yeah it was prophecied he would face Jack in the future and be defeated so Jack could go back in time but... eh guess we'll see how that will play out.

Still that's my only real complaint about this episode since the rest was a lot of great run and attempt to fight but getting hopelessly slaughtered as the tension and fear are rising and the action bits when they hit work splenditley and lead to so many great fight bits. The bounty hunter from last time and the giant mecha bug here though probably powerful were yeah just the appetizers and examples of the kind of menace Jack usually faces and defeats. Compare this to how brutally the daughters come, destroy Jack's bike and most of his weapons and force him to resort and try desperate run and fight tactics to survive and he still only margianlly gets away only taking down one of them. And... man yeah I heard that this was going to deal with Jack's first real honest kill but I wasn't expecting it to be a freaking neck slice. This I think especially feels impactful because though we all knew the violence could get like that, actually seeing Jack committ it is kind of shocking. And you know I think it makes sense he hasn't really full on killed people before because though he is trained with all forms of combat, he mainly always fought with his magic sword. Which remember was purified with the power of pure human soul so it can't likely kill anyone since though it can cut through machines and through demons, humans are different. So I can really buy this being a more desparate scenario. Since like that whole wolf and alien critters battle showed this was a desparate struggle where it was hard to tell if anyone won. And really I liked how much time we spent on the actual chase and into the rain (as well as Jack talking to a variation of himself willing to give up and give up on the honorable path having fought for so long and wanting to go home to his ancestry... again it's the kind of drama and hinting that most shows wouldn't have work but this one really gets) and then the temple setting and the daughters going through it trying to lay traps and them tag teaming Jack and him trying to weave around all of them. Just so good. Man it takes me back to how amazing shows like this are that can just get their action across... just with action without having to really say anything whatsoever that yeah even most american sort of action shows can't even get. Reminds me of that big battle in Genndy's clone wars that Anakin had with Ventress that also involved a fight from a forest to a temple in the rain except here was even better due to being allowed to built to a more bloody and fitting climax. And the sheer viciousness of it and Jack desperatley fighting back makes this work even more then say Jack and the Hunters back from season 2 where it was "oh can't take these hunters on with my sword so just constantly running from them" while having a mix of running and action just added to the tension and adrealine rush until yeah again killing Ashi I believe who was probably the one named last time so you could recognize her dead body here. I think some people are saying it isn't and is someone else but again since we don't know really any of the other's names or personalities at all it's hard to say so just something to guess at here. Again though, such a good thrill and again the tension and drama work and really add to the weight of the situation and make me eager how these battles will play out since I don't think Jack would try to kill more of the daughters if they aren't robots but... they cant be argued with either so how is this going to go? Guess we'll see.

So yeah incredibly awesome action and running and tension and drama of just the thrill in the second half make this a great next part of this. If the only complaint is "the opening would of been funnier if the original VA hadn't tragically passed away a decade ago as Greg Baldwin isn't a 100% spot on replacement for Mako" that isn't much of one really and again super hyped for how the rest of this will turn out.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #74 Neo Ultra Mike, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  15. DBTrilogy100

DBTrilogy100 Member

It looks like Jack's monologue from the trailer is serving as the Season 5 opening, it does make for a nice contrast with Aku's monologue in the opening of the first four seasons. Speaking of Aku, he makes his first "formal"/in-person Season 5 appearance at the start of the episode and that opening scene's humor brought back memories of the first four seasons. The scientists from the X-9 episode appear and made a new model of the beetle bots, but Aku claims he doesn't care about Jack anymore. In truth, Aku is also tired of his battles with Jack and has a therapy session with himself where he figures out that sending Jack forward in time is why the samurai doesn't age and claims to have destroyed all the time portals (although I question if the one being watched by the Guardian is truly gone). Aku's dialogue seems to suggest he isn't aware of the daughters raised to serve him, which I find rather interesting. Although Mako can never be replaced, Greg Baldwin does a great job in taking up the mantle in his absence.

Jack's argument with his inner thoughts did well at hoping just how frustrating things have been for him and Phil LaMarr did well at playing the contrasting Jack thoughts. The implications of Jack contemplating suicide was rather chilling and also shows Jack's feelings of despair very well. The chase sequence with the daughters and Jack's first kill also did well at showing how intense this season is compared to the previous ones. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how Jack's fight with the remaining daughters continues in the next episode.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

• Like Like x 1
  17. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Groovy

• Like Like x 1
  18. IndieWriter

IndieWriter New Member

Oh my God.
    That was amazing.

I enjoyed the first episode, I truly did.
    This, however...
    I just cannot believe how much fast paced tension they packed into one episode... And I have to admit, I did not expect the whole Jack Seppuku situation, or for Greg Baldwin/Aku to make such a lengthy appearance.

Things I did expect, though:
    1. Him killing one of the daughters... The previews really drove home the point that Jack is perpetuated to the idea of the things he is facing are machines, and nothing else. When he sliced that assassin's throat, I really felt the pain in Jack's expression. Poor guy, he did not see that coming at all.
    2. Getting stabbed and escaping via explosion. Again, these scenes were all over the trailers. Still were amazing, though, and I love the fact that he used Scaramouch's sword to do so.
    3. The Jack Inner Monologue thing. This was shown off, but luckily, the most important parts were kept exclusively for the episode, and damn, do I have to talk about that Seppuku deal. First, though:

Amazing things about this episode:
    1. I'm proud to say that the ambiance and tension building scenes are back, and at full force. I was very impressed with the Jack/Wolf parallels... How they were both suspicious of their environments, and hesitant to take another step without making sure danger wasn't lurking around the corner. It helped that each scene was very distinctly lighted, so the audience wouldn't think, say, that the Wolf was going to find Jack, or vice-versa. This really sold the first half of the episode for me.
    2. The animation, the animation, the animation. This was a bombastic display of gorgeous action/chase scenes perfectly blended together in a claustrophobic death trap of a setting.
    3. The firefly - hiding scene was incredible.I have to admit, at first, I thought the music was a little out of place, but as soon as tension started to build... Ohhh baby, I felt Jack's despair. Speaking of despair...

Samurai Suicide
    . Wow, that was handled brilliantly. Subtle enough, but still perfectly clear message - Jack's despair has reached critical levels, and that was a fantastic way to demonstrate it. He's still our hero, but a broken shell of his former self, and I think this episode - more than any of the exposition, drilled into our minds at this point -manages to showcase just how bad things are.

There's one last thing I wanted to talk about...
    The first scene.
    I was really surprised to see so much of Aku so early on, it was pretty mindblowing. Greg Baldwin does a good job, but... man, do I miss Mako. The feel of the performance is just... different. Of course it was never going to be the same, but man... It's just not the same, what more can I say? Hahaha, not like I can blame anyone for it though, Greg still does better than anyone else probably could. Rest In Peace, Little Soldier Boy, we miss you.

I'll probs edit this post as I rewatch the episode, maybe add some cons to the list, given that I'm kinda biased, considering the hype I had for this since last saturday. As for now though, I'm seriously thinking this could be one of my favorite animated TV episodes ever. And we're barely at the second episode...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gatordragon

Gatordragon I will not be snack food!

Ho ho holy crap, the Daughters of Aku don't play! They gave Jack one helluva fight. That had me on the edge of my seat with how intense and scary it was. Jack looked like was crapping himself for most of the fight.

It was good seeing Aku again. I miss his old voice, but his new one is pretty deece. The biggy bad still brings some good humor, though.

Yeah, Jack is heavily traumatized. Most people don't argue with ghosts of themselves about suicide. Realizing that he killed a flesh and blood person sure isn't helping.

Overall, I am so looking forward to the rest of this season.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Loving the show, but his new design update (more proportionate) is slightly jarring to me for some reason. I also miss his skin tone. I liked the cartoony design from past seasons as it worked and didn't take anything away from the seriousness. I know as shows go on designs mature and change but with Jack it's weird, lol.
    Still I'm so so so happy Jack is back.

• Like Like x 1