1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCII" [3/11]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Mar 11, 2017.

1. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

A former member once said "Well, HellCat. I was right,you were wrong." in regards to me saying CN wouldn't let have Jack have an ending.

*laughs like Aku*

This is good. It feels like Jack never went away and the added freedom addresses what little bugged me about the old show. Interested to see where this goes. Back to the past?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Great start to the new season( weird way to put it when the last season was when I was still in high school, and not even a senior :D ) and it hasn't missed a beat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a solid premiere. It's just so cool having new Samurai Jack content after so many years. It was a little more intense and violent than what we had before but it worked. I like Jack's new look and his fight scenes were entertaining as usual. The fight with the singing robot was pretty awesome and the highlight of the episode as far as I'm concerned. Pretty creative and just fun to watch.

There was a lot of other good stuff here - those beetle robots from the original show, Jack's visions, the flashback where they show he lost his sword (hopefully, they'll reveal more about that soon), Aku on the phone and last but not least the Daughters of Aku, who were suitably creepy and should lead to some more interesting scenes in future episodes. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Carlito148

Carlito148 New Member

This new first episode of Samurai Jack was absolutely phenomenal and I couldnt have asked for anything more! Can't wait for the next episode!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy I should really change my avatar...
    Staff Member Moderator

Really good stuff. It hasn't been as long since I watched the final episode of season 4 as many other members (thank goodness), but it still felt like returning to an old friend.

One of Jack's strengths is that it really makes minimalist scenes work; Jack being haunted by the people he failed is done very well without needing to be overly dramatic. You can feel his pain as they berate him.

Meanwhile, despite getting darker, the show hasn't lost it's fun side either, as seen by the zany opponent. In fact, one thing I always admired about the show was that it's villains were quirky in a fun way, not in an annoying way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Carlito148

Carlito148 New Member

I completely agree and forgot to mention that in my review! Even though the new series is much darker and mature, it still managed to keep its fun side with its comical characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I'm not sure if they are legit, but apparently there are actual episode titles for this season that are out there online.

The animation and art style is still spectacular for this show. I love how we are seeing the mental and psychological weight on Jack in this show so far. This is going to be a spectacular season. Genndy Tartakovsky is a genius and this show is pure art.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. IndieWriter

IndieWriter New Member

So, I feel like what the premiere lacked in subtlety, it packed to the very brim with amazing art direction, animation, action and sheer glory.
    The episode is really, really, really re-watchable too. That fight scene between Jack and Scaramouche was intense.
    It really does feel like a culmination of Tartakovsky and his team's work with the series up until this moment.

16 years in the making, people. Can you believe it??

The only thing I can ask for now is more of those silent, tension building moments that defined the original. Yeah, this premiere had tidbits of that here and there, but it was way more focused on the action, which I can't really blame it for.
    I'm so excited to see where this show goes...
    Now, if y'all would excuse me, imma go continue the original show where I had left off. Season 4, here we come :p

Also, I felt this deserved its own post...
    Tom Kenny, you're just bloody brilliant, man. Hilarious performance. Sad that his character was killed off so quick lol

• Like Like x 1
    #108 IndieWriter, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  9. Carlito148

Carlito148 New Member

Yea I loved his character and his creative musical fighting ability. I wish I could've seen more of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #109 Carlito148, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  10. spanky119

spanky119 New Member

Rest in paradise, Mako...

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheVileOne

Reporter

I was curious how the animation would turn out for the new season, but it looks just as good if not in some parts better than the original series.

12. UberHamster

UberHamster New Member

Glad to see that hey still kept the swift action from the original series. The animation was very fluid and it looked so spectacular, definitely looking forward to the season's new episodes.

13. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Is the new season going to have an uninterrupted run, or is there a chance that there could be a break (like a mid-season break)?

14. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

With only ten episodes, that would suck. I highly doubt that would be true.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that the only chance of a break would be if there was a marathon for a holiday weekend or something, but aside from Memorial Day weekend, I'm not sure how likely that would happen during the series' run. I would hope that they'd go for airing all ten episodes without any break if at all possible.

16. Carlito148

Carlito148 New Member

One of my favorite aspects from the new episode was the character substance behind Aku's Seven Daughters.... and also the fact that the episode and the series itself was intentionally nostalgic.... keeping the widescreen aspect ratio and the old samurai jack theme music

17. HORNS1968CE

HORNS1968CE THE LAST MAJOR

If something ultimately leaves you speechless, that means it's done its job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BlooMac

BlooMac Well-Known Member

The full version of the credits has the new CN production card, as seen on iTunes and the UK airing. This is the first Adult Swim series to use the regular CN card, instead of the skull one or a custom one. I wonder if other Adult Swim series are also going to start using it.

19. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

This was awesome!!

I would love to hear Jeroen Keers as the Dutch voice of messed-up Jack, but that's never going to happen. From the moment those babies were coming, I knew I could kiss my Dutch dub goodbye xD
    A grown man with booby looking things on his chest! Or maybe it was a woman? ;)

Why didn't I post here before? :eek:

20. TheVileOne

Reporter

That was obviously just a big, hulking woman.