1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Samurai Jack - "XCII" [3/11]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Daikun, Mar 11, 2017.

1. D-nice is the man.

I really liked the episode granted, I haven't seen much of Samurai Jack. I might have to watch all the episodes from the beginning when I have the time. Man, Aku's Daughters grew up so fast. I also found it funny when that Robot-guy who talked like Snagglepuss got blown up and oil spewed out of his body.

• Like Like x 1
  2. army128

army128 Member

I thought it was Aku's goo spilling out, cause oil doesn't spew out that unnaturally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I don't know how long it will take, but I think at some point "Ilana" ninja is going to be on Jack, and they are going to fight the other daughters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Anyone else get the feeling the chronology of the episode was skewered? It would make sense considering the opening monologue.

The beginning felt more like an ending more than the actual ending and a natural progression with Jack's state of mind. Not to mention the daughter's aging, which unless they take to time to mention how they turned from literal infants to fully trained assassins in such a short time frame via magic or something, can only be explained with time being shown differently to the audience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Michelnunes

Michelnunes New Member

That was nice 1st episode, still not revealing a lot of what's gonna happen in the season, which is nice because it leaves you wanting more, and since this is a not a episodic show anymore, i have total faith in Gendy that over the course of the series is gonna become epic and all. Jack having PTSD was expected and very realistic, i thought he was coming out as a rude, and super angry guy that don't give a damn about anything anymore, but he seems to be a bit of the same Jack, but completely lost, and just wandering through the world surviving the monsters and bounty hunters.

The daughters of aku is a nice concept, that training scene for me felt like a series of flashbacks of how they were born and raised and it culminated into the assassins in present time that are gonna hunt Jack in the next episodes, i didn't feel like all that was happening in the present time.

In a whole the episode left me with a lot of questions lol, especially about the Aku's daughters but i'm pretty sure all it's getting awnswered, it looks like the plot will slowly move on through the 10 episodes with not a single space for fillers and everything which is the correct thing to do in a short series, so i'm pretty hyped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

Wandering a strange world so far away from home for a long period of time can take its toll.

Just ask the girl from I Hate Fairyland.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

Looks like the rumors were true, Greg Baldwin is the new chosen voice of Aku.

And that assassin was definitely Tom Kenny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #87 19MagiswordLane, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

XCII was awesome/enjoyable, its off to an awesome start, welcome back Samurai Jack,

The poor blue alien mother/daughter look like Andorians, cool.

Samurai Jack looks awesome in cool samurai armor and has a beard:D.

Poor Jack to lose his sword and being tormented by scary hallucinations of his parents was pretty scary, poor Jack to give up hope of returning to his time.

Love the Daughters of Aku/The High Priestess, my next favorites of Aku's many cool evil minions, they look like Ilana, sweet, they are cute and have sweet designs:D.I do feel for Aashi though.

Scaramouch, a great funny entertaining robot assassin.

Samurai Jack vs. Scaramouch was great, farewell Scaramouch, he'll be missed.

The Daughters of Aku off to destroy Samurai Jack, Samurai Jack vs. The Daughters of Aku I'll enjoy next episode.

• Like Like x 1
    #88 Radical, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

Hey guys ,
    I saw the episode and it was amazing, it does show that the series is reaching to dark territory as it has Jack losing hope and feels like a failure because he lost his sword by a mysterious samurai warrior like figure and begins to lose his mind that the only thing to help him regain his sanity is to protect people from around the world from Aku’s terror which last 50 years.

I also saw the birth and training of the group of assassins the daughter of aku which is opposite to Jack’s training from the first part of the premiere movie ( Episode 1) but I think that one female member that I sympathize named Aashi will someday be spared from jack in the upcoming episodes and will help him regain his quest to return to the past to defeat aku once and for all.

The designs must have been slightly altered from the original series such as jack’s parents from the hallucination since the style probably has been improved.

Though the old opening sequence no longer exist and replaced by a new one focusing on Jack loss of hope and how he will regain it at least the iconic red ‘jack’ stare which appears at the end of almost every episodes of the original series is still there including the theme song which we can listen from the end credits.

So now we will wait for the rest of the episodes as it will have Jack trying to defeat the daughters of Aku (except Aashi who will be redeemed and join his side) ,regain his determined spirit, Defeat the mysterious samurai warrior like figure, regain his sword , a bit of a reunion with the Scotsman and facing the final battle with aku before returning to the past to defeat him this time.

Though the one thing that puzzles me is why the first episode of season 5 is named “Episode XCII” instead of Episode LIII and will not have a name like ‘The return part 1’,‘The new jack’, ‘Return of Jack’ or something like the original series.

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I explained it in the OP.

11. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

For a rumoured site it kinda makes sense

12. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Well, there is the IDW comic series which was supposed to be canon

13. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Any chance of this airing in the UK soon?

14. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

It will premiere on Adult Swim U.K. on March 16 at midnight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rob32

rob32 New Member

how hard could it be to understand that the scenes with the aku's daughters were spread over many years and not in direct relation with jack's scenes ? I mean, really, it takes an IQ of 90 to understand it.

#95 rob32, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  16. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Wow, thanks! Looking forward to this! :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I think Jack may end up killing one of the daughters next week. The preview for the next episode kind of blatantly hinted at it when Jack rambled about them "just being robots".

Overall, I loved this premiere. The downside is that it went by so fast and ended too soon...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was Samurai Jack. Of course there's a little more mature content as far as the violence and the mental issues of our hero are concerned, but the look, feel, attention to detail, and action is all still pure Samurai Jack. Tartakovsky and co. have really brought back their masterpiece in all it's glory for a thrilling conclusion :D.

If this is supposed to be our new intro, I do like the contrast with the original where we had Aku tell the tale, while here it's Jack telling his own story :).

There's obviously the question of why Jack hasn't aged in 50 years. Is it because of the method Aku brought him to the future? Is it because of the Gods? I'm curious if Aku might have an idea as to why Jack hasn't aged yet, though I also think it's likely that he's probably as tired of trying to kill Jack after all these years as Jack is of life in general...

Jack was always good with making do and improvising with weapons, so I can't say I'm exactly surprised seeing him utilizing a whole arsenal of different weapons now in lieu of his sword :cool:.

The past 50 years have obviously taken a heavy mental toll on Jack in-spite of his physical state remaining in as good, if not better, a shape as when we last saw him. After all these years he hasn't been able to find a way home or make any serious dent in Aku's control over the world, only continuing to fight and fight in what seems like a senseless struggle, and the weight of his mission and that he may have failed his family is driving him to the brink of his sanity :eek:.

Jack's crisis of self is all the more obvious in seeing him without his sword, an important part of who he is and a symbol of his mission and the possibility that he can defeat Aku. In losing his sword Jack has also lost his way :(.

And I just also want to praise Phil LaMarr's performance in this episode. He doesn't miss a beat getting back into one of his most iconic roles and he delivers Jack's mental anguish so genuinely that you can really feel for what Jack's going through :crying:.

Who is that armored rider on horseback Jack is constantly seeing in his visions? Is it symbolic or indicative of someone Jack has actually met? Could he be related to the battle where Jack lost his sword? Is he symbolic of Jack himself, or the person he needs to be to finally complete his mission? Is it a symbol of death, which has taken everyone Jack's cared about but not him? There's probably something to the fact that he keeps popping up when Jack gets visions of the dead o_O.

I would not be surprised if Aku has absolutely no idea about this cult and what they're doing in his name. The way the High Priestess talked to the statue of him made it come off like they're doing all this just to get his attention :sweat:.

I'm guessing Ashi is the Daughter of Aku Tara Strong is voicing? Kind of fitting given the resemblance to Ilana. It was interesting seeing her grow from the least skilled of her sisters into becoming just as deadly as the rest of them, and also that moment where her younger self sees the beauty of the world for the first time, only for her mother to twist that as part of her lesson on the "evil" of "The Samurai." I'm interested to see what happens with her :ack:.

I just love how the first we hear of Aku this season is him yelling over the phone with no idea what's going on or who's calling him :p.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Wow. This is a milestone. The first Adult Swim original action cartoon. Hopefully, it won't be the last.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. I was never a huge fan of Samurai Jack back in the day. The action was great, but I always felt like the story was a bit lacking. I like episodic shows, but I'm not sure if it really clicked with me for this show. But it apparently did for a lot of people when we're here thirteen years later with a more serious season to give the series a proper ending. Go figure.

I liked how we're just thrown right into the action and Jack's conflict. Being in the future for over fifty years would have been bad enough to mess with his mind, but losing the sword clearly affected him as well. That was his main weapon against Aku and without it, he wouldn't be able to defeat him and go home. No wonder he was having surprisingly intense visions of all his loved ones talking to him about how he has forgotten his purpose. He'd feel immense guilt and regret for not being able to go back to save everyone and while he's still fighting the good fight, there's seemingly no end in sight. It would feel like a useless struggle when he can't advanced beyond fighting Aku's robots.The fact that he doesn't age would also tie in with how trapped he feels.

The parts with Aku's daughters was quite intense. Everything from the birthing scene and seeing children being beaten up was pretty surprising. For some reason, I thought that they were growing up really fast due to magic or something, especially when a woman giving birth to seven children at once isn't too common. But being shown years of their training in between Jack's plot made a lot more sense.

This was certainly an Adult Swim show with being able to say dead and actually showing dead bodies. That was a surprise. The robot Jack was fighting was pretty funny and actually would fit in nicely within the previous seasons. While Jack didn't have his sword, seeing him use a lot of different weapons was still pretty cool and the action was still top notched. The ending did feel a bit too sudden, but part of it could be because I wasn't expecting the old episode ending theme when they didn't have the original opening either.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode. I liked that even though it is more intense than the previous seasons, they didn't go all out at the same time. They save the more intense moments when they need it and still have some lighter moments like with Jack's opponent. It's a good blend of the two tones without feeling jarring. It's a good and promising start to the new season.

• Like Like x 2