C&C - "Robot Chicken DC Universe Special" [9/9]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Space Cadet, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

A 30 minute Robot Chicken special featuring DC Comic's most famous characters airs Sunday night at midnight. Like the Star Wars specials, expect a lot of parodies of DC superheroes, both popular and obscure. Tune in and enjoy the ride.

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

So we're getting the Cleveland Show later this month.

3. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Active Member

I'll just post how many Superheros/villains I can recognize.

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Green Arrow
    Aquaman
    Apache Chief
    Hawkman
    Bane
    Red Tornado
    Martian Manhunter
    Lex Luthor
    Darkseid
    Solomon Grundy
    Brainiac
    Two-Face
    Penguin
    Mr. Freeze
    Captain Cold
    Robin
    The Flash
    Cheetah
    The Riddler
    Sinestro
    Toy Man
    Black Manta
    Gorilla Grodd
    Scarecrow
    Bizarro
    The Joker
    Kilowog
    Cyborg
    Catwoman
    Harley Quinn
    Catman

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

What, no Superman/Batman kiss?

5. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

I have a feeling the Bane bit will be used throughout this special.

6. trance2009

Haha, DC does have a lot of ice themed villains. They left out Killer Frost though.

7. TnAdct1

In case you're wondering, Mister Banjo is from the Captain Marvel/Shazam comics.

8. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

firestorm has a right to be ticked mister banjo for real

9. trance2009

Was that Tara Strong or Arleen Sorkin voicing Harley?

10. TnAdct1

Depends on whether or not Arlen was involved in the episode (I know Tara Strong was).

11. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I hope they do marvel special next

12. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

That was an awesome special and I'm glad it was made. You really got to see the Robot Chicken's crew true love of DC Comics and they made a great special out of it.

My favorite sketch was the one at the bar because I thought it was adorable to see the male Justice League members going around trying to pick up woman at a Bar together as a bet and making jokes out of it together. You never really see them enjoying each other like this in the comics or any other medium so it was oddly touching to see them like that.

Also I loved the Aquaman Appreciation Day thing at the end. Seems they really do love Aquaman after all!

All in all a great special and I will defiantly watch it again. Here's hoping for a sequel at some point!

13. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

I love how the finale has callbacks to almost every skit in the special including Mr. Banjo, Sinestro with half a stache, Luthor getting hit by a dodgeball, the ice villains showing up, etc.

The "That's Bane" skits made me laugh the most. Hilarious special for fans of either DC, Robot Chicken, or both.

PS, that Cyborg figure is awesome.

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Wildcat, actually. Catman was just a pastiche of Wildcat created for the Justice League episode "Legends" because DC didn't want the actual Golden Age JLA members to die like the heroes did in that episode.

Anyway, good stuff. The sketches weren't as over-the-top vulgar as some RC sketches tend to be, which is a good thing, and there were some cool callbacks and good gags here as well. I'm basically tired of the "Aquaman is useless" shtick after having seen so many examples of it over the past few decades, but it was nice to see that the other Leaguers really do care about the guy.

Other good bits: Firestorm being understandably peeved about being lumped with the likes of Bad'g and Banjo Man, the 'Punctuation Posse' (I always thought it was kind of weird how the Legion of Doom permitted the Riddler to leave clues for the heroes to decipher their plans and whereabouts, as that really wasn't helpful to the Legion; good to see I'm not the only one who picked up that), Green Lantern cracking up at the sight of the Zoo Crew on Earth C Minus ("You didn't tell me they looked like cartoons!") and of course the big battle at the end which featured tons of DC characters including Harley Quinn, Cyborg, Booster Gold, Samurai, Apache Chief and Stargirl.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  15. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The Captain Carrot funeral sketch had to be my favorite. Hal losing it watching the Earth-C characters walk by was great.

The ending was also fun with the all-out brawl of nearly every character who was in the episode. I noticed Geoff Johns got Stargirl to pop in there too.

16. Luna

Luna Daydreamer

This was pretty funny....While I'm not a reader of DC Comics,I did watch Superfriends as a child,like the Batman films (the only one I haven't seen is The Dark Knight Rises) and I love what I've seen of the more recent animated adaptions (Justice League/Unlimited,some episodes of Batman the animated series,Batman Beyond,and a few of the films,like Justice League:Crisis on Two Earths,Batman Beyond Return of the Joker,and Justice League: Doom...I'll be watching Young Justice next)...

My favorite parts were...

The opening (which references Superfriends)
    Superman getting the idea to kiss all his villains to make them forget (like he did to Lois),only for them to all fall in love with him
    The superheroes trying to pick up women at a bar,especially Batman being annoyed that he had to stay in costume,and Aquaman hitting on a woman who turned out to be Martian Manhunter...
    Aquaman Appreciation Day...Aquaman turning on everyone (by smuggling the Legion of Doom in inside a giant horse-shaped cake) after being fed up with their abuse,only to find out they actually do care about him was nicely done...

17. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Best Robot Chicken ever. I liked that it kinda had an actual storyline, with Aquaman's betrayal and all. And that it wasn't afraid to go really obscure with the DC stuff. Seriously, Ice was in this.

Hard to name a favorite bit, but I really loved the unwarranted crapping on Firestorm and how angry that made him. Also Superman kissing people, including floating down on a bed like that scene in Ghostbusters. Oh, and Toy Man's disappointment that he couldn't Secret Santa exploding presents. And Glen's glandular condition.

18. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

Wait... Wonder Woman can fly? Then why does she need an invisible jet?

19. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

she uses it for rescue missions mostly for passengers and cargo and even though she can fly she can't fly very fast so for speed too

20. 90'sCartoonMan

90'sCartoonMan Punch Drunk Flounder

I loved this special! Despite the fact that it was Super Friends based, we still got to see guys like Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, and even Harley Quinn. A good selection of characters, and it shows how much I enjoyed it when I thought it was too short. My favorite skit was probably the nerd getting the power ring and his training with Kilowog. I also liked the ice villains and Sinestro shaving.

Don't forget Swamp Thing, and was that Atom Smasher in the funeral scene?