C&C - Rick and Morty - Season One - Talkback

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Space Cadet, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

A brand new animated original series makes its world television debut tonight at 10:30 PM Eastern. Created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, the show follows Rick, a scientist and the alcoholic grandfather of Morty. The show is based off Roiland's Channel 101's animated shorts, "The Real Animated Adventures of Doc and Mharti" although its different enough to be its own show. This is the talkback for the entire first season, which is 10 episodes, plus the pilot.

Episode 1.01:"Pilot"

The entire pilot is up on Adult Swim's YouTube page, so if you want to see it early, here you go:

[video=youtube;tMq3ozw7VME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMq3ozw7VME[/video]

2. Vernikova

Vernikova ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

Just caught it. I thought it was okay for the most part. It got a few chuckles out of me like when Morty was fondling his teacher or when the green alien thing died after escaping from Morty's body (no cardio jell-o). I felt that the last bit with Rick saying some stuff about their future adventures while Morty lost the ability to move went on a little too long (I zoned out a bit) though. I'll try to keep up on a weekly basis but this might be one of those shows that I lose in the fold.

3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk is on a ridey-ride to hell

I liked it. It was funny, the animation was pretty good, and it had this weird Back-to-the-Future-gone-wrong thing about it.

4. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Active Member

Eh, not crazy about this show. The animation is pretty good (except for the squiggly pupils, which irks me to no end), but too many of the jokes missed the mark for me and I felt the show just kind of meandered with no real point to it. I doubt I'll be following up on this series unless it gets a lot of attention/great reviews later on.

Oh, and was that a Ferengi I spotted?

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I'm passing on this one. None of the characters were very likable. There wasn't any real point to anything that went on in the story and throughout there was this mean-spiritedness that didn't gel with me. It wasn't very funny either. The only part that I chuckled at was when the bully got frozen to death.

Why was this a half hour? I think that Rick & Morty would have worked much better as a 15 minute series. The pilot seemed to go on forever, like a bad SNL skit.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I wasn't feeling this one. I had no problem with the basic "Twisted Marty and Doc Brown" premise, but the execution was so mean and gratuitous that I couldn't even enjoy it on that level. The bits involving Morty's family and school I could've seen on any FOX animated comedy. (In fact, this almost seemed like an Animation Domination show that failed its' audition for FOX.) Plus there was a "boys' club" mentality to the whole thing which rubbed me the wrong way. The family had 2 kids, so why was Morty somehow the only kid deemed worthy to partake in all the wacky adventures? Heaven forbid the sister also be allowed to partake in the super-science fun. That irked me, as did Morty's role as the perpetual punching bag/butt monkey of the show.

In short, potentially promising idea, lousy execution.

7. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

A new episode airs tonight at 10:30 PM Eastern.

Episode 1.02: "Lawnmower Dog"

Writer: Ryan Ridley
    Director: John Rice

8. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Lol @ incepting dreams of characters inside the dreams.

9. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Yay Rob Paulsen and Maurice LaMarche were voicing dogs in this one.

Also overall much funnier than the first episode.

10. trance2009

This show really does feel like it would be at home on Fox.

11. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

A lot better than the pilot in my opinion
    Morty wasn't treated as cruely than the pilot
    Jokes that actually work
    Ricks belching decreased

12. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

And they actually used the therm "inception" correctly.

13. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Alright, second episode thoughts...

MUCH BETTER than the pilot. I was worried that the pilot might make an interesting single-episode premise that wouldn't carry an entire series. Turns out I was wrong. The writing is much tighter here and Rick isn't as big of a jackass as he was in the pilot.

If they can keep this up, this could be one of Adult Swim's best original series in a good long time.

14. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

ok, I loved the series premiere, but this episode was even better!
    especially love how the two plots came together at the end

15. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

I haven't seen the pilot, but I thought that Lawnmower Dog was decent. While there were some great gags and the dreams were all interesting, there's something about it that isn't clicking; there's definitely some potential, and if the series finds its footing, it'll be golden in my eyes. So in short, not the best show out there, but still very entertaining.

16. Moto Pete

Moto Pete Do You Believe!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the idea and characters.... will give it 10 episodes

17. trance2009

"We don't sugarcoat it Morty, the pirates are really rapey."

Haha.

"Why are you doing this bit, we're about to die!"

18. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

so is Morty smart or stupid becasuse he is a 12 year old who attends highschool

19. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

Did anyone else see the irony of Rick talking about Jesus Christ near the end of the episode when he stated "there is no God" in the pilot?

I'm surprised by how above average this show's animation is. Sometimes they get some really nice looking bits here and there. The rest of the episode was a fun ride, of course. I thought the subplot with the rest of the family was pretty entertaining as well. It took me a minute or two to remember that the amoeba doctor was voiced by John Oliver. Dan Harmon's got those Community connections.

20. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Argh, I completely forgot to post this.

Episode 1.03: "Anatomy Park"

Writer: Eric Acosta & Wade Randolph
    Director: John Rice