C&C - Outlaw Star on Toonami [2017]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Kitschensyngk, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

A space race. But not the one from the 1960's, I take it.

2. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

The Miho-Kiyo pair work together and take down a robot. Suzuka meanwhile schools them both by taking down the actual guy.

Ahh, yes, the Heiphong Space Race. And the yellow ship. Thus setting up the next two episodes.

I was kind of hoping there wasn't a marathon next week.

3. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Yeah, you could guess Suzuka took down the real Zonfa from her demeanor alone.

So Gene is taking the fight to MacDougall and not saying as much.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. Gene and Jim have been polar opposites from the beginning, but they were arguing throughout the episode much more than usual. Jim wanted to work on solutions to their problems now, while Gene was just too laid back to worry about anything. He didn't even care about the idea of Suzuka possibly trying to kill him again. He did make a good point on how she wouldn't try to pull something like that when they were in a moving space ship, she already proved herself to be an alley and the pirates would go after her even if she didn't come along because she helped them, but I liked that they did address that potential concern. Gene and Jim arguing so much does make me wonder how they met and started their business together. They're clearly both orphans and Jim probably considers Gene an older brother of shorts, but learning how their relationship started when they're both so drastically different would be really interesting.

At least they were able to work together to take down a wanted man, even if was just an android. I don't know if Jim's help was all that noteworthy, but I think it was mainly due to how quick and easy the android went down, even after he got up from the first fatal looking attack. Their reaction to Suzuka killing the real wanted man was kind of strange. I understand that they wanted to prove themselves, but they still got money for supplies and the chances are pretty good that Suzuka would help with giving her money. I doubt that she'd keep all of it to herself, especially when she seemed to plan out going for a large bounty when she first left the group. Maybe the whole wanting to prove themselves as men by providing the money on their own falls flat to me, but it still felt like a mostly non-issue. Gene noticing MacDougall's ship and rushing right out of the station makes me think that they'll have a confrontation in the next episode. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

5. Kitschensyngk

Just a friendly reminder that Outlaw Star, along with the rest of the regularly scheduled Toonami slate, will not be seen this week because of another Samurai Jack season five marathon.

Not sure why they chose Jack considering the upcoming holiday. I'm almost wondering why they didn't go with Tokyo Ghoul, but perhaps it was because either the TV rights must have expired or they got just as tired of showing it as we did of watching it.

In any case, we will pick it up with the Heiphong Space Race next week at its regular time. Happy Halloween!

6. Master Knight DH

Right. So what I wanted to talk about was the Miho-Kiyo stuff. Or rather, one key appealing aspect of Savvy Guy Energetic Girl: how it makes things interesting. May I point out that the trope happens because it's a gender inversion of how by standard for a stereotypical couple the male is the Miho and the female is the Kiyo. SGEG obviously reverse that. Of course, now it's used often enough to be its own trope. I have seen no fewer than *EIGHT* cases of SGEG show up on Disney XD alone, even if that's counting films. However, the fun with tropes is not their existence, but their creative application.

In general, most cases of SGEG involve the male having less respect than they should--I've already ranted about Phoenix Wright pulling some eyebrow raising treatment of Maya Fey unapologetically, even if he's overall nice to her regardless. It still bugs me that even in Spirit of Justice he would think little of Maya's Eureka Moment inspiring comments. Now the general handling of SGEG has improved over time, but there's still some active bias toward humor and morality at the Savvy Guy's unneeded expense (hello, Gravity Falls), and it especially involves one common problem: the Savvy Guy still thinks the Energetic Girl is the idiot that her stereotype is, even when it's clear he's being shallow in that regard. I like to think that I personally avoid that pitfall, that I recognize the creativity that can be provided by a Genki Girl, creativity that would just need streamlining.

That brings me to why I'm writing this post: that I'd be a realist trying to help a dreamer not get suffocated by a surprisingly nasty reality. At least that would be my own dream. There's that keyword: dream. I'm going to particularly emphasize that I have trouble remembering deeper reasons for that than the obvious. I also have the problem of having to prove to other people that I'm not some superficial twit, which is yet more problems with people IRL just treating me with condescension if I'm lucky. That the condescension I complain about there is unnecessary for a reason also points out that perhaps I do have my own brand of selfishness, even if it is at least more methodical.

I think what is important is to help creativity flourish, while making sure the rough world out there doesn't knock them too far off balance. (And also making sure their morality isn't busted, but that 1) should go without saying; and 2) is besides the point anyway.) There should be more of this, and less of this. (LightLucario, you might like the first link at least.) That's how I feel, and I'm sticking by it. I just wish the world wouldn't make it so hard to do that.

In regard to Outlaw Star, to not stray too far from the topic of this topic, there's this one episode later on that I was remembering--it's a certain tragic one--that involves the Miho-Kiyo stuff. And I skimmed the episode and was absolutely pleasantly shocked by a comment early into the episode. I won't say what exactly the deal is, though; when the episode airs (technically it has long ago, dubbed, but still), that's when I'll bring it up. Those who don't mind spoilers (probably only about everybody reading the thread) are free to PM me.

Suffice to say, while probably all of us here are Deadpan Snarkers, the Miho-Kiyo relationship stuff can provide pleasant surprises. As they say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

• Like Like x 2
    #586 Master Knight DH, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  7. Kitschensyngk

Miho-Kiyo pairings work best when both the Miho and the Kiyo are on equal footing, as opposed to heroes and sidekicks or intelligent masters and imbecilic servants. It's because the two of them can function as equal parts of a whole, not because one person gets all the glory and the other is the butt monkey. The Kiyo keeps the Miho grounded in reality, while the Miho encourages the Kiyo to cut loose once in a while. Put one of them on a higher pedestal and the other is reduced to being either the buffoon or the oft-ignored voice of reason.

On this show, it's because Gene and Jim are partners in business. One of them is not the other's employer, nor is there a master-slave or father-son arrangement. They're just two aspiring entrepreneurs who work as a unit while occasionally getting on each other's nerves.

(Strangely, while I was working on a response to the above post, it dawned on me that I had recently changed my avatar to the Miho-Kiyo pairing from my own comic. Basically, the long and the short of this whole thing is that I like Peppermint-Patty-and-Marcie-type characters.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    #587 Kitschensyngk, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  8. Kitschensyngk

The word of the day for today is "orienteering."

Orienteering is an outdoor activity often used to train new recruits for the military. In an orienteering race, competitors complete a rough country course using their navigational skills to find their way to various checkpoints, while crossing treacherous terrains and overcoming various obstacles. The object, as with all races, is to reach the finish line in the fastest time, but with the added complication of there not being a visible track for you to race on.

In layman's terms, they give you a map, a compass, some control points, and make you plot your own course.

Various types of orienteering races exist.The most common is hiking, but there is also canoeing, biking, skiing, a version that employs radio direction finding, and even car orienteering.

These days, they even use spaceships.

Welcome to part one of a series mini-arc - the Heiphong Space Race, a galactic orienteering tour around the planets of the Heiphong star system. Also a pivotal event in the storyline - remember that yellow ship Gene saw in that news report?

There will be action, thrills, and one or two dumbass stunts.

Plus, we might get a chance to catch up with some old friends along the way.

Episode 10: "Gathering for the Space Race"

9. Nobodyman

Previously on the Odd Couple, uh...Outlaw Star: ...Well, you know.

10. Master Knight DH

Previously on Outlaw Star, Gene took the crew along to take a 2 week journey to settle a score. Though thankfully, these two weeks were made entertaining by reruns of Samurai Jack.

By the way, interesting point of cultural stuff. Shame I finished the noodle soup I had just now, but at least we shouldn't have to worry about more BS after the morality issues brought about by Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Iron Blooded Orphans tonight.

11. Kitschensyngk

Last time:

You know, the last episode got me thinking - do you think Toonami might put Tenchi Universe back on?

...ehh, wishful thinking, probably. I've got the box set anyway.

And the pre-show bump gives away the surprise.

12. animePWNS

animePWNS Odyssey, ya see!

Hey, I don't remember that bed image from the original. Is that new for the HD version?

13. Nobodyman

So is this gonna be anything like IGPX? Hopefully it'll be more entertaining at least.

14. Master Knight DH

Wait. "Finally"? So it really did take 2 weeks, Gene? I was joking, you know.

15. Kitschensyngk

Hey, I liked IGPX.

And no.

If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

16. Nobodyman

And I didn't. So there we are.

'Kay

So the McDougal brothers are, from what I can surmise, the main villains of the series. And the first order of business is to beat them in a race.

17. Kitschensyngk

Fun fact: they date in a future episode.

They don't make racers stick their logos all over their ship, do they? That looks so tacky.

18. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

Gene Starwind, always a charmer with the ladies.

19. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Well the guy that directed IGPX also directed this. Thus I ask who's more foolish here, the fool making the show or the fool who watches it?

Okay, weird attempt at being clever. BUT I STAND BY WHAT I SAID!!

20. Master Knight DH

As long as you don't show hubris, Fred.