1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - Outlaw Star on Toonami [2017]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Kitschensyngk, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

"Hey, Gene, how come everybody in YOUR crew has the exact same haircut?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Episode 3 was pretty great,

Gene/Hilda crushing McCoy and his goons was awesome.

Enter the McDougall Brothers, my favorite awesome new space pirate villains.

Love Aisha, awesome funny alien catgirl enemy, love catgirls, love her sweet character design, the best character ever:D, poor Aisha demoted though.

Ctarl-Ctarl, such an annoying obnoxious alien name, hehehe.

Gene/Jim's moments with Melfina were great/cute.

Melfina makes the most brutal burns ever.

A great clever dirty underhanded plan from the Kei Pirates on destroying Hilda's friends, they make Champa, Yami Bakura/Vector, Blackbeard/Admiral Akainu, Dio/Straizo/Kars, Miyo Takano, and Satoshi proud.

Cool to see Cowboy Bebop next to Outlaw Star/Lupin III, my favorite awesome classic anime ever, Light Lucario/Scrappyfan will love it:D.

#262 Radical, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Kitschensyngk

At one point in the series she was replaced by Bridgett Hoffman*, who was also the voice of Fuu from Magic Knight Rayearth, Namie from Durarara!! and adult Nia from Gurren Lagann.

*Listed as "Ruby Marlowe" in the credits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

You mean Hilda.

This was a nice episode. As others mentioned, it's kind of crazy that the cliffhanger was resolved with some paint. I actually was surprised (or perhaps failed to notice) that the mechs had human operators inside of them. Melfina's comment on "performance" was funny. Speaking of Melfina, I was guessing that she was played by Dorothy Fahn given her voice reminds me of Melody from Hunter X Hunter. Aisha seems like she'll be interesting. I'm kind of surprised that (based on her ship's crew) her whole race seems to be of dark complexion.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was okay. The resolution to the cliffhanger was rather anticlimactic. Admittedly, part of that could have been due to waiting two weeks for the conclusion and using paint balls was at least a creative solution to their problem, but it was just a bit too quick and easy for my tastes. At least they were able to get to their ship and escape before the other outlaws could get after them. Melfina's line about Gene not performing was weird, but the other characters' reactions to it was kind of funny. Melfina still seemed to reach out to Gene when he was still feeling sick over the takeoff, so that does make me wonder if they're going for some connection between the two.

I couldn't get a good impression on Aisha's character, but she was loud and that did fit if her race is supposed to be cat-like people. It got old to hear the Ctarl-Ctarl chan after awhile though. Given her punishment at the end of the episode, I could see her going after the main cast out of her anger. I really liked Hilda's brief moment with Gene. I would see that scene being used in some old Toonami promos, but it works in context too. Gene is running from his past, or at least trying to downplay his trauma through denial and what I assume is alcohol. Hilda was able to pick up on that and confront him about it directly. It makes me think that Hilda already can read Gene despite only knowing him for a short amount of time.

It seemed like Hilda's friends were all killed and the pirates waited for them to show up to finish them as well. At least Gene was able to help out a bit with the fighting this time. Overall, it was an okay episode. It felt like mostly setup in order to lead into the next confrontation with the pirates, but it was still entertaining setup at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Digital Monster

Though anticlimatic, its not really uncommon for a cliff hanger to suddenly finish and the characters to move to the next scene. The point of such a moment is to spark enough interest to staying tune for next week, and to keep up the rapid pace.

Besides, Hilda already done this stuff in Ghost in the Shell SAC already. That Mecha fight would have lasted 2 seconds. :p

As for Melfina, well, you'll see this week's episode.

Another staple of Space Opera: Warrior cat Aliens. Not a bad thing though if done creative enough. The Ctarl-Ctarl are far from the Kzinti of Known Space (for one, the Ctarl-ctarl are smarter and not as jerkish) and Kilrathi (warriors but reasonable enough). They're fun, silly, and awesome claw-armed kitties. :3

Like most Act 2s, the story mostly exists to set up the climax. And it's hard to avoid that - the third act needs build up, otherwise we don't get much out of it.

7. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

I want to leave a reminder that Mitsuru Hongo also directed IGPX and a number of episodes of that showed ended with a cliffhanger mid-race, as well as having its own signature stylized, "to be continued", label at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gatomon41

25 Minutes until Go!

9. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Previously on Outlaw Star, a 2 week standoff was quickly ended simply by shooting paintballs.

Tonight, Hilda may have proven too clever for her own good...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kitschensyngk

Tonight is a pivotal episode in the series.

For one, we finally meet our title character!

But also, something else will happen that has an effect on the path our protagonists will take.

What will Gene and company do...

Episode 4: "When the Hot Ice Melts"

(and now that you've read the title, you can probably guess what the second thing is)

• Like Like x 1
    #270 Kitschensyngk, Sep 17, 2017 at 2:26 AM
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 2:32 AM
  11. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Previously on Outlaw Star: So let's throw a loud catgirl into the mix, among everything else.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gatomon41

This episode, we discover the paradox of Hot Ice.

13. animePWNS

animePWNS It's here!

Episode 4, actually.

14. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

Is that similar to dry ice? Or freezer burn?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kitschensyngk

Last time: A species so nice they named themselves twice.

And now you know why everything in Chinese in space.

Who put a garage clear out here?

16. Gatomon41

Giant robot arms for warships.

This show is not hard scifi is it?

Also, Doom Doors!

17. Kitschensyngk

Ladies and gentlemen, the XGP-15AII.
    Not to be confused with GXP, the crappy Tenchi Muyo! spinoff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Master Knight DH

Master Knight DH Active Member

Well hey, as long as ship battles don't degenerate into camping with projectile spam.

19. Gatomon41

Alas, XGP-15AII was too awkward for a anime series title.

20. Kitschensyngk

How excatly was money exchanged? Bribes? Blackmail? Special favors?

GOOD MORNING DAVE.

• Like Like x 1