1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C - One Piece - "Brook's Great Struggle! Is the Path to Becoming a True Comrade Rigorous?" [3/18]

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Nobodyman, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opening 10: We Are! (Remix)

Last Time on One Piece: After Lina reveals that she has searched all over the ship, Luffy decides to destroy the ship in order to find Sayo. The Straw Hats manage to fight off Doran's men, but Doran unveils a large cannon and aims it at Sayo. Sayo tells Lina that their father truly cared for them and believed that his research would bear fruit, and left in order to protect them from his pursuers. The Straw Hats manage to rescue Sayo and destroy Spa Island, and notice that the X on Lina's father's map pointed to an X-shaped underwater volcano opening beneath the island. Several days later, Sayo and Lina complete the gem and send it to the Straw Hats, but as candy rain falls on the Sunny, Luffy accidentally loses it.

And so, after nearly four years of almost completely uninterrupted broadcast, tonight marks One Piece's final night on Toonami (again). I'm sure many of you will be sad to see it go and I'm sure there are many of you who will be more than happy to see it go. But, regardless of how you feel, there's no denying that One Piece has earned its spot as part of the Toonami legacy. And while I do admit some episodes could be a chore to get through, and it will be nice to be able to get to bed a bit earlier on Saturday, I know I'll miss having the One Piece anime as part of my weekly routine.

On a personal note, if it isn't obvious yet, One Piece really does mean a lot to me. I started reading it when I was in high school, which was more than a decade ago, and it quickly became my favorite manga series (notice I said "manga", not "anime"), a title that it still holds to this day. I'm not gonna say it's a perfect series, and it's far from being a perfect anime adaption, but beneath all the loud voices, the slow pacing, the sometimes choppy animation, the irritating filler scenes, and Oda's...questionable attitude towards women, I feel that One Piece has a real heart to it. Despite its missteps, it's a beautiful, colorful, whimsical story about freedom, adventure, friendship, and dreams that offers a ray of hope and optimism in an often bleak and cynical world.

Yes, it is a bit frustrating that many of my fellow American viewers don't seem to enjoy or be able to make a connection with this series that I like so much and, as a result, the anime can't stay profitable enough to remain on the air. But, ultimately, my relationship with One Piece is my own, and as long as there outlets open to me that where I can watch, read, and buy One Piece, I'll be a happy camper. And I hope my fellow One Piece fans can keep a similar positive attitude. And I have nothing but gratitude for the Toonami staff for giving One Piece more than a fair chance and continuing to keep it on the air even when, ratings-wise, it probably didn't deserve it.

As for the future, well...One Piece is still going strong in Japan, having become the best-selling manga of all time and recently setting a Guinness world record, and it shows no signs of stopping any time soon. And as long as the manga and anime continues to be released here in the U.S., you never know what the future may hold for One Piece.

If you want to continue to watch and support One Piece, you can watch streaming episodes at the Funimation Site, OnePieceOfficial.com, and Crunchyroll. You can also purchases the DVDs, which are still being released by Funimation with the latest one set to release on June 20th. Also, don't forget that One Piece Film: Gold and the Heart of Gold TV special will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on May 2nd. And, of course, you can purchase the manga, which is being published by Viz, with volume 82 set to release also on May 2nd.

So, as a sendoff to the show I thought I'd post a nice little AMV I recently discovered that I feel encapsulates the spirit of the series pretty well.

Bon Voyage, One Piece.

NOTES

________
    -One Piece S8V5 is now available!
    -One Piece: Collection 18 is now available!
    -One Piece Collection: Box Three (containing episodes 206-299) is now available!
    -One Piece Film: Gold and the Heart of Gold TV Special will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on May 2nd!
    -One Piece S9V1 will be available on June 20th!
    -One Piece: Collection 19 will be available on May 23rd!
    -One Piece simulcasts every week on OnePieceOfficial.com and CrunchyRoll.com! (in HD!)
    -Volume 81 of the One Piece manga is now available!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

Beautiful post. I have nothing to add.

3. Nobodyman

Previously on One Piece: Spa Island goes down, as does the Foxy Crew

"One more toast! Raise your glasses!"

4. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

A toast to one of the greatest shonen series on the best action block of all time. #OnePiece

5. Nobodyman

Poor Brook, spending all those years on that ship alone, and now he has to steer the ship alone.

Ha! Call back to Brook's noisy wake-up calls

How appropriate that Brook recalls all the Straw Hats' adventures *sniff*

Luffy! How can you take Brook's food? He's just skins and bones! ...or, just bones.

Poor Brook just can't catch a break. Someone needs to throw him a bone. Of course, he already is all bones

#5 Nobodyman, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. MasterofRoku

This is why we have labels for food, people.

7. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

So, fun fact, the first half of this episode was one of Ian Sinclair's (the voice of Brook) funniest times recording as the character (skip to 51 minutes, 39 seconds if the video below doesn't already do so):

8. Nobodyman

Looks like we're getting some Brook/Robin bonding

Enies Lobby. Ah, memories.

Yep, with Luffy it's as simple as that

Time to ship out Binks' Brew...

Onward to adventure!

#8 Nobodyman, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. animePWNS

animePWNS It's here!

So long, One Piece.

10. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

As Brook finally feels settled on his place and comfort within the crew, the Straw Hats prepare for the next journey ahead. But so many unknown things await them and with so many questions left to answer.

- Will the Straw Hats ever make it to Fishman Island?
    - What new pirates will the Straw Hats encounter next?
    - What has become of Luffy's brother, Ace?
    - What has become of Blackbeard?
    - What new outfits will the Straw Hats wear?
    - Who's the next bastard Luffy will punch?
    - DO WE NEED TO OFFER HIM MORE?!

Find out on the next arc of One Piece on DVD!!!

[​IMG]

11. MasterofRoku

I wanted to give some of my thoughts in the departure thread, but I'll do so here too...

Last Friday I was feeling pretty good, Jack was coming back and the block would hopefully see some strong numbers. A while ago I was counting the weeks until certain events in the anime would occur. Then, my sister informed me of the news and it kinda broke me a little. I figured what with the Television business not being as good as it used to be, there'd be some leeway but apparently things aren't what they seem. I was concerned with One Punch Man beating it in ratings, but I kinda dismissed it.

I understand that One Piece would never be a blockbuster hit in America, but in its second run on television it managed to hang in there for a while. I'd remember seeing articles/headlines of its performance in the late night slots, and how the show even managed to crack million viewers a couple of times. Besides the factors of One Piece being 'too different' for viewers to stay hooked, the anime's pacing, I believe what also contributed to its departure is the slow decrease in ratings being at the tail end of the block didn't help it much. If you didn't have a Nielsen box, tweet on social media, or could watch Toonami's streams legally your views didn't matter. When I learned about Toonami being cut down and that live tweeting CAN affect ratings, I tried to boost the show among many others nearly every week. Also, according to Jason Demarco there were legal/financial reasons that lead to it's unfortunate removal.

I really appreciate what the Toonami crew did for the show especially promoting One Piece:Film Gold, it seems most of them really loved the series and it's a shame to see it go. But who knows, maybe in the future Toonami will need another longrunner for the slots, and it'll come back. Nothing's impossible.

Until we meet again on the small screen, Sayonara One Piece.

12. Nobodyman

Well, even though it was filler, I actually quite enjoyed this episode. Yeah, the story was pretty light and cliched, but sometimes it's nice to just see the Straw Hats' hanging out on their ship.

And with that, One Piece leaves American air waves once again. As I said before, I'm very grateful for the time we've had with One Piece on the Toonami block and I'll definitely miss it. And I hope those of you who have garnered an interest in the series will continue to watch/read and enjoy it, however that may be.

And here's a little sneak peek of what's coming next (sorry the video's not the best quality).

Farewell, One Piece. Until we meet again.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy I should really change my avatar...
    Staff Member Moderator

If they had to stop, this was actually a pretty good stopping point, with Brook getting over his insecurities, and bonding with the crew.

I'll be continuing to watch One Piece on FUNimation's website.

14. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Farewell, One Piece. See you on DVD and Crunchyroll.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this episode was pretty good. Brook's insecurities made a lot of sense. He was alone for so many years and after finally being with a new crew, he'd want to be worthy of being a crew mate, especially after reading about their previous adventures. Things kept going wrong for him, which was kind of sad, but those were just small mistakes with big consequences. I liked his bonding moment with Robin too. Robin was in a similar position before and she would probably be able to understand Brook the most emotionally because of that. Luffy of course would just answer yes to Brook's question. He already joined their crew, which is good enough for Luffy.

Brook was trying too hard to help out before, but when he relaxed and was more like himself by playing his music, things came together for him. The crew was heading off to new adventures and he was able to deal with his insecurities as a result. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. These past few episodes were filler, but they were pretty good ones and it kind of made me wish for more episodes with the crew just hanging out. That is kind of hard to do when they're in big arcs with major battles, but it still felt refreshing to just see them hanging out on the ship without anything major to deal with. It helps to make their friendships more genuine and it's just nice to not jump from one major arc right to another one.

While I am a more casual fan of One Piece, I am still sad to see it go off the air again. This was still a pretty good stopping point all considered, especially when it wasn't in the middle of an arc or with an intense cliffhanger, and they still aired the show for a long time even with the ratings being lackluster. Like I said in the departure thread, One Piece survived when it was taken off Toonami before and it will continue to survive after being taken off the lineup again. The manga is still selling well here, the DVDs are selling fine too and Funimation is still dubbing well into the time skip content of the series. I was looking forward to the next major arc and pretending to not know some of the spoilers. I don't know if I'll keep up with the series, mainly due to time and how I am still more of a casual fan even after watching the series on the block all this time. I do hope that the series continues to do well enough at least in the U.S. for fans to keep on enjoying it though. And I am glad that Toonami gave the show another chance. It still deserved the exposure and they really tried their best to keep it on the lineup all this time. Even though I struggle to stay up to watch it, I will miss watching One Piece as part of my Saturday routine.